Decisions leading to a Penalty

Thought this was interesting from Mark Halsey.
"It’s very important we pick out the right decisions, I don’t think there’s been any new directive to any referee at any level so what are the PGMOL management telling them? Are referees going out and doing things their own way? How many games at the Euro’s were we discussing referees? They were excellent yet two weeks into the new Premier League season and all we’re talking about is referees.

Take the Raheem Sterling incident, there’s nothing in the laws to say you have to be looking at the ball. Sterling is doing his job, it’s a contact sport and there’s minimal contact, he doesn’t impede Shawcross one bit and Shawcross even admitted himself he didn’t think it was a foul. It will be very difficult for the referee that goes and takes charge of Stoke this weekend, they’ve got meetings at St. George’s Park this week and I’ll bet they’ll be telling Mike Dean that wasn’t a penalty against Raheem Sterling."

What surprises me is that, yet again, the pundits seem to have no idea what's going on............

https://offsiderulepodcast.com/2016...atford-and-chelsea-stoke-and-manchester-city/

"It’s very important we pick out the right decisions, I don’t think there’s been any new directive to any referee at any level so what are the PGMOL management telling them? Are referees going out and doing things their own way? How many games at the Euro’s were we discussing referees? They were excellent yet two weeks into the new Premier League season and all we’re talking about is referees.

Take the Raheem Sterling incident, there’s nothing in the laws to say you have to be looking at the ball. Sterling is doing his job, it’s a contact sport and there’s minimal contact, he doesn’t impede Shawcross one bit and Shawcross even admitted himself he didn’t think it was a foul. It will be very difficult for the referee that goes and takes charge of Stoke this weekend, they’ve got meetings at St. George’s Park this week and I’ll bet they’ll be telling Mike Dean that wasn’t a penalty against Raheem Sterling."

What surprises me is that, yet again, the pundits seem to have no idea what's going on............

https://offsiderulepodcast.com/2016...atford-and-chelsea-stoke-and-manchester-city/

Bang on the money this. Had the Sterling 'incident' happened before the Shawcross penalty then he wouldn't have given it, he was definitely trying to be consistent but fucked it up. It pisses me off when pundits start going on about wanting consistency. No, we just want them to be right whatever that should entail. Shaw cross himself admitted it was a penalty and he was pulling back Otamendi's arm and gripping his shirt, it was a million miles away from what Sterling did.

If history is any guide then this wil be another 3 week wonder.
At the beginning of each season the refs advise that they are going to clamp down on something.
I have lost count of the things they are going to sort out, but seem to remember them saying the same about diving, dangerous tackles, dissent, tackles from behind and kicking the ball away.
Each of them is applied to varying degrees by different refs and then gets quietly forgotten, but is randomly remembered every now and then and quoted by a referee penalising any team but united, and usually us. Vinnie got sent off vs the Rags when that was the thing, but this week Bardsley doesn't even get booked for a two footed lunge at Silva. When diving was the big target, Sergio got booked against Southampton for being clearly fouled in the box, but Suarez and the synchronised diving team of Young, Rooney and Januzaj at Utd never seemed to

I am against anything that adds to the referees discretion as it gives them more scope to stitch us up or use it against us and to influence results. They have enough already - Clattenburg penalty against Sterling vs Spurs hitting his back outside the penalty area anyone? If I thought for a moment that it would apply as much to Mike Smalling at OT as it does to Raheem Sterling at Stoke then I would be all for it, but you can be sure it wont. The biggest beneficiary will be big-nose at the Swamp - call me cynical but only at the end of the season when you see how fairly it is applied.

Sterling's "first contact" was a slight, limp-wristed push, which is exactly what Shawcross gave him at the exact same time.

It was, I agree. I think he went back and put his hands on Shawcross when he jumped though, and that was what it was given for (or the whistle would have gone earlier).
Was it enough to stop Shawcross? not a chance.
Was it enough to slightly impede Shawcross? Probably but VERY slightly at most, and the degree of impedance is the ref's discretion, and there lies the problem. I think it was the softest penalty I've seen for that type of thing for a long time.

Otamendi was being held - that's always been in the laws as a direct free kick offence.

If history is any guide then this wil be another 3 week wonder.
At the beginning of each season the refs advise that they are going to clamp down on something.
I have lost count of the things they are going to sort out, but seem to remember them saying the same about diving, dangerous tackles, dissent, tackles from behind and kicking the ball away.
Each of them is applied to varying degrees by different refs and then gets quietly forgotten, but is randomly remembered every now and then and quoted by a referee penalising any team but united, and usually us. Vinnie got sent off vs the Rags when that was the thing, but this week Bardsley doesn't even get booked for a two footed lunge at Silva. When diving was the big target, Sergio got booked against Southampton for being clearly fouled in the box, but Suarez and the synchronised diving team of Young, Rooney and Januzaj at Utd never seemed to

I am against anything that adds to the referees discretion as it gives them more scope to stitch us up or use it against us and to influence results. They have enough already - Clattenburg penalty against Sterling vs Spurs hitting his back outside the penalty area anyone? If I thought for a moment that it would apply as much to Mike Smalling at OT as it does to Raheem Sterling at Stoke then I would be all for it, but you can be sure it wont. The biggest beneficiary will be big-nose at the Swamp - call me cynical but only at the end of the season when you see how fairly it is applied.
The 6 second rule was another that lasted a few weeks and was then ignored. I don't even know if it still a rule

Cheers - I might have been dreaming it tbf.
He just text me back, the info is from Mark Halsey who is the go to ref at Bein sport mate and it definitely wasn't a penalty apparently so that **** at Sky was talking out of his arse about a new directive with regards to looking at the ball.

@malg @franksinatra

Hadn't seen that. Cheers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.