Denis Law - question for older fans.

Shaelumstash said:
Bluep*ss said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
We paid a British record transfer fee (of around £53 000, I think) for Dennis Law on transfer deadline day, from Bill Shankly's Huddersfield, when we bought him, so he was hardly unknown! Most of the (other!) "big clubs" were interested but we were the ones who took the plunge. He scored twice on his debut, against Leeds at Elland Road, but couldn't prevent a 4 - 3 defeat. The belief was that he wasn't too keen on the move to City, but he certainly performed brilliantly for City in the one complete season he spent with us. I don't think it's overstating things to say the he kept us in the first division; if I remember correctly he got over twenty goals for us that season, though I don't remember if the 6 he got in an abandoned cup tie at Luton count in that total or not. He was clearly too good to stay at a club like City who had never really replaced the team which had won the cup with players of equal quality. I remember his performance in the last match of the season, in which Burnley beat us 2-1 in front of a crowd of 72 000 at Maine Road to clinch the title (I ended up watching from the running track as the Burnley fans moved forward in the final minutes!); he was magnificent even compared to Jimmy McIlroy of Burnley. Then Torino came in for him, he wanted to go and we doubled our money, but at the end of the next season we were heading for Division 2. But Dennis Law left us with some wonderful memories of what a genuine, top class player really was like. But that was nothing to the memory he left us with at the end of his other season with us!

Law was a great player for City - he was head and shoulders above his then team mates. Does not deserve abuse from any "older" City fans. Always have fond memories of him. He was Scottish so you can understand his pleasure when Scotland went to Wembley in 1967 and beat "the World Champions" 2-1. Law and Baxter scored if memory serves me right. Also remember him in our forward line - Buzzer , Bell ,Lee , Law , and Marsh. - 1974 League Cup against Wolves. City struggled that day but when Bell got an equaliser in the second half - City fans thought right we are on our way to win but unfortunately lost 2-1.
Bit before my time but man for man that sounds like possibly the best forward line City have ever put out!

We should have murdered Wolves that day with the forward line but Gary Pearce their goalkeeper had a blinder. Second half especially. Gutted at the time..................

My abiding memory of him is being at the Swamp to see him back-heel it.

I'm sure he favours the Rags but never seen or heard him be anything but diplomatic about City.

He's one of the best strikers ever to turn out for City and deserves to be respected as such.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.