De Bruyne?

Do I need to start brushing up on the pronounciation of this guy's name yet? So I can scoff at the bloke behind who gets all the foreigners wrong and then never changes?

Zecko we call him. My mate even says loudly "Jecko" every single time he says it, but he won't change. His worst is "Jocovic" (like the tennis player), but he plays so rarely it's not as irritating.

It's pronounced Jayko! Not that it matters anymore.

It's pronounced Jayko! Not that it matters anymore.

If you adopt a Bosnian accent Jecko becomes Jayko. That's when you are getting into the realms of calling pealla "pie - ay - yah". You've got to take the correct pronunciation but not change your own accent, or it's too wanky.

So is it "De Broon" or "De Brunya" or "Di Broo-in"? I'm favouring the latter but my mates will rip the piss if I get it wrong, even once. That pisstaking could last for his entire career, bearing in mind one of us got the first name wrong of a new signing about 15 years ago, and we still even now insert something like "Bert" or "Trevor" in front of the surname of new players when they sign, just so he doesn't forget.

If you adopt a Bosnian accent Jecko becomes Jayko. That's when you are getting into the realms of calling pealla "pie - ay - yah". You've got to take the correct pronunciation but not change your own accent, or it's too wanky.

So is it "De Broon" or "De Brunya" or "Di Broo-in"? I'm favouring the latter but my mates will rip the piss if I get it wrong, even once. That pisstaking could last for his entire career, bearing in mind one of us got the first name wrong of a new signing about 15 years ago, and we still even now insert something like "Bert" or "Trevor" in front of the surname of new players when they sign, just so he doesn't forget.

True, I live with Spanish people so I tend to say ll like a y, i.e., the Spanish pronunciation.

It's De Broyna. Can't guarantee you won't get the piss taken though.

Do I need to start brushing up on the pronounciation of this guy's name yet? So I can scoff at the bloke behind who gets all the foreigners wrong and then never changes?

Zecko we call him. My mate even says loudly "Jecko" every single time he says it, but he won't change. His worst is "Jocovic" (like the tennis player), but he plays so rarely it's not as irritating.
do you sit in 201 Row H by any chance?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.