Denis Law - question for older fans.

A genuinely nice bloke who has a real soft spot for City.

Was a weekly visitor to Maine Road throughout the late 80s and early 90s.

Says more about the man that it was never a match day, but to have a cuppa with the likes of Ken Barnes and Tony Book.

He attended both Ken's and Malcolm Allison's funerals, and always caught trying to be the diplomat when asked a loaded question about United and City.

Far too young to have seen him play, but there are plenty who have told me Best and Charlton were not his equal.

His daughter, Diana, eventually became head of press at United, a nice girl, before she quit in last couple years.

My old man says he is the best player he ever saw playing for City and was a regular in the 50s and 60s.

My mum once asked him for his autograph, knowing how highly my dad regarded him, he was with Crerand and Stepney at the time, Crerand asked if she wanted his autograph, she politely refused, and they were trying to tease and take the piss, thinking she didnt know who Stepney and **** Crerand were. Anyway, After their 'banter' finished Law told her that they were footballers too, to which my mum replied, not really they play for United and walked off. She said Law was in pieces laughing at them, Crerand (the ****) didnt like it and was shouting what do you know after her.

I watch Dennis make his second debut he played against burnley in the charity shield at Maine road we lost 1 nil , but the following week we played Birmingham he scored 2 which we won 3/1 i always had a decent feeling towards Dennis I met him at port vale in the cup in the club house after the game he was quite a nice guy to talk to, but going back to the Birmingham game that was one scary troublesome game thanks to some really bad shit coming up from Birmingham.

Another older fan here. Denis Law was a great player, make no mistake. He stuck out like a sore thumb in what was a very average City team when he signed from Huddersfield. I was a young lad and couldn't go to his debut at Elland Road but I saw his home debut the next match against West Ham. He scored in both and in the latter I remember him and John Bond having a bout of fisticuffs. I was stood behind the goal in the old Platt Lane End and had a great view of them both going at it. Nowadays it would have been two straight red cards but I don't think the referee batted an eyelid. They just got on with the game.

I was gutted when we sold him to Torino, and even more so when he came back to England and joined the Rags. Although his glory days were well behind him when he rejoined us in the 70's he still showed flashes of brilliance. In an age where dribbling was the mark of a good player, Law could hardly beat a man to save his life, but what he did have was a phenomenal sense of timing in front of goal, electric speed, and perhaps above all unbelievable heading ability. Ask most fans of my generation about a striker's ability to 'hang in the air' before heading towards goal and invariably the name Denis Law will crop up. Negredo reminds me a little of Law in that respect and if he turns out to be half as good then we have a gem on our hands.

I met Denis when on holiday in Greece back in the early 1980's when holidaying with some mates. We were a mixture of Blues & Rags and he was very respectful towards all of us. A really nice guy and despite his short time playing for us he deserves to be ranked amongst City's all time greats. 'That goal' was just the icing on the cake.

I would recommend his autobiography, if its not out of print. Its a very entertaining read about a bygone age of football.

Neville Kneville said:
Bizarre. In all the years I've been watching City, I've rarely heard a bad word said against Denis Law either by fans or staff etc of City.

Now a whole bunch of people are giving him abuse on here.

I'va also never heard him say a bad word against City in any interview I've seen. He's always been very complimentary & wished us the best whenever I've seen him interviewed.

Great bloke, great player from my experience & from many stories related by City fans & personnel.

Thank god! This is my recollection too. I was beginning to think I was deluded!

Bert Trautmann's Parachute said:
I saw him in his last season for us. He was the best header of a ball I've ever seen and a fantastic player. I still hold him in the highest esteem.

Him and Wyn Davies.

Bert Trautmann's Parachute said:
I saw him in his last season for us. He was the best header of a ball I've ever seen and a fantastic player. I still hold him in the highest esteem.
he also used to set off on high speed long curving runs in front of the opposing defence to finally arrive at his leaping point in the penalty area- really exciting it made the crowd gasp as he neared take off

dawlish dave said:
Older fan here. Went to see his first game when he signed from Huddersfield Town (Shankly was there manger) Leeds away, a very young looking Billy Bremmer stood out in that game.City did well to sign Law as loads of clubs were hovering around but City payed 55k a massive amount to shell out for a div 2 player.
Travelled down to Luton by Melba coaches from Reddish pissed down all day City 2 down after 10 min then Law scored 6 goals in about 50 min before the ref to his shame abandoned the game saying the pitch was unplayable the only thing unplayable that day was wearing a No 10 City shirt.
Law was a great player Mario at times took me back to the feeling of excitement I had watching Law play in that first spell with City.
Sorry to say but I was not at "York away" so will be looked on as a part timer by the Ultras on Bluemoon.

Glory hunter.

;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.