Dear Atheists..

But do you believe Jesus is the son of God? Or is your god Einstein's non dice player.

Again, not taking the piss, just genuinely curious.
Yes an Anglican - all 39 articles are a bit of trial but I'm getting there.
Not familiar with your description of deism but the god of the philosophers is not one that exists as far as I can work out.

Not familiar with your description of deism but the god of the philosophers is not one that exists as far as I can work out.
bet its a trial, you must have issue with most of them
out of interest have any been updated since 1571?
our knowledge has advanced a tad since then

As far as I understand it, theistic gods intervene in the the universe they created (so that includes all the major religions we have today) but the deistic god doesn't (he's the guy who might have set things in motion with the Big Bang, Einstein's non gambler).

Anyway we have diametrically opposed views on this topic but can at least respect each others position.

Over the next 10 months or so I'll be praying to a god I don't believe in for a goal, or an equaliser or a final whistle on far too many occasions.

his name escapes me...
he said why should there be a name for someone who doesn't believe in something?
he's a right boring **** who makes a living by banging on about there not being a god.
he never shuts up about it and i don't like him,
but he is correct.
we don't have a name for someone who doesn't believe in santa.

anyroad...

if the earth was created one year ago,
the dinosaurs died out 5 days ago,
homosapiens turned up about a minute ago
and god was created seconds ago.

edit:
it came to me...
richard dawkins.
tosser.
but he is correct nonetheless.

Last edited:
his name escapes me...
he said why should there be a name for someone who doesn't believe in something?
he's a right boring **** who makes a living by banging on about there not being a god.
he never shuts up about it and i don't like him,
but he is correct.
we don't have a name for someone who doesn't believe in santa.

anyroad...

if the earth was created one year ago,
the dinosaurs died out 5 days ago,
homosapiens turned up about a minute ago
and god was created seconds ago.

edit:
it came to me...
richard dawkins.
tosser.
but he is correct nonetheless.
People who don't believe in santa are called adults ;)

A God is different, it isn't really a fairy tale like the tooth fairy or santa, they were made up for children.
A God or the possibility of such a being goes much deeper. As Quantum theory originator Max Planck believed that “science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature [because] we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

Despite the complexity and variety of the universe, it turns out that to make one you need just three ingredients. The first is matter — stuff that has mass. Matter is all around us, in the ground beneath our feet and out in space. Dust, rock, ice, liquids. Vast clouds of gas, massive spirals of stars, each containing billions of suns, stretching away for incredible distances.

The second thing you need is energy. Even if you’ve never thought about it, we all know what energy is. Something we encounter every day. Look up at the Sun and you can feel it on your face: energy produced by a star ninety-three million miles away. Energy permeates the universe, driving the processes that keep it a dynamic, endlessly changing place.

So we have matter and we have energy. The third thing we need to build a universe is space. Lots of space. You can call the universe many things — awesome, beautiful, violent — but one thing you can’t call it is cramped. Wherever we look we see space, more space and even more space. Stretching in all directions.

The instinctual question is where all the matter, energy, and space came from — a question we hadn’t been able to answer with more than mythological cosmogonies until the early twentieth century, when Einstein demonstrated that mass is a form of energy and energy a form of mass in what is now the best known equation in the history of the world: E=mc2. This reduces the ingredients from three to two, distilling the question to where the space and energy originated.

Generations of scientists built upon each other’s work to deliver the answer in the Big Bang model, which holds that in a single moment around 13.8 billion years ago, the entire universe, with all its space and energy, ballooned into being out of the nothingness that preceded it.

But as Stephen Hawking stated before his death, science may never explain where these ingredients came from so the possibility of a force (or a God) remains a possibility, nature is ruled by laws, which are constant and cannot be broken (unlike human laws).

What’s this got to do with whether you refuse to believe there’s an invisible man in the sky who decides how your life goes?..

I don't know if a God or force ever existed, I'm simply not clever enough, none of us are, even Hawking wasn't. My question about dinosaurs was me being a bit daft and starting a kind of light hearted thread about God and why he allowed humans to carry on but not the dinosaurs. A joke thread. ;)

Albert Einstein himself stated "I'm not an atheist, and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist ... I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings".

Last edited:

A God is different, it isn't really a fairy tale like the tooth fairy or santa, they were made up for children.
A God or the possibility of such a being goes much deeper. As Quantum theory originator Max Planck believed that “science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature [because] we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

Despite the complexity and variety of the universe, it turns out that to make one you need just three ingredients. The first is matter — stuff that has mass. Matter is all around us, in the ground beneath our feet and out in space. Dust, rock, ice, liquids. Vast clouds of gas, massive spirals of stars, each containing billions of suns, stretching away for incredible distances.

The second thing you need is energy. Even if you’ve never thought about it, we all know what energy is. Something we encounter every day. Look up at the Sun and you can feel it on your face: energy produced by a star ninety-three million miles away. Energy permeates the universe, driving the processes that keep it a dynamic, endlessly changing place.

So we have matter and we have energy. The third thing we need to build a universe is space. Lots of space. You can call the universe many things — awesome, beautiful, violent — but one thing you can’t call it is cramped. Wherever we look we see space, more space and even more space. Stretching in all directions.

The instinctual question is where all the matter, energy, and space came from — a question we hadn’t been able to answer with more than mythological cosmogonies until the early twentieth century, when Einstein demonstrated that mass is a form of energy and energy a form of mass in what is now the best known equation in the history of the world: E=mc2. This reduces the ingredients from three to two, distilling the question to where the space and energy originated.

Generations of scientists built upon each other’s work to deliver the answer in the Big Bang model, which holds that in a single moment around 13.8 billion years ago, the entire universe, with all its space and energy, ballooned into being out of the nothingness that preceded it.

But as Stephen Hawking stated before his death, science may never explain where these ingredients came from so the possibility of a force (or a God) remains a possibility, nature is ruled by laws, which are constant and cannot be broken (unlike human laws).

I don't know if a God or force ever existed, I'm simply not clever enough, none of us are, even Hawking wasn't. My question about dinosaurs was me being a bit daft and starting a kind of light hearted thread about God and why he allowed humans to carry on but not the dinosaurs. A joke thread. ;)

Albert Einstein himself stated "I'm not an atheist, and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist ... I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings".
I actually really like this response.
I swore I wouldn’t, but my sister’ eldest is quite clever. She’s married to Albert’s great great great grandson. I may have one extra or one short of ‘great’ in there but you get the picture.
He’s quite an intelligent dude himself and I’ll see him next week as the whole family are coming home for a wedding.

Anyway I digress. I’m nowhere near as intelligent but look forward to my coming discussions with them both and their kids who by all accounts are carrying on the family inheritance of a high IQ.

What I get from Einstein’s last statement from your post above is that our concept of what god is, is man made and ultimately the earth will live on long after we’re gone.

The dinosaurs never worried about whether there was a god or not a we’re probably the only living things past present and who knows into the future, that ever will worry about it.
We will burn ourselves out and be gone. The earth will live on and evolve. Our history here will be relatively short.

So enjoy it while it lasts.

Max Planck was a plank. His aphorism is nonsense.

ricky sums it up quite nicely

• If we took something like any fiction, any holy book… and destroyed it, in a thousand year’s time that wouldn’t come back just as it was. Whereas if we took every science book, and every fact, and destroyed them all, in a thousand years time, they’d all be back.

God of the gaps right there. Just because we can’t explain it (yet or ever), doesn’t mean a god created it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.