De Bruyne's assist to Aguëro v Palace

This thread is probably better with an actual vid of the goal/assist in question:

You're clearly a huge De Bruyne fan, and I understand why you must like him so much. He has a great eye for an early, direct pass, and his delivery has been outstanding at times this season.

However, I personally feel you're getting a little bit carried away with the assist in the video above. It was a decent pass, but really the place where he put the ball was the obvious place to put it. In fact, it was the only place he could put it with the way the defenders were running back.

I appreciate it may look like Aguero is pointing for him to put it in front of him, but I just think that is the way Aguero is stood. All good strikers (and Aguero in particular) make 2 runs - "one for the defender, and one for yourself" as Alan Shearer says so often. The run from Aguero here is an example of that. While it appears he's running towards goal and hoping KDB puts the ball across the goal line, Kun's movement is far batter than that, he's not stupid enough to run in to trouble, stay there, and hope the ball finds it's way to him.

De Bruyne did exactly the right thing, played exactly the right pass, but it wasn't some kind unexpected, outlandish genius. It was a simple 5 yard checked pass. Really it was the obvious pass to make, in fact, probably the only pass to make. The kind Zabaleta plays regularly when he is on form.

There are many examples of passes, crosses, first time balls, assists, which show off De Bruyne's incredible talent. Personally I don't think this one is a particularly spectacular example.

He plays with wing mirrors......he's a joy to watch and will only get better with players around him that make the runs, he'll find them

Indeed. Lost count of the number of WTF passes he's made this season. There's going to come a point where him + Kun's pace and running are going to become impossible to defend against.

You're clearly a huge De Bruyne fan, and I understand why you must like him so much. He has a great eye for an early, direct pass, and his delivery has been outstanding at times this season.

However, I personally feel you're getting a little bit carried away with the assist in the video above. It was a decent pass, but really the place where he put the ball was the obvious place to put it. In fact, it was the only place he could put it with the way the defenders were running back.

I appreciate it may look like Aguero is pointing for him to put it in front of him, but I just think that is the way Aguero is stood. All good strikers (and Aguero in particular) make 2 runs - "one for the defender, and one for yourself" as Alan Shearer says so often. The run from Aguero here is an example of that. While it appears he's running towards goal and hoping KDB puts the ball across the goal line, Kun's movement is far batter than that, he's not stupid enough to run in to trouble, stay there, and hope the ball finds it's way to him.

De Bruyne did exactly the right thing, played exactly the right pass, but it wasn't some kind unexpected, outlandish genius. It was a simple 5 yard checked pass. Really it was the obvious pass to make, in fact, probably the only pass to make. The kind Zabaleta plays regularly when he is on form.

There are many examples of passes, crosses, first time balls, assists, which show off De Bruyne's incredible talent. Personally I don't think this one is a particularly spectacular example.

I'm with you on this one. I would have expected any of our team to make that pass. I'm sure there are better examples that showcase his obvious talent

I've been doubting to create a seperate thread for this one. Could've put it on the Palace post match thread but I think it's worth a seperate mention.

Has anyone else noticed how utterly brilliant De Bruyne's assist to Aguëro was against Palace?

When I first saw that goal I reckoned it was just a fine team goal. Yaya to De Bruyne, De Bruyne to Agüero, goal.

It was only in replay when I came to realize just how brilliant De Bruyne's pass to Agüero was. Where probably 99% of all other players would've tried to pass it in front of Agüero, just like the Argentinian was pointing out himself, he decided to pass it just behind Agüero.

So in the blink of an eye he anticipated the Palace defender to come sliding in with a desperate tackle and maybe clearing his cross if he'd do the natural thing and pass it in front of Sergio.

Instead he passes it just behind Sergio anticipating that the Palace defender will be likely to already have slid past that point by the time the ball gets there and Sergio, standing still, will have no problems picking up the ball behind him and tapping in.

To see this, calculate this and take a totally unnatural decision in the blink of an eye has once more convinced me of KDB's football genius.

Did you feel the same after seeing the goal a couple of times?
Yes, I believe I mentioned it on the Yaya thread. His actions in that whole sequence was WC. First he paused and took 2 side steps waiting for Yaya and trying to make sure he wouldn't be offside. (He wouldn't have as the guy who followed Silva would have kept him on, then he timed his run with Yaya's pass, letting his run and the pass, beat the defender.

Then the pass itself was intelligent. Yep, I talked about it on his or Yaya's old thread. Good catch.

I'm with you on this one. I would have expected any of our team to make that pass. I'm sure there are better examples that showcase his obvious talent
I believe you'd be wrong, as I've seen Kolarov and Navas on multiple occasions try to force it into the space. It's an intelligent pass because its so simple, and because it trusts the other player to see the play.

Silva does this with some of his plays too. He makes a play before the other player adjusts and trusts that that player is intelligent enough to see what he sees.

It's higher level football. And not every player has it. Frankly, I see it constantly I. Only 5 players on our squad. Silva, DeBryune, Zaba, Delph and Nasri.

I believe you'd be wrong, as I've seen Kolarov and Navas on multiple occasions try to force it into the space. It's an intelligent pass because its so simple, and because it trusts the other player to see the play.

Silva does this with some of his plays too. He makes a play before the other player adjusts and trusts that that player is intelligent enough to see what he sees.

It's higher level football. And not every player has it. Frankly, I see it constantly I. Only 5 players on our squad. Silva, DeBryune, Zaba, Delph and Nasri.

It was 5 yards with a defender running at him along the natural path of putting it in front of Serge. IMO, nothing special

It was 5 yards with a defender running at him along the natural path of putting it in front of Serge. IMO, nothing special
What makes it intelligent is the timing. As he is about to hit the ball, there is a defender in the very spot he Intends to put it in. Aguero has overrun the play, and waiting to give it to Yaya or taking a shot would have been better options than forcing it to Aguero. Or even better, he could (And most would have held it a second longer for Aguero to change direction) but that hold would have changed the whole scene.. But he picked an even better option than all of the above:. He passed it to where the defender currently was, and the play materialized before the ball got there.

It's a phenomenal play wrapped in simplicity. It seems simple now because it worked so smoothly.

Agree with this.
As just one example of other great passes see Aguero to navas vs Everton COC. Aguero actually is a great assister as well great goalscorer. Not Knocking KDB BTW, just saying

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.