Did you ever think it would be this good?

blueste41

On the 1st September 2008 we all dreamed big, but did you ever in your wildest dreams believe we would see what we have in the last few seasons?
It's frikin ridiculous to think how far we have come from exactly 14 years ago today!

No never this good. I remember when Hughes was the manager and at one stage we were near the bottom of the table. I was convinced we really were cursed and no matter what we did we would never win another trophy ever.

No
It was a bit like this when Joe Mercer was manager, we were better than the rags but I never expected what we have now. Pep has made a massive difference. His contribution cannot be over emphasized.
All our world class players and not one of them moaning or misbehaving. A very happy dressing room, even the guys who don't play regularly don't moan.

Not in a million years, I was hoping we'd be competitive and maybe I'd see some form of silverware.

I looked at my youngest son last night going loopy after Haaland had completed his hattrick and I thought, I know I tell you the stories of what it was like, but you will never really understand quite how surreal the journey of this football club has been and how mad the position we now find ourselves in is to those of a certain age.

FFS Harling scores 2 hattricks and people are w*nking themselves silly. (as I was last night)

But before, after just 4 games, we annoint this team as the best ever, always remember the Centurions and the domestic treble winning team.

It has been a magnificent 11 years since the FA Cup win and Pep has taken us to new heights. We are truly blessed.

I remember sitting there on the 1st watching in wonder as it broke as we were linked to all these huge names.

Watching as likkle ol city was treated by the media as a joke for daring to try and tempt these super stars with money. All the jokes they made about us. About how robinho got confused. How about the bubble would pop.

How that continued with the Kaka bottling it, how Tottenham beat us to take 4th place. How we were evil to sack Mark Hughes.

Then we win the FA Cup and PL. They changed their tune quickly then. We went from being something they laughed at to something that was a threat. The clubs sat up and began to take notice. But by then it was too late. By then we had Kompany, Silva, Aguero. Players who'd had promise but became our legends. The initial spine (Inc yaya) that started our rise.

The press saw the investment, saw this strong team growing stronger and stronger and finally the penny dropped that this wasn't like Portsmouth, they meant business. And what a way they've changed our club.

Step by step these incredible men have built our club up on a solid foundation, they've granted us some incredible players, an elite manager and some games and experiences we'd never had dreamed of when we were all sat there watching Stuart Pearce grind out a 0-0 against Blackburn with a stuffed horse as our inspiration.

6 Premier League Trophies, countless domestic honours. And this is what the press will never understand when they throw the CL insults at us. We've seen the lows, we've cried seeing our beloved club dropping down and down. We've struggled so we treasure every damn high!

I don’t think anyone could have envisaged this. I think with the players we were signing we would have looked at a domestic cup, maybe UEFA Cup the odd season. Anything would have been an upgrade and it was just good to be in the news and to be linked with the players linked with. For the clubs sake I’m glad a few didn’t come off *cough* Kaka *cough* Torres.

When you look at the gradual progression, even after the 2012 title, it has clearly been their plan to get to this point. Total domestic domination. A club recognised the world over. Players who chose us first now. We can sustain this for some time, too.

What has been a beautiful and hilarious bit on the side is Taggart retiring and the absolute shambles that lot have become even to the point they are so far beneath us now we are out of sight. I didn’t expect that on 1/9/08. Yet here we are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.