Deal agreed with Bayern Munich for Leroy Sane - €60m (including add-ons)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bit I don’t understand is the rush to get him out. At some point in the next few weeks we’ll probably be wishing he was on our bench.

If he was behaving like a **** or Bayern were worried about another injury we could have used that to get a bigger fee. If that’s what has happened then their original offer must have been pitiful.

It's an interesting one, for sure.

The most likely answer is that Bayern were getting uneasy with the idea of us continuing to play him for the rest of the season, and upped their offer on the basis that we didn't do another Charity Shield, and risk him getting injured again.

The player clearly left mentally a long time ago, so he'll be quite happy training with Bayern over the next couple of months in readiness for the season ahead.

Personally, I think 60m Euro is a pretty good deal for a player who's been out for a whole season, with less than a year left on his contract when the season eventually ends, and with absolutely no intention whatsoever of so much as entertaining the idea of signing an extension.

Given that - get it done, so we can move on with our planning for next year. Which is exactly what the club has done.

Not like we let Sancho, Boateng, Tevez, and plenty of more players walk for practically nothing to rival big clubs. Even players who see as surplus we cant get a decent price for them. Other teams manage it miles better than us.

We just need someone like Steve Bruce out there to hoover up our unwanted players for crazy prices....

The bit I don’t understand is the rush to get him out. At some point in the next few weeks we’ll probably be wishing he was on our bench.

If he was behaving like a **** or Bayern were worried about another injury we could have used that to get a bigger fee. If that’s what has happened then their original offer must have been pitiful.
But if we were only going to get half arsed performances from him (not saying he'd pull a stunt like that, who knows?), what would be the point hanging on to a player who obviously wanted to be somewhere else?

The squad is definitely weaker without him in it and in full flow he was a get you out of your seat player. Will miss him and shouting "skin him" when taking on his fullback. Good luck Leroy

Nobody has said he should just be paid 300k a week. But when you pay Raz 300,000k and offer Sane 170k in the same year then you find yourself in the position we are. I think right now the price is ok but to say City are winners is simply fabrication.
But Sterling has been better than Sane has for City, in terms of hard numbers and his work ethic when the goals aren’t flowing.

But it’s not relevant really, £170k a week is what he’s worth to City and I agree he’s worth no more than that.

You can quote £300k a week all day long but the minimum amount of detective work (Googling ‘Sterling new deal’) proves this is not the case;

Sterling will only earn the maximum £300,000-a-week figure if bonus clauses - which include winning the Balon d'Or - are met

So the actual reality is that he’s on £200k+ a week, which his performances have merited.

I myself had a meltdown when we sold Tevez, we replaced him with Kun. I thought ‘how will we cope without Yaya taking things in to his own hands’ - we’ve won a bucket full of trophies. Life goes on mate, he may get another ACL at Bayern and do a Hargreaves and we’ll be laughing all the way to the bank, he may perform as he has at City - hot and cold, or he may become the best player in the world - he didn’t want to sign the contract though so I wish him well and as usual, City will survive and prosper.

23rd June- Bayern's Rummenigge: Transfer fees must fall to rational levels after pandemic
29th June- Spend 55 million on Sane

Not all clubs can do the Bayern special of openly tapping up players and getting them to run down contracts to join the German Rags for low fees

We already fucked ourselves out of an extra £50m+ last summer by deciding to play him when he already had one foot out the door. Why risk the remaining £50m we're getting now that would cover a good chunk of the Koulibaly transfer?

Even if we kept Sane and he didn't play for the remainder of the season, he could still do his knee in again whilst training and then we're again left with an injured player that hasn't wanted to be here, still paying his wages and will then be picked up for free in January.

We could have faffed around squeezing Bayern for another £5m, but is it worth the unrest, speculation and, most importantly, risk?

It's done and dusted and we have an acceptable fee given the circumstances. I personally don't think we can complain about what we've received given it was the clubs decision to play a £100m+ asset when it's clear his head was already out the door. They took a gamble and lost.

Last edited:
Can't say I agree. We've had glaring defensive issues but we're simply not as threatening on the other end. As basic a stat as it is, you can even check our goals scored in the league over the last three seasons and see how it's gradually gone down. That's without even taking into consideration that, on an individual level, Sane was more prolific in front of goal than Mahrez even last season when he was very inconsistent and Sterling peaked in the 17/18 season and was the model of consistency.

Now Sterling has gone out wide right he's barely taking on his man and has blown hot and cold in front of goal. Mostly cold since the end of last season.

It's not a slight on Mahrez, he has been really good this season. But the team hasn't hit those heights and I think it's fair to say the lack of Sane as an option has been a big part of that.

I said last summer that we were going to regret not replacing Kompany immediately and got told I'm a flapper. I feel pretty confident stating the same thing with Sane now. Centreback is the obvious priority but we need to address the frontline too.
Check the figures, Mahrez is churning out better numbers than sane. The Sane thing has been overhyped big time imo. Good player, scored some big goals for us but to say him being injured this year is a major part of us going backwards this season is wide of the mark imo. He's gone, he's angled for it for 18 mths so good riddance, close the thread

No we paid Raz what we had to because there would have been an endless number of clubs willing to pay him that and more. Likewise with Sane. There would be 15 clubs willing to pay him 300k plus and we tried to pay him 170k.

Tribalism and club defending can only get you so far. I actually think our wage bill and structure is ok and we’ve done well in the main to keep our best players but this one hasn’t been dealt with well.

All opinions he ain't good enough often enough for 350k and sane wasn't the most consistent. Anyhow it ain't my money but the disparity between raheem and sane seems large.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.