Did we really get it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cibaman said:
I was having a discussion about it in the ground, most fans seemed to think we needed 5-2. Its a confusing rule and it was a very unlikely scenario, but someone in the club should have been tasked with working out the permutations and communicating them to the manager.

I'm not sure that the Bayern team understand the rules, they didn't seem to be panicking, still going for the equaliser. But that could just be German self confidence.

I still think it was right to take off Silva. Perhaps we could have brought on Aguero when Dzeko went off. But I'm not sure that all out attack would have improved our chances. We were more likely to score by catching them on the break. We could have been more urgent in the last 10 mins . But perhaps not knowing the rule was the reason we secured the win.

Eh??? The Germans knew exactly what the situation was. Which is why they were keeping the ball by the corner flag with two mins remaining despite being a goal down.

Those pesky efficient Germans with their basic sums.

BillyShears said:
Question for people. Did it look like Bayern/Pep knew if we scored another goal we would be top?

It did to me, the way the kept the ball in our corner area near the end, not that I'm arsed about not finishing top.

BillyShears said:
I get the impression some people are desperate to cling on to the "typical City" tag and therefore see this as an opportunity to do just that. The truth is that whether the players knew another goal would see them top or not, the game was finely balanced for much of the last 20/30 minutes. If we'd decided to throw more caution to the wind, even a little more, it's also just as likely we'd have conceded another.

Plus the change of Negredo/Silva was bang on IMO. I absolutely didn't want to see Kun running around in Bayern for half an hour with Arsenal to play Saturday lunchtime.

There's something very perverse about the way people have reacted to last night. Certainly some of them anyway. It's like the Sky pundits who obviously didn't now how to react so decided to focus on the goal we could've scored and Pellegrini's post match comments rather than focusing on the fact we'd just won in Bayern.

Amen

Very well said fella.

I have a big smile on my face today and a slightly smug warm glow on the inside.

We arrived in Europe last night and made a big , BIG statement and everyone knows it.

Sky know it
Quinn knows it
The horrible arrogant Bayern rags know it
Platini knows it
Pep knew it anyway

As for the so called City "NOBS" (nostalgic oldschool bluemoon shysters) fook right off and stop ruining one of our finest reserve team victories in recent history.

CTID

BillyShears said:
inbetween said:
Going off something I heard last night, I don't know if he knew but I don't think anyone at all thought we'd go to Bayern and win having rested key players so why would they discuss it, winning the group was not the objective when going into this match but rather to rest players and not take any risks with a massive game this weekend. Yes we might get easier opposition in the next round but in this competition no team is EASY. If you want to win it, you have to be prepared to take on any team and beat them no matter what damn round it is. So I think us getting Barcelona next is the best possible thing for this club because we will beat them and show the rest of the teams left that we are going to be the most dangerous team in the competition.

As for Pellegrini, his team was 2-0 down last night and came back to win at the home of the European Champions, against a team that won 7-0 at the weekend who even had in terms of key players a miles better team than us. So for anyone to say he is clueless or amateur is just completely insulting for someone who has just given us the best result in our recent European history. It is also insulting of Sky to suggest that bringing Aguero on would of won the game, it wouldn't nor is there any guarantee it would!!!! That is how you should play in Europe, 1 striker and the Beast is more than capable of getting us goals. We would of butchered our midfield which wasn't exactly composed of our best players and who knows that might of cost us the points in the first place. I don't care about winning groups, we went to Bayern to get the best possible result, even scoring was a bonus and we managed to come away with a win.... I do not care really if Pellegrini knew, the fact is we got a win and considering our recent away record it could really set us up in that department, not to mention this sets us up for the biggest game of the season in the entire league on Saturday.

The manager took the decision to not put Aguero on because he didn't want to risk him with such a big game this weekend, whether he knew or not about the goal difference is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT because it was not a priority. I'm pretty sure he'd of got worst flack if he'd put Aguero on and Aguero went on to break his leg in the last 5 minutes.......................................................................................

Please lads, show some respect for what was a fantastic result for us. Who cares about the goal difference it is now irrelevant and even winning that game at all was always going to be a bonus, ignore the hype and get on with it!

Cracking post. I salute you.

No one's disrespecting the result. You are however completely wrong. Pellegrini confirmed in his interview that he would've brought Aguero on if it got to 4-2 so he obviously though 5-2 was required to finish top. It was a stupid, basic error that should not be allowed to happen again. Just admit it and move on

Lucky Toma said:
Bang on the money mate.

The way most posters are sticking their fingers in their ears over this and going 'Lalalala we beat Bayern so nothing else matters' genuinely dumbfounds me, especially as some are posters I've got a lot of time for.

Just to make it even more strange - Several of the posters who are trumpeting the result entirely over the gaffe, and claiming it a famous victory that is crucial to our confidence etc are the very same who wanted us to send out a team of stiffs last night in a 'dead rubber'.

Easy tiger. I'm having to listen to your whining across various social media platforms this morning and it's not pleasant ... ;)

Seriously though ... lets say you're right. That by some gross oversight on someone's part nobody on the bench last night knew that another goal would've seen us qualify. So what? It's happened now. I'm sure that whatever frustration/embarrassment/stress your feeling, if you multiply by 100 that's what MP, Txiki, Ferran, and Khaldoon will be feeling (that's if it was genuinely a fuck up).

However I'm going to stand by the idea that Aguero was never coming on last night with Arsenal so close by. I'm also going to go with the idea that simply changing one player for another was no guarantee that we'd score. And finally, and most importantly IMO, had we opened ourselves up just a little bit more at the back, Bayern would've scored again.

On balance taking the 3 - 2 victory was just as important as risking it to make it a 4 - 2 victory and top the group.

Another thing. I watched the game last night on French TV, and they were also under the impression that we needed to win by three clear goals to win the group.

forevermancity said:
TCIB said:
In fact screw this thread, i apologize in advance for swearing but some of you are unbelievable.

To those who want to smile and be happy, good for you, i feel a tad sorry for the others.

The fav that you and others are desperate to cling onto any negatives from last night speaks volumes. Check the company you keep, most of those who are slating Pelli have posted only about this issue, not about the win, not about the performance, not about going through

Eh ? i think you need to re-read my posts bud, that or you quoted the wrong poster.

BillyShears said:
Question for people. Did it look like Bayern/Pep knew if we scored another goal we would be top?

They fcuking did. They were shitting themselves after our 3rd goal. Pep took Manzukic off and sent on shaqiri while Cocky Muller was timewasting near the corner flag arnd 80mins

Only City could get bad publicity after beating the champions of Europe on their own pitch!

When we has 2 upfront they were getting back into it so taking Dzecko off did seem a good move. Now the team knows it can win away at top teams in Europe. Not one of those teams who we could play will want to play us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.