David Silva

He's not "obviously past his peak" at all.

West Brom last season is his best ever performance in a City shirt.

The first 5 games of the season was the best form of his entire career. And then he got injured.

Unless you're suggesting he peaked in August / September last year?

Give him a run of games injury free and he'll be back running the team and being the best player in the league. People have written him off way too quickly.

Just for accuracy he was brilliant the first 3 games and not the first 5. He was meh against Watford and was injured for the 5th game at Palace.

Calm down.

I haven't written him off at all. I've said he still has a lot to offer.

I didn't say you had written him off personally.

I said you'd suggested he's "obviously past his peak" which is exactly what you wrote. I disagree, it's not obvious at all.

Slightly off topic but was watching the 6-1 the other day and the speed of his thinking and execution was something very very special to behold. That and the general speed of the other players around him, the whole team.

I miss that city, we were unstoppable.

I've enjoyed watching Silva with the ball more than any other City player I've seen. His vision first touch passing and dribbling are first class, pity he wasn't blessed with more pace and a better shot on goal. Whether his injury is hampering him or not, at 30, he's not getting any younger and I feel that Pep will maybe look to sell him. Will be a sad day when he leaves but he will always be remembered here as a truly great player.

I didn't say you had written him off personally.

I said you'd suggested he's "obviously past his peak" which is exactly what you wrote. I disagree, it's not obvious at all.

Fair enough, we disagree.

You can see why I thought you were referring to me when you complained about people writing him off though, right?

Doesn't help when he's getting the shit kicked out of his ankles all game every game, with no help from the duty whistling wanker.

David Silva is a tough little fellow. Saw people writing him off because of his surgery back in 2008, saw them labelling him as "regressing" after his comeback in 2009, saw them discarding him as a mere benchwarmer for Spain and a player too fragile for PL in 2010, saw them calling him "a poor man's Mata" in 2013. Each time he bounced back and returned stronger than before. He's only 30 and I don't believe his fight has left him yet. Medically I still don't see enough evidence suggesting that the injury he sustained from that atrocious tackle will lead to permanent deterioration of his ankle. So both physically and mentally I don't think he's past it.

Even in this poor season, he is still contributing. I'm not only talking about his assists and key passes here, which could sometimes be misleading, but also the importance of his general passing ability, as seen from both legs against Madrid, and the much-maligned defensive work. Apart from much of December and January, when he seemed to be not putting a lot of effort on the pitch (which, in restrospect, is understandable), I don't see how he shirked his defensive responsibility. Did he not press opposition players? Did he not tackle and intercept (interestingly, he averaged 1.5 tackles and 0.7 interceptions per 90 minutes, which was more than quite a lot of players in our squad, including the shiny new toys;)? Did he not track back enough? Of course you could always argue that he could have tracked back more and tackled more effectively, but using these as evidence of his work rate not enough for Pep? I'm far from convinced by such arguments.

How Pep would utilize him remains to be seen. But he would not be "a squad player who plays only a few games", nor would he be another Mario Gotze as some smartarse would like to believe. All these years, he has always repaid the faith in him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.