Did we really get it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
citytill1die84 said:
Just watched again and Jeff Stelling didn't have a clue about the rule either because when the program starts he says "City simply need to win by 3 clear goals" tut tut

Which was true unless we scored 4 or more.

BurningHart said:
BillyShears said:
Question for people. Did it look like Bayern/Pep knew if we scored another goal we would be top?

They fcuking did. They were shitting themselves after our 3rd goal. Pep took Manzukic off and sent on shaqiri while Cocky Muller was timewasting near the corner flag arnd 80mins

According to some Bayern couldn't give a hoot about the match, yeah right as you say they wanted to win badly.

BillyShears said:
Lucky Toma said:
Bang on the money mate.

The way most posters are sticking their fingers in their ears over this and going 'Lalalala we beat Bayern so nothing else matters' genuinely dumbfounds me, especially as some are posters I've got a lot of time for.

Just to make it even more strange - Several of the posters who are trumpeting the result entirely over the gaffe, and claiming it a famous victory that is crucial to our confidence etc are the very same who wanted us to send out a team of stiffs last night in a 'dead rubber'.

Easy tiger. I'm having to listen to your whining across various social media platforms this morning and it's not pleasant ... ;)

Seriously though ... lets say you're right. That by some gross oversight on someone's part nobody on the bench last night knew that another goal would've seen us qualify. So what? It's happened now. I'm sure that whatever frustration/embarrassment/stress your feeling, if you multiply by 100 that's what MP, Txiki, Ferran, and Khaldoon will be feeling (that's if it was genuinely a fuck up).

However I'm going to stand by the idea that Aguero was never coming on last night with Arsenal so close by. I'm also going to go with the idea that simply changing one player for another was no guarantee that we'd score. And finally, and most importantly IMO, had we opened ourselves up just a little bit more at the back, Bayern would've scored again.

On balance taking the 3 - 2 victory was just as important as risking it to make it a 4 - 2 victory and top the group.

Another thing. I watched the game last night on French TV, and they were also under the impression that we needed to win by three clear goals to win the group.

Huh? Of course he's right. Pellegrini and the players have confirmed they thought we needed 5-2.

Just admit it was a very basic mistake that a club of City's aspirations should not be making. And Pellegrini has to take responsibility and make sure it never happens again.

We should just ban all our managers from talking to the press after playing in Munich - nothing good ever results. As for the press and media getting in a fizz about what pelle did or didn't know with all the rubbish they talk about city, ffp, the etihad campus, David silva/villa, never heard of yaya toure etc they can leave all their moralising in the cesspit of their souls. I've seen pundits on tv say they didn't understand the offside rule.

If we've made a mistake then I expect it to be looked at but I'm not interested in hanging people out to dry. Topping the group was not a priority - keeping key players fit and rested for Saturday was. Job done and I really fail to see what the scandal is about

It was a fantastic performance last night and a great result that will do our confidence wonders going forward. It was obviously a big bollock we dropped in not knowing the exact permuatations of the group but in no way can anyone say that cost us top spot. If we'd thrown Aguero on and pushed forward Bayern may well of picked us off once and maybe beaten us. We very nearly won it 4-2 with Negredos chance and by beating Munich imagine the buzz running through that squad now. They take that into Saturdays game and stuff Arsenal and we've just beaten the European champions away from home and the top of the prem in 4 days. Sets us for a perfect run over xmas and great things next year.

I expect nothing less from the media to focus on the negative, but expected City fans to see the positives from last night.

holeinone said:
Totalfootball,

I am not suggesting Bayern didn't want to win just as we wanted to win, but at 2-0 up and then at 2-1 at half time it didn't look like we could win, because at that time they looked comfortable, but the Bayern that came out for the second half was not as committed, so were they confident of not losing by more than two goals, and therefor took their foot off the gas, because the City that played the second half didn't look that overpowering, as you would have expected them to have to be to come back and win 3-2.

I copied this into the other thread and made a response there.

Berkovic_blue said:
Huh? Of course he's right.

Unless he's spoken to everyone on City's staff from last night then no he's not right. He's speculating as to what might have happened, but the truth is he no more knows exactly what happened than anyone else on the forum.

Ultimately I don't even know what it is that people are pissed off about. We didn't shut up shop with 20 minutes to go and simply defend. We tried to score more goals right up until the last few minutes of the game.

BillyShears said:
Berkovic_blue said:
Huh? Of course he's right.

Unless he's spoken to everyone on City's staff from last night then no he's not right. He's speculating as to what might have happened, but the truth is he no more knows exactly what happened than anyone else on the forum.

Ultimately I don't even know what it is that people are pissed off about. We didn't shut up shop with 20 minutes to go and simply defend. We tried to score more goals right up until the last few minutes of the game.

If you're denying what the manager said in his post-match interview then that's entirely up to you, take the spin doctoring as far you like lol.

The fact is that Pellegrini, the man that matters and makes the decisions didn't know and he should've known. And he had also not communicated to the players properly what was required either.

If Mancini had made the same silly mistake then I'm sure you'd be happy to criticise him and I would too. Because believe it or not finishing 1st in the group is actually better than 2nd and it might be a good idea to make sure this doesn't happen again when there's even more on the line. I would expect ANY manager to know all the permutations of results going into a game like this.

The Flash said:
Some people need to take a look at themselves in the mirror, give their heads a wobble and chill the fuck out.

Manchester City FC have just beaten the European Champions, on their home turf, having been 2-0 down within 12 minutes. In the process we stopped Bayern winning for the 10th consecutive time. We showed fight, we showed spirit. Nobody gave us a chance, so the fact we did what we did was pretty amazing.

I'm proud of the team this morning. Yes, we could have topped the group by scoring one more, but bloody hell, is not what happened enough for some of you?

Some proper spoilt little brats amongst our fanbase these days and this thread is right up there with the worst.

Seriously are you stupid? Do you not think we are all buzzing? Does it not worry you that a club of our magnitude can make such a fundamental cock up? How is that being a spoilt brat? That is wanting us to be the very best and not make an amateur mistake. If you were the chairman what would you say? Ah fuck it it doesn't matter?<br /><br />-- Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:49 am --<br /><br />
The Flash said:
Some people need to take a look at themselves in the mirror, give their heads a wobble and chill the fuck out.

Manchester City FC have just beaten the European Champions, on their home turf, having been 2-0 down within 12 minutes. In the process we stopped Bayern winning for the 10th consecutive time. We showed fight, we showed spirit. Nobody gave us a chance, so the fact we did what we did was pretty amazing.

I'm proud of the team this morning. Yes, we could have topped the group by scoring one more, but bloody hell, is not what happened enough for some of you?

Some proper spoilt little brats amongst our fanbase these days and this thread is right up there with the worst.

Seriously are you stupid? Do you not think we are all buzzing? Does it not worry you that a club of our magnitude can make such a fundamental cock up? How is that being a spoilt brat? That is wanting us to be the very best and not make an amateur mistake. If you were the chairman what would you say? Ah fuck it it doesn't matter?

Did we really get it wrong? Yes we did.
Would MP have brought Sergio on if he knew we needed only one more goal? Yes he would.
Will someone be looking at how this came about? Yes they will.
Do we now need to make sure we don't repeat it? Yes we do.

Other than that as fans we can just scratch our heads and move on.

It was a collective cock up pure and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.