Denis Law and the Backheel - the Facts & Evidence

A very enjoyable read so many thanks for posting. I was unaware the match was abandoned - I thought once they had cleared the pitch it was played to a conclusion to full time. Little surprised at Law's wholly negative reaction to doing what he was being paid to do - scoring goals. United didn't want him at the end of the 72-73 season and City signed him on a free transfer. His form that season with City got him back into the Scotland squad and he went to the 1974 World Cup on the strength of it which he otherwise would not have done. It's interesting to note that City still had one game to play after beating United but I've always believed that the back heel was the last time Law kicked a ball in league football so presumably he didn't play in the final game of the season ?
The Utd game was City’s last of the season. The League table shown is that weekend’s table and the decision still hadn’t been made whether the result would stand.

In the article I explain about the emotion of the day and how fans felt at the time by comparing it to 2012. Mathematically the goal didn’t relegate Utd but emotionally it absolutely did.
Right. And likewise with the last day of 2012, a Sunderland result against Utd could have given City the title but who would want to win it that way instead of by the Aguero magic moment?

utd lost the game so they would have been relegated regardless of what happened elsewhere.

Correct - the very second that goal was scored they knew they were doomed whatever happened elsewhere. Dennis Law knew it too ;-)
Then they behaved like they always do when things go against them - mard arses trying to get the game abandoned. They’ve never changed, the mard arse twats!

There’s more to it than that and I try to remind people of the emotion of these final days by comparing to 2012 a little. Technically Law didn’t relegate Utd but emotionally that’s a different story.
As promised, I've just read the article. Excellent work Gary.

Probably already been mentioned as it's one of THE iconic Citeh moments, but I haven't read the whole thread.Anyone remember Mike Doyle calmly walking off as the invasion was happening. Not one of the scruffy inbreds would go anywhere near him. Legendary stuff.

*edit* Just spotted @LongsightM13 commenting on Doyle's walk. Loved the Bay City Rollers reference. Shang-a-lang, indeed!

10:05 into the video. Mike's walking off and one of the big men seems to be giving him a bit of the verbals. He just turns around, looks at them and stands there. They won't go near him!

Thanks. It was Arundale School in Hattersley and those who went will know how much of a red Mr Hughes was. Above the stage was a school badge of sorts with George Best in the centre of it and our school team played in Utd kit. Understandably I never played for the school team (I was crap too, but I like to think it’s because of the kit!).
Hi Gary I was at Arundale 71-74 and remember Mr Hughes very well, I played in his teams and can’t remember losing a game? a couple of draws against Pinfold who I believe played in Newcastle United colours … Yes we played in rag colours, unfortunately :-(

I remember the wasp as well :-)
Miss Arrowsmith & Mr Collie I remember as teachers there .. Happy times ..

I’m sure Mr Hughes had a large portrait of George Best in his office ..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.