Dennis Tueart video interview

I saw Denis score a gorgeous lob in a friendly against Barrow back in my childhood. Barrow were actually winning 2-1 and it was looking a bit embarrassing for us few City fans but then Denis chipped the Barrow keeper from well outside the box. A player of great skill and vision.

Great video Gary as always.

Here's his 1977/78 First Division match worn away shirt featuring embroidered 76/77 League Runners Up COA badge.

DT would bag a hat-trick wearing this shirt during City’s 4-1 win over Aston Villa at Villa Park on 24th August 1977.

View attachment 94617

View attachment 94618
Love it. He scored a hat-trick that day including his trademark overhead kick, if I rightly recall.

It was Dennis I think who first gave me the “tingle”. All fans will know what I mean - the shiver of excitement, anticipation that something marvellous would happen when he got the ball. But at the same time a shiver of nervousness that it wouldn’t! I think only football can do that because the tingle only lasts till he loses the ball and may only happen a few times in a game. The second game I went to in Jan 75 ( think it was Noel Gallagher’s first) was the 5-1 home win v Newcastle. I was only young and was taken by my “Uncle Joe” who was a big Irish bloke who had 3 cans whilst his wife made me a doorstop cheese butty before the game. We sat in the Main Stand and for every goal he was stood up on his seat, half falling over cheering and swearing in equal amounts. And I still remember the goals now - Geoff Hammond got the first at the Platt Lane end with a long shot that seemed like the half way line to me, then supermac equalised for them and then Dennis took over. His first was a penalty but then second half he must have dribbled past 2 or 3 to score at the North Stand end, then shot in off the post and then King Colin hit the 5th after some lively one touch play.
What a player Tueart was. I was heartbroken when he left and still don’t fully understand whether it was spur of the moment or premeditated.
What I do know is we lost basically 2 full seasons of him before he came back. He didn’t quite have the pace by then but still a good goal scoring knack. Then in 81-82 he was on s great scoring run and then was out half the season again.
It’s an interesting question for me as to whether Alison would have come back, ripped the team apart etc had Tueart had still been at the club? I think his ability and goals would have stopped that dreadful run that meant Allison came back.
I suspect the Channon signing was Swales’s and of course when you gave big signings like that, he’s always going to play.
I was at that match Noel referred to. The week before we had played Newcastle at home in the cup, even though we had been drawn away, they had been banned from playing ties at home due to crowd trouble against Forest the previous season and invading the pitch on numerous occasions. Typically City were beaten 2.0 and the week later we beat them 5-1 witn Geoff Hammond scoring an unbelievable goal. Happy memories.

Absolutely will never forget this bloke at City.He just beat backs for fun.
I was there in 76 and do I recall he put 4 pens in a game at home.A couple of retakes and all in the same corner or is my memory fading.Think it was Norwich.
Yes after looking at my Gary James book I believe it was Mar 1st 77.
Until KDB and a David my no1 of all time.

I saw Denis score a gorgeous lob in a friendly against Barrow back in my childhood. Barrow were actually winning 2-1 and it was looking a bit embarrassing for us few City fans but then Denis chipped the Barrow keeper from well outside the box. A player of great skill and vision.
I was at that game. Being from Barrow, it was the first City game I went to.
Still got the programme.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.