Dear Atheists..

It's not disrespectful to say that an adherent would put a make believe fantasy before his or her family is it though? I don't have any devoutly religious person in my circle at all and I never would have, that's a choice I make.

Faith is different, people with their own belief system that isn't driven by a book with a blueprint they have to follow to live their lives I can get, that being said just because I get it it doesn't mean I believe any of it.
You make a good observation regarding religion & faith.
My ex wife has a very strong faith in a god. She was brought up catholic but was never comfortable with that religion & switched to become a born again christian. Her catholic family were furious about this & practically disowned her for a while, seeing it as a betrayal, which I found particularly at odds with their supposed roman catholic beliefs.
I am not remotely religious & do not believe in a god, but I think there is a clear difference between faith & religion.
I always respected the faith my ex had & supported her in her faith, which is more than could be said for the rest of her, frankly insane family.

You make a good observation regarding religion & faith.
My ex wife has a very strong faith in a god. She was brought up catholic but was never comfortable with that religion & switched to become a born again christian. Her catholic family were furious about this & practically disowned her for a while, seeing it as a betrayal, which I found particularly at odds with their supposed roman catholic beliefs.
I am not remotely religious & do not believe in a god, but I think there is a clear difference between faith & religion.
I always respected the faith my ex had & supported her in her faith, which is more than could be said for the rest of her, frankly insane family.
It is a strong trait amongst religious communities to disrespect all the others. A telling factor about religious belief—we are right, all the others are wrong.

Here's a question - on what basis are you drawing these conclusions? How do you know why "the majority" of religious people follow their religion? How did you become the authority on this to show this level of understanding of people's motives?
The overwhelming evidence of the patterns of religious belief. The fact that it is entirely socially organised to the point that everyone coincidentally believes the same thing as the other people in their community and something different from the community they have little to no social contact with. That fact that every day people convert to a new religion when they get married. The fact that throughout history, the entire population of countries have coincidentally converted shortly after the king did. The fact that no-one has ever independently come to the same conclusions as Christianity, Islam, etc, without having been told about it by someone who already believes it (which is not the case with scientific discoveries, which have regularly been discovered independently by people who have no contact). And the way people act. If I genuinely thought that the punishment for getting it wrong was an eternity in hell, I would literally dedicate my entire life to following the message and worry about it non-stop. And yet the number of people who do this is vanishingly small.

Just FYI, the sentence "but no-one has ever actually come to belief in God intellectually" might be the stupidest thing I've ever read in my entire life, and I read The Athletic.
If you say so. I've never met one. I've never seen one in a debate. I've never heard accounts of someone who 'converted to Christianity,' who when you look into it a bit more deeply, didn't coincidentally have some huge related life event around the time of their conversion. Maybe you can enlighten me though (not like that).

You are the one operatimg out of a playbook. There is nothing selective about my post, all the major existentialist thinkers were included of which only three were atheists. Heidegger described himself as a Christian Theologian but was a Nazi ffs - hardly an advert for the faithful is he?
But your post was a non sequitur. The fact that some existentialists were Christians does not demonstrate that Kierkegaard was the source of their philosophy.

Religion is just another thing to argue/debate and which will probably never be resolved.
I do know this though, one of the commandments is, "thou shalt not kill" (presumably another human) and yet both protestants and catholics were doing so during the 'troubles' in Ireland.
The American 'Christians' also are guilty of murder.
Then there are the Jews and Hamas in the middle east doing the same.
All in the name of god, allah or whatever.
So many other religious wars too.
Bloody insane is what it is.
I can't be the only one who wishes that it would end.

Religion is just another thing to argue/debate and which will probably never be resolved.
I do know this though, one of the commandments is, "thou shalt not kill" (presumably another human) and yet both protestants and catholics were doing so during the 'troubles' in Ireland.
You can't blame them. On one page, he's saying don't kill, but on another, he's ordering the massacre of entire cities.

To be totally sure that there isn’t a god is as arrogant an opinion as being totally sure that there is.

It’s a futile debate as neither opinion can be dispelled with total certainty.

I’m very much in the don’t care either way camp as it will never fill my time thinking about it.

We’ll find out one way or other after we die. Or maybe we won’t.

