Did I see Trautmann wipe away a tear?

Prestwich_Blue said:
He must have been the goalie when we let in 100 goals in 1957-8. Obviously crap.

Apparently if Bert hadn't been in nets it would have been more like 200 goals against. A well-deserved reception for him today.

Nice to see a player so emotional over our club and fans, it's what you want to see from every player who puts on the shirt.

Good to see Joe Hart in the guard of honour too.

I took my Dad and Lad today, first time that the three generations have been (my Dad can't get to many games nowadays, and my son has been enthralled with my Dad's story's of watching Trautmann)...

Touching moment and a great personal memory for me seeing all three of us trying to callouses on our hands for a rapturous applause, for a true City legend

I saw Bert play loads of times and believe me he was the best goal keeper I have seen and will ever see, better than Shilton, Banks, Smiechael, Bufffon, Castillo (Real Madrid) and anyone you care to name.
He could catch a ball with one hand, none of this poncy punching it out.
He is also a very humble man. Love the guy, as do all Blues who saw him play.

-- Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:51 pm --

I saw Bert play loads of times and believe me he was the best goal keeper I have seen and will ever see, better than Shilton, Banks, Smiechael, Bufffon, Castillo (Real Madrid) and anyone you care to name.

He is also a very humble man. Love the guy, as do all Blues who saw him play.<br /><br />-- Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:51 pm --<br /><br />I saw Bert play loads of times and believe me he was the best goal keeper I have seen and will ever see, better than Shilton, Banks, Smiechael, Bufffon, Castillo (Real Madrid) and anyone you care to name.

tueartsboots said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-isJTLLWR08&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDYrvvXyBP8&feature=related[/youtube]

That is brilliant TB.

Thank you for posting them.

Bluefen said:
I took my Dad and Lad today, first time that the three generations have been (my Dad can't get to many games nowadays, and my son has been enthralled with my Dad's story's of watching Trautmann)...

Touching moment and a great personal memory for me seeing all three of us trying to callouses on our hands for a rapturous applause, for a true City legend
That's fantastic for you all. Brilliant stuff with Bert Trautmann before the game today and the mutual love and respect between this hero and the club and crowd was there for all to see.

Bentheblue said:

pardon. ... you need to make yourself clearer mate.

went to an FA award dinner a few years ago and was lucky enough to be sat adjacent Bert and his wife on the next table. What an absolute gentleman. Signed my programme and table card as did his wife. Allowed us to take photo's etc. His wife is a lovely lady. Very glamourous and charming.I obviously mentioned i was a blue and his reply was something along the lines of "hang on in there son''. He still moved his head gingerly which reinforced his hero status to me.
I can honestly say that that is the one and only time i have ever been awestruck by anyone and it is a moment i will treasure.
Surely a statue would suffice at COMS for this true legend and before he is no loger with us.

Don't think anyone's mentioned it but I'd just like to praise the Brummies for applauding him as well. I know there was a few knobheads and I heard some lad had a rock thrown at him and ended up covered in blood but most of the Brummies were very respectful towards Bert Trautmann, so fair play to the majority of 'em.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.