Death of a Football Legend and my Dad.....

My family and I would like to thank you all for your comments.

I personally was only a baby when he was at Alty, but both my brother and elder sister (Half Pint on here) both remember our father playing. I just have the stories and the loving memories of a great man.
He has always been talked about as a great finisher and header of the ball (told us this is why he was bald!!!) People with whom he played with have said to me in the past"If your Dad played football today he would be worth more than Alan Shearer, be was certainly a better finisher"
To hear that of someone who had seen him play or played along side or against made us all proud.
My dad used to talk to Joe Mercer alot, and had fond memories of him and the advice he would give him.
When he played for Blackburn, they were in Division 1 at the time and he told me about playing at Liverpool and stepping up to take a penalty at The Kop end. The stand was packed and all the fans were swaying from side to side. He put the ball down and looked up at the keeper, as he did this the goal seemed to shrink and my dad ran forward to take the penalty and put it wide...... Not the successful story that he would have wanted but he had the memories of being in that position.

Whilst playing for Alty, he was met by Freddie Pye the manager and my dad used to like the clothes Fred would wear, this particular day Fred had on a lovely Camel hair coat, my dad said nice coat Fred, I'll have that when youve finished with it. Fred replied score me a hatrick and you can have it. Well the first half of the game finished and my dad was walking down the tunnel with a big smile, Fred lent over from the Directors box and threw the coat at my dad. Well he said score me a hatrick, he did, well four actually all in the first half.

If you look at Accrington Stanley (who are they) there nis a part about how they had to sell my dad and then the other centre forward to stop them going out of business, well history states. That didnt work and my dad said, he always did his bit to try and help by moving(yet again)

Whilst at Barnsley he was on the £20 wage cap, but he wasnt it turned out. The team were in the changing rooms and the wages were being handed, thrown to people, and this particular day the keeper caught my dads (only thing he ever did catch by all accounts) and on closer inspection the keeper noticed that my dad had more than the minimum. Well this caused up roar and my dad is called in and asked to take a pay cut, which he replied bring them up to my pay, we cant he was told, so he informed them to find another club so moved on again...
Whilst at Torquay he worked as a Life Guard on Torbay over the summer, he said it was the fittest he had ever been. Bounce medicine balls off my stomach was his words. But play football no, was to muscular in the wrong places. He then stopped the weight etc and go back in to the football body that he called it.(bit like Micah today)

Later on in his career Fred had my dad a lead boot made so as to help him build his thigh muscle up due to cartlige problems, well the other year he said to me just hold my thigh, and as I did he straighted his leg and the thud from his knee going up his thigh bone was awful. Today they would just open a players leg and sort it but in the good old days you were finished thats why he did what he did and lived with it the rest of his life, just to play the game he loved and entertain and try and bring enjoyment to others who paid to watch.

There are loads more of stories anbout players saying going to break his legs, keepers asking him which way taking penalties, being sent off only once in his career and then to have it over turned and the Football Pink Headlines "Gentleman Jack"

Well they must have know him as well, because he was a Gentleman and will always be remembered and sorely missed by all his family.

I am proud to say "HE WAS MY FATHER AND A TRUE LEGEND"

Its in The Blood said:

I personally was only a baby when he was at Alty, but both my brother and elder sister (Half Pint on here) both remember our father playing. I just have the stories and the loving memories of a great man.
He has always been talked about as a great finisher and header of the ball (told us this is why he was bald!!!) People with whom he played with have said to me in the past"If your Dad played football today he would be worth more than Alan Shearer, be was certainly a better finisher"
To hear that of someone who had seen him play or played along side or against made us all proud.
My dad used to talk to Joe Mercer alot, and had fond memories of him and the advice he would give him.
When he played for Blackburn, they were in Division 1 at the time and he told me about playing at Liverpool and stepping up to take a penalty at The Kop end. The stand was packed and all the fans were swaying from side to side. He put the ball down and looked up at the keeper, as he did this the goal seemed to shrink and my dad ran forward to take the penalty and put it wide...... Not the successful story that he would have wanted but he had the memories of being in that position.

Whilst playing for Alty, he was met by Freddie Pye the manager and my dad used to like the clothes Fred would wear, this particular day Fred had on a lovely Camel hair coat, my dad said nice coat Fred, I'll have that when youve finished with it. Fred replied score me a hatrick and you can have it. Well the first half of the game finished and my dad was walking down the tunnel with a big smile, Fred lent over from the Directors box and threw the coat at my dad. Well he said score me a hatrick, he did, well four actually all in the first half.

If you look at Accrington Stanley (who are they) there nis a part about how they had to sell my dad and then the other centre forward to stop them going out of business, well history states. That didnt work and my dad said, he always did his bit to try and help by moving(yet again)

Whilst at Barnsley he was on the £20 wage cap, but he wasnt it turned out. The team were in the changing rooms and the wages were being handed, thrown to people, and this particular day the keeper caught my dads (only thing he ever did catch by all accounts) and on closer inspection the keeper noticed that my dad had more than the minimum. Well this caused up roar and my dad is called in and asked to take a pay cut, which he replied bring them up to my pay, we cant he was told, so he informed them to find another club so moved on again...
Whilst at Torquay he worked as a Life Guard on Torbay over the summer, he said it was the fittest he had ever been. Bounce medicine balls off my stomach was his words. But play football no, was to muscular in the wrong places. He then stopped the weight etc and go back in to the football body that he called it.(bit like Micah today)

Later on in his career Fred had my dad a lead boot made so as to help him build his thigh muscle up due to cartlige problems, well the other year he said to me just hold my thigh, and as I did he straighted his leg and the thud from his knee going up his thigh bone was awful. Today they would just open a players leg and sort it but in the good old days you were finished thats why he did what he did and lived with it the rest of his life, just to play the game he loved and entertain and try and bring enjoyment to others who paid to watch.

There are loads more of stories anbout players saying going to break his legs, keepers asking him which way taking penalties, being sent off only once in his career and then to have it over turned and the Football Pink Headlines "Gentleman Jack"

Well they must have know him as well, because he was a Gentleman and will always be remembered and sorely missed by all his family.

Just seen this fella....sorry to hear of your loss.
What great memories to have of the most important man in your life. R.I.P. Jackie Swindells. (great name by the way, brings back images of a player in baggy shorts heading a lace-up ball!)

I have been asked for details of his death.

Well he lived in Bodmin Cornwall,he died at home at 3.30am,it was sudden which we are all glad about. He had lived down there for 18mths in a retirement bungalow.

I enjoyed reading about your Dad, a lot of things in the articles that I didn't know about him.

It must have been great listening to his stories about football as it used to be played, when you were all growing up (a lead boot!! I can't imagine what that was like) and I'm sure you won't forget any of the things he told you.

I bet he was equally as proud!! of you, as you are of him!!

Its in The Blood said:

Truly excellent tribute to your father "The Legend" blue.......my deepest sympathies for your loss and may he rest in eternal peace!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.