David Silva - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate that you're close to the player, and it's great that we get an insight as a result. We can't just close a thread though as a result of a few negative comments.

I feel that those posts get undue prominence, as most people, myself included, recognise Silva's value. Indeed, I'd go as far as to say he's my favourite ever City player. The vast majority appreciate him greatly, so let's not ignore that.

There will always be a few dissenting voices, but no one is beyond reproach and we can't simply close a player thread for that. If it's constructive criticism it's fine, and if not then please report it so we can deal with it. Cheers.
Apologies Ric & to any others whom I may have or have offended with my slightly alcohol induced rant yesterday.. the alcohol is no excuse.

It was a recipe for disaster me being a friend of the player and being on here. With all the best intentions aside it was never going to work.

So thanks Ric for your kind reply.... you're a gent. I will take a step back.. one or two others should do the same but as you say don't have to if they abide by the rules. It's a democracy.

Cheers again Ric, Happy New Year to you & all of David's supporters. Jonathon.

Harsh that, silva has been and still is a fantastically gifted and wonderful footballer, but to call people who don't rave about him ****s is childish and pathetic, if we asked for every thread to be closed just because a few people don't agree there wouldn't be a forum, you need to chill, oh and why inform us your meeting him for lunch??, seems bit odd that part, I for one and guess many other couldn't give two shits if meeting silva or any other player for that matter
You are 100% right. On reading it back I'm not even sure of the relevance of lunch. Too many fizzy drinks yesterday.
Apologies

People are too quick to write players off as finished when they hit a bit of patchy form once they're past 29. I remember my (rag) old man repeatedly telling me Giggs was finished when he was 31 because he'd hit a sustained poor patch of form. What did Giggs do at that point? Reinvented his game and embraced yoga (and shag his brother's wife, of course). Played at the highest level for another decade.

It seems players in their early 30's aren't afforded any slack whatsoever for a decline in form by some followers of football. It's a hugely simplistic and flawed way of assessing the game. Footballers don't decline in a linear fashion. Everything is so black and white to some people. That way of thinking is inherently flawed and comes across as a bit moronic tbh.

That would be even more plausible if Silva had even suffered a dip in form. He's been largely excellent this season. Started the season off on fire.
His commitment and work rate have seen him shunted around the pitch as of late and he's dipped a little out of position but centrally he's been fantastic.
It was only a week or so ago he was at his very best vs Arsenal.

I honestly came on this thread expecting fans to waxing lyrical about his recent performances.
The whole dynamic of our game changed yesterday, Silva is brave with the ball, wants the ball constantly and never ever hides.
Yesterday was a prime example. It's often asked when has he 'done a YaYa' and grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. He did that yesterday. He did that vs Arsenal. He took the game to Liverpool when others went hiding.

Yesterday had it all for a central midfielder, high ball retention, excellent work rate, intelligent movement, aggressive passing and intelligent defensive diligence.
He's not creating directly as he once was, but I bet if you watch most of our goals Silva is integral.
He's now often the pass behind the pass.

His work rate and appitite are as impressive as anyone. He's been fantastic when used right this season.
He'll be here while Pep is here and I'm delighted.

Its strange, he seems to have great games when we go down to 10 men.
One of the best performance s I have seen from him. As was when we went down to 10 men vs hull a couple of seasons ago.

More space? More responsibility?

That would be even more plausible if Silva had even suffered a dip in form. He's been largely excellent this season. Started the season off on fire.
His commitment and work rate have seen him shunted around the pitch as of late and he's dipped a little out of position but centrally he's been fantastic.
It was only a week or so ago he was at his very best vs Arsenal.

I honestly came on this thread expecting fans to waxing lyrical about his recent performances.
The whole dynamic of our game changed yesterday, Silva is brave with the ball, wants the ball constantly and never ever hides.
Yesterday was a prime example. It's often asked when has he 'done a YaYa' and grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. He did that yesterday. He did that vs Arsenal. He took the game to Liverpool when others went hiding.

Yesterday had it all for a central midfielder, high ball retention, excellent work rate, intelligent movement, aggressive passing and intelligent defensive diligence.
He's not creating directly as he once was, but I bet if you watch most of our goals Silva is integral.
He's now often the pass behind the pass.

His work rate and appitite are as impressive as anyone. He's been fantastic when used right this season.
He'll be here while Pep is here and I'm delighted.

Great post, another poster who is capable of analysing performances by watching and observing as opposed to just reading statistics.

He was exactly what we needed yesterday after going to 10 men. He gave us possession and control and effectively slowed burnley down. Plus I lost count of the number of headers he challenged. He might not alway play well but the little fella has balls and never hides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.