David Conn on Abu Dhabi and Human Rights

brotherblue said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
brotherblue said:
Being born and raised in the United Arab Emirates I would just like to say that no country in current time or perhaps even in history has ever had better Rulers than UAE

You just cannot have rulers like UAE, The UAE nationals are some of the most blessed people to have such great rulers, from sheikh zayed to his sons including our owner sheikh mansoor to the rest of the emirates like Dubai sharjah etc.

The benefits and life style that they have provided for their people is unmatched anywhere in the world, the things locals enjoy here are unbelieveable

Education, Health care, Housing, Marriage funds, Jobs and Job opportunities, Business loans and opportunities you name it!

If there indeed were 94 individuals who wanted to overthrow the government than they were probably the most deluded, stupid and completely mental coz there is notthing more a ruler can do than what the rulers here already are doing for their people

And not only their people but for people like me and my parents who moved here 37 years ago to be exact, and we benefited immensely from this country, it gave us soooo much we cant ever thank this country and its wise leadership enough

The peace, security, comfort, education, healthcare, job and business opportunities we got here are unbelievable.

I and my family have never been robbed or stolen from, Never any crimes commited against us, they have worked hard to keep us and our property safe while providing us plenty of opportunities to make a good living and live a peaceful life.

I cry everytime i think of Sheikh Zayed and our rulers here, I really do and im 30 years old!

And IF those people arrested for a great crime like over throwing the government and bringing the country to chaos and causing loss of life, property, bloodshed, instability and other calamities were tortured (which has not been proved) then so be it!

Its not like people in Guantanamo were not tortured or abu ghuraib n all the other secret prisons! what action has anyone taken for them!?

Our rulers and leaders have not committed ANY crime against humanity and not violated any human rights

the country has one of the best safety and security records worldwide
there are no murders and killings here, its UAE for God's sake!

Can I have a job working for the UAE tourist board alongside you?
I am gay - I trust that won't be a problem in such an enlightened country as the one you describe?

You can be gay as long as you dont do anything in public, who cares what you do in your privacy, atleast this aint US and you are not spied upon like u would be in the US!

-- Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:30 pm --

Blue Mooner said:
brotherblue said:
Being born and raised in the United Arab Emirates I would just like to say that no country in current time or perhaps even in history has ever had better Rulers than UAE

You just cannot have rulers like UAE, The UAE nationals are some of the most blessed people to have such great rulers, from sheikh zayed to his sons including our owner sheikh mansoor to the rest of the emirates like Dubai sharjah etc.

The benefits and life style that they have provided for their people is unmatched anywhere in the world, the things locals enjoy here are unbelieveable

Education, Health care, Housing, Marriage funds, Jobs and Job opportunities, Business loans and opportunities you name it!

If there indeed were 94 individuals who wanted to overthrow the government than they were probably the most deluded, stupid and completely mental coz there is notthing more a ruler can do than what the rulers here already are doing for their people

And not only their people but for people like me and my parents who moved here 37 years ago to be exact, and we benefited immensely from this country, it gave us soooo much we cant ever thank this country and its wise leadership enough

The peace, security, comfort, education, healthcare, job and business opportunities we got here are unbelievable.

I and my family have never been robbed or stolen from, Never any crimes commited against us, they have worked hard to keep us and our property safe while providing us plenty of opportunities to make a good living and live a peaceful life.

I cry everytime i think of Sheikh Zayed and our rulers here, I really do and im 30 years old!

And IF those people arrested for a great crime like over throwing the government and bringing the country to chaos and causing loss of life, property, bloodshed, instability and other calamities were tortured (which has not been proved) then so be it!

Its not like people in Guantanamo were not tortured or abu ghuraib n all the other secret prisons! what action has anyone taken for them!?

Our rulers and leaders have not committed ANY crime against humanity and not violated any human rights

the country has one of the best safety and security records worldwide
there are no murders and killings here, its UAE for God's sake!

Having been on holiday to Abu Dhabi it is one one of the safest places I have ever visited, the locals seem to have a lifestyle that is beyond the dreams of 95% of UK people. If there are extremist nutters that wish to impose some hard line Islamist state on the UAE then I applaud the UAE rulers for protecting their people.

The scenes we witness in Syria and Egypt show that what sheikh mansour offers the people of the UAE is safety and security as well as a gilded lifestyle. I simply find it incredulous that Conn and Amnesty international seek to highlight something that in the grander scheme of what is going on in the world is very trivial. This is nothing more than a cheap shot at our club and a means by which they use our club to promote their own agenda's as well as to try and destabilise what is happening at City. Disgraceful journalism.

THIS^

Thank you sir

I have a friend who moved over there due to work commitments around a year ago and I asked him recently when he came back to attend a mutual friends wedding what it was like over there and he couldn't put into words how amazing he felt the country was.

I haven't been personally so I base my opinion on what I hear from people I know and I've only heard good things.

I think David Conn is a rag in disguise<br /><br />-- Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:10 pm --<br /><br />Whoever knows UAE or the way the system works there knows that this article is nothing but piece of shit

There's a myth that David Conn is a good journalist.

I will confess that I haven't personally fact checked every article he ever wrote but the articles he has written about subjects with which I am familiar are consistently inaccurate and naive. They appear to be articles written by a somewhat timid man relying on second hand reports and whatever he can google.

His book demonstrates his naivety as he is consistentlyshocked to discover a financial element in football. He is bewildered by the revelation that Franny Lee has a plan to make money out of the club etc etc. this is not a book written by a man familiar with how the world turns.

His reporting on Thailand was so shallow, so poorly informed it made me wonder whether he was intentionally attempting to mislead. There was no back story, no sense of context, no historical perspective, no addressing of the role of the the military etc. he simply parroted the popular media "party line" with a few more googled facts thrown in to look clever.

And now this on Abu Dhabi (or the UAE, he doesn't seem to know the difference).

The man has no credibility, and if the people on this board did their research they would see through this at best incompetent and at worse intentionally misleading "journalist"

If this story should ever get out of control in any way shape or form now and in the future, (i.e. away supporters antagonising for a response) then we should ALL remember who and how this story originated. No good can come of this.

last time I checked we don't hold people responsable for the actions of their family. Or are we to believe that Shiek Mansour is just a front for his brother and bought the club at his behest? If Charles Manson had a brother we wouldn't hold him responsable for his actions. To me Conn seems to be an anti-foreign owner and pushes these peices into the consiousness to further that agenda.

As an American, I don't know much about David Con(n). However, I heard him last month on a morning radio interview on US-based 'Soccer Morning', and he just came across as whiny, petulant child upset at the realization the game is not all he thought it was.

In the context of the radio interview he did nothing but cry and bemoan US-based ownership of English clubs.

And while this episode is new, the human rights issues involving UAE are not. If the Glazer's cousin were found to be involved in a "Ponzi scheme", United would not be viewed as the PR arm of the family.

When Conn is interested in having a grown up conversation, then I'll listen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.