Finally, a post that makes perfect sense to me. Exactly why I describe myself as agnostic when anyone asks.
As for the world's religions — an enormous amount of unbelievable mischief has been done in their name. Equally, millions and millions of people have followed them (whether through coercion, or their own choice). As such, they are a source of anthropological interest to me. No more, no less. It stops there.

By the way, you wisely added those last four words, AHT.

I presume this is because you're not a historical scholar? Why would you have found this? There's very very few who doubt the historicity of Jesus. He's much more evidentially supported than Homer, Pythagorus, Sun Tzu, and many other that I presume you've never doubted
Like I said further down in the post you quoted me from, ‘And you may say, but there isn’t truly reliable evidence of many people from that time - and you’d be right - but Jesus is supposed to be the most important human that’s ever lived so I’m looking for much more weighted evidence for his existence than anyone else’s’.

And I may have because - despite being an atheist - I think mythologies and the real history around them is very interesting and I’ve done a lot of reading about it.

For example, there’s no evidence of Hebrews being slaves to Egypt. Also, when the Hebrews supposedly escaped from Egypt, crossed a body of water, wandered for 40 years in the desert and then came upon the Promised Land (some time between 1,400-1,200BCE), the entirety of their journey was actually all in Egypt because Egypt between the reigns of Thutmos III and Rameses II went right across the Levant, up past the Euphrates up towards Armenia.
The story of Moses - just like Jesus - is just an amalgamation of numerous older stories from other mythologies, including Egyptian mythology itself.

I haven’t doubted those historical figures because there isn’t a story of Homer making blind men see and lame men walk, there isn’t a story of Pythagoras walking on water and there isn’t a story of Sun Tzu coming back to life after being executed… so even if the Iliac was written a long time after Homer supposedly lived, Pythagoras thought planets sang to each other or there wasn’t actually anyone called Sun Tzu who masterminded military strategy, they don’t have an entire religion being followed in their name so haven’t made me read too much into their historicity.

At the time of Jesus’ supposed life and a fair while before, there are lots of accounts of people called Jesus or Iesous (Greek Ἰησοῦς, which is an interpretation from our understanding of the ancient Greek word which means ‘healer’), or Yeshua (Hebrew ישוע) or derivatives from around that time.

Just some of them include: Yeshua bin Nun, Jesus ben Phiabi, Yehoshua ben Sec, Jesus ben Damneus, Yeshua bin Sirach, Jesus ben Pandira, Jesus ben Ananias, Jesus ben Saphat, Jesus ben Gamala, Jesus bin Thebuth…

Some of them were High Priests of Judaism, some were writers, one was an interpreter, some were teachers and opened schools in Greece and Egypt, one is said to be the first to want to open schools to children from the age of 6, another was said to travel extensively as he was always in fear of his life, one was a ‘trouble maker’, another a ‘wonder worker’, another gave away treasures from the temple and one (Ben Pandira) is even claimed in the Talmud to be historical Jesus Christ as we know him but is said to have lived from 106-76BCE.

And there are others. There is a written account of someone called ‘Yeshu the Sorcerer’ who had five disciples and was put to death by the Hasmoneans at Passover in 63BCE.

Another story of someone called Yešu Ben Sṭada who accused of bringing magic back from Egypt in cuts in his flesh who was hanged at Passover in a town called Lod (near Tel Aviv today).

Along with all the other deities who have earlier similar or partly identical stories to the Jesus story that I mentioned earlier on, and all these Jesuses^, I think people took all of these names and stories and merged them together to create the Jesus story of the Bible. Which is why I’m not convinced by the Gospels or those who’ve claimed Jesus’ historicity. I’m happy to be proven wrong, but there’s never been anything I’ve seen that has convinced me, even if the scholars around this are convinced (although not all of them are).

Last edited:
But your post was a non sequitur. The fact that some existentialists were Christians does not demonstrate that Kierkegaard was the source of their philosophy.
Kierkegaard was a Christian theologian and 'the father of existentialism'
Søren Aabye Kierkegaard (/ˈsɒrən ˈkɪərkəɡɑːrd/ SORR-ən KEER-kə-gard, US also /-ɡɔːr/ -⁠gor; Danish: [ˈsɶːɐn ˈɔˀˌpyˀ ˈkʰiɐ̯kəˌkɒˀ] ;[8] 5 May 1813 – 11 November 1855[9]) was a Danish theologian, philosopher, poet, social critic, and religious author who is widely considered to be the first existentialist philosopher.[10][11]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.