Denis Law - question for older fans.

Bluesince1979

He had one cracking season (from what I hear/read) for us before being sold off to Italy before coming back to Manchester , but unfortunately the red part.
He then went on to absolutely make his name with them, forever be linked with them and they are seemingly his team.
He then came back to us and although he scored 'that' goal he will always be Denis Law of Manchester United.

So..... Why is he held with such high regard by City and City fans alike. I remember in the old main road players lounge there were pictures of him on the wall etc. just wonded for a man so strongly linked with THEM why he is still a City legend too.

My dad speaks fondly of a young Law signing for City from Huddersfield (I think). He was quite prolific for us, famously scoring 6 goals against Luton Town in a Cup match. The game was abandoned due to fog and had to be replayed. Of course, City being City, we lost the replay.

My dad also claims that the rags had been sniffing after him and as we did not want to be seen to be selling one of our best players to them, they sold him to Torino instead, where he stayed for a season and then came back to that lot.

Docherty was their manager in '74 and he had bombed Law out of the team so City stepped in and we gave him his last hurrah. I guess it was this second spell and "that goal" at the swamp in '74 that keeps him held in high regard.

Personally, never saw him play and have only seen him in interviews during which (and I don't claim to have seen every interview) he seems not to have a good word for City, despite playing for us twice.

marcus said:
He had one cracking season (from what I hear/read) for us before being sold off to Italy before coming back to Manchester , but unfortunately the red part.
He then went on to absolutely make his name with them, forever be linked with them and they are seemingly his team.
He then came back to us and although he scored 'that' goal he will always be Denis Law of Manchester United.

So..... Why is he held with such high regard by City and City fans alike. I remember in the old main road players lounge there were pictures of him on the wall etc. just wonded for a man so strongly linked with THEM why he is still a City legend too.

I can't think it could be anything more than this. I remember thinking that when he came to City it was very much the same feeling I had when Robinho came. We had arrived at last! And then he fucked off to Italy and it was never the same again. Even when he came back I couldn't eradicate the Rag years and 'that goal' didn't bring an amount of comfort equal to the fury he engendered by buggering off and leaving us. I expect that most City fans at the time felt the same way as Rags do with Tevez.

strongbowholic said:
My dad speaks fondly of a young Law signing for City from Huddersfield (I think). He was quite prolific for us, famously scoring 6 goals against Luton Town in a Cup match. The game was abandoned due to fog and had to be replayed. Of course, City being City, we lost the replay.

My dad also claims that the rags had been sniffing after him and as we did not want to be seen to be selling one of our best players to them, they sold him to Torino instead, where he stayed for a season and then came back to that lot.

Docherty was their manager in '74 and he had bombed Law out of the team so City stepped in and we gave him his last hurrah. I guess it was this second spell and "that goal" at the swamp in '74 that keeps him held in high regard.

Personally, never saw him play and have only seen him in interviews during which (and I don't claim to have seen every interview) he seems not to have a good word for City, despite playing for us twice.

Similar here really, my Dad still say's he was far too good for us when he was there first time.

Bluebee2 said:
strongbowholic said:

Similar here really, my Dad still say's he was far too good for us when he was there first time.
Kinnell! Is your dad my dad as that is the exact phrase my old man uses!?

Didn't think he was held so highly within us.

I was at THE GAME but I was walking over the bridge near the swamp a few years back in the late 80's I think and he was stuck in traffic in his car getting abuse ( when I say abuse I mean general footie abuse w*nk** etc not M*nich stuff) by a load of blues.

blue b4 the moon said:

I was at THE GAME but I was walking over the bridge near the swamp a few years back in the late 80's I think and he was stuck in traffic in his car getting abuse ( when I say abuse I mean general footie abuse w*nk** etc not M*nich stuff) by a load of blues.
Hmm, I wonder though why he doesn't have a good word to say about us? It's a conundrum isn't it?

He's a right bitter old pisscan he is.

Remember when they used to drag him out as a pundit for a few years after he retired and he was useless. Then about thirty-odd years ago they had him on during a world cup and Scotland as usual were shite and he was obviously absolutely pissed as a fart and ranted on like a little baby and was a total embarrassment. He never really got got any tv gigs after that and rightly so.

In answer to the original question. I have never been aware of City fans lauding him for anything other apart from my user name on here and that goal that even now the bitter devilworshippers still hate being reminded of.

ColinLee said:
blue b4 the moon said:

Hmm, I wonder though why he doesn't have a good word to say about us? It's a conundrum isn't it?

Yeah maybe so.

I wasn't doing the shouting etc but about 20/30 were.

I always think of him as red rather than blue can't put my finger on why though as when Kiddo joined us I didn't have an issue with his original red background.

I didn't see him play before he went to Italy. When he came back he always seemed to be injured. He could have the occasional very good game, like his second debut for us, but was rather like Fowler, an obviously talented footballer whose body let him down..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.