De Jong, it pains me

danburge82 said:
He was absolutely what we desperately missed against Bayern away, but definitely not what we needed last night. de Jong will be the most important player on the pitch in many games. Even in the opening game against Swansea, a team you'd think we wouldn't need de Jong for, he was the best and most important player on the pitch for an hour as Swansea were knocking the ball around for fun and he alone was breaking their play up to set us up to have our own possesion and territory.

For me the "we play better without de Jong" posts are a huge over-gerneralisation.

I agree and disagree.

Against Bayern, I still think De Jong, Like Barry and Yaya were, would have been cruelly exposed because of their mobility.

Too many are quick to say we play better without Nigel. My point being, he has more impact in the bluster of the Premier League.

In Europe, I'm now not so sure? Mancini must accept him share of the blame, though.

We have been crying out for 4-5-1 in the Napoli ties, especially.

More like we played last season, with the insurance across the middle and a bit more width and the reliance for our full-backs to brilliant all the time.

Nigel was bad, but was it not a wrong selection by mancini. Horses for courses. We all knew the way Napoli play, so he was never going to be as effective in this game. He will be needed Sunday to battle against a pool midfield more so than last night.

lastmanback said:
Nigel was bad, but was it not a wrong selection by mancini. Horses for courses. We all knew the way Napoli play, so he was never going to be as effective in this game. He will be needed Sunday to battle against a pool midfield more so than last night.

Will be definitely needed at Liverpool.

The Napoli games have almost been carbon copies of each other.

Even down to Hamsik hitting the post again!

I really do like this lad and think he has a couple more levels in him.

I thought Roberto set the team out all wrong last night

Hart

Richards Kompany Lescott Clichy

Milner Yaya Barry

Balo Aguero Silva

Better balanced - more attacking options and better defensive cover.

Plus how much football has De Jong played this season - not really been part of the success and he looked out of it last night - not really surprising.

I'm a big Roberto fan but he screwed up last night.

IMHO of course !

tolmie's hairdoo said:
To say this, I have remained steadfast in my belief that Nigel is integral to how we try to play.

His recent injuries aside, however, I saw for the first time last night that Nigel looked a little short of what was required on the night.

I love his determination and ability to keep things simple, but he did look lost and his inability to hold on to the ball for longer than a couple of seconds, gifting the ball for Napoli's second, summed up a dog shit performance in general.

He looked small and irrelevant in the wider spaces around him, meaning Yaya got far too many little touches in the wrong areas for him to affect the game in the final third.

Yaya was almost acting as safety net for Nige, which no team, certainly one with the talent we have, can afford to carry passengers on such a stage.

Nigel wins the ball, he gives it, we all know that.

But against top class opposition, when you are forced to play without the ball, I'm not so sure he gives the opponents anything to ponder.

It's been mentioned on here about the failings of the full-backs on the night, but we never had the midfield.

IMO Roberto did our midfield no favours by also picking Dzeko as an extra attacker, but thought the challenge was made for Barry last night.

He would have kept possession a lot better and longer, earning hbis fair share of free-kicks to take the pressure off?

Sorry Nige!
Yaya was almost acting as safety net for Nige

I thought YAYA was shite..all night..

it was on game agaisnt a good side, over reaction or what. what happens when silva doesnt play that good in one game ? we gonna say lose him

lastmanback said:

He should be first on the sheet for Sunday, he's been man of the match in the last two meetings against Liverpool as they suit his style of play.

i dont get this it was one bad night shite, despite Bob getting most things right all season long, last night was poor from the manager, apart from the glaring fullback error, Dzeko should never start ahead of Sergio and Barry offers far more than Nige when a result is required.

we all have off days and last night the boss had a bad one.

if all was normal with Carlos he would of played last night so why didnt Sergio.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.