Denayer and Mangala

Otamendi's a better footballer than many give him credit for.

I personally believe he's a better player than Stones at the moment. Unfortunately, we remain overly reliant on Kompany, who is still, by some distance, our best defender.

I believe a centre back pairing of Stones and Otamendi is likely to be exploited by the better sides in the league. It's imperative we sign another centre back as it's too risky for us to rely on Kompany's fitness. If we fail to sign another centre back and Kompany does miss lots of matches through injury, I surmise we would drop too many points again to mount a serious title challenge.

I think many average centre backs would look good besides a fit and firing Kompany. The acid test was when Vinnie was injured and Otamendi showed no ability to lead or organize the defence (as for instance MDM did in our last title season) and was badly exposed on a number of occasions. Going to ground way too easily, embarrassingly out-muscled by Costa and desperately slow on several key occasions. Not saying he is a bad player - he is Premier League standard for sure, but first choice in a title-contending team? No siree.

I think many average centre backs would look good besides a fit and firing Kompany. The acid test was when Vinnie was injured and Otamendi showed no ability to lead or organize the defence (as for instance MDM did in our last title season) and was badly exposed on a number of occasions. Going to ground way too easily, embarrassingly out-muscled by Costa and desperately slow on several key occasions. Not saying he is a bad player - he is Premier League standard for sure, but first choice in a title-contending team? No siree.

I think he is title winning standard. Comfortably.

... I'm just not sure if he works in a Pep team. Consistently, anyway.

Otamendi is awesome, I don't know why so many hate him.

It's not that- I think he's a great player. But, if Vinny isn't playing, Otamendi and Stones don't seem to work. So I'd prefer to see a partner brought in who works with Stones, like Van Dijk

If Otamendi played for Chelsea he'd be lauded by everyone and regarded as the best CB in the PL. It's tough playing in our high line. Luiz and Cahill would be so shit for us

I think he is title winning standard. Comfortably.

... I'm just not sure if he works in a Pep team. Consistently, anyway.

If he was able to handle strong or skillful forwards 1-on-1, or somewhat keep pace with a breakaway attacker put through with an over-the-top pass, then he would fit in just fine. In a Pep team or in any other leading PL team.

Ah yes, this argument again :-)

Prior to Kompany's return

37.5% win rate without Otamendi
70.8% win rate with him

Opposition he didn't play against:
Swansea
Sunderland
Sunderland
Leicester
Boro
Southampton
Celtic
Monaco waway

Opponents he played against include everyone in the top 9 in the league, Monaco home, Barca, the German club and we won won a70%.of those games. Double the percentage of our wins against againstthe mediocre bunch above.

But you know, he is shit and all. Simply not good enough. Lets bring Mangala back instead.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.