Death Valley California.

Went on a flydrive to California with 3 mates in about 1985/6.
I was 19/20, so had dodgy id, so I could get a pint.
Anyway, we were driving from San Francisco to Las Vegas through that area in this big air conditioned Ford sedan, windows up, music playing, all cool and comfortable.
We stop for petrol and a toilet break at this one horse town.
We opened the doors and feck me, nearly fainted. The heat blast was shocking.
Laughing, we went into the shop and bought drinks and ice creams.
I kid you not, the ice creams had melted on our hands before we got back to the car!

Have visited it twice. Stayed overnight at Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells. The incredible heat is my abiding memory. And driving outside the town after dark seeing the most amazing display of stars I've ever seen.

We loved all the South West's desert areas, just so alien to what we are used to.

Last edited:
Probable stupid question - when driving through it, how would you know where you were going? There are no roads and everywhere looks the same.

There is a road through the valley, and that's what most people do. Obviously you could go properly off piste, but it's straightforward enough for most who go there - because there's no alternative but to follow the road. Take water in case you break down!

I been out there a few times now in summer and winter(a few miles NE of LA). Winter is interesting where it can be well into double figures during the day and -5 at night. Because the air is so dry, you don't get any frost, so any ice that forms due to water on the road is black ice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.