Did You Go Halifax Away In the FA Cup in 1980?

Yes. I was only 16 and I was already by then getting used to "typical City"
Same feeling ..I was at both Halifax and Shrewsbury and it was just awful knowing how embarrassed I was going to be on the Monday morning in work !
CTID :)

Were there ticket allocations then? Thought they were still pay at the gate or has my dementia set in?
Most games were pay at the gate but if a full house was virtually certain it might be made ‘all ticket’. Local police could insist on it for safety reasons if necessary.

I wasn't at Halifax but I was actually on a bus back from Maine Road into town when the draw was made, in the days when the draw was still made on Saturday (seems strange that, now!)
That day we had just beaten Derby 3:0 and someone had a 'transistor radio' ,as they were called in those days. When the draw was made everyone started cheering, little did we all know what lay ahead!
We got to the final the following year ofcourse (winning at another 4th Division Peterborough along the way) but In years to come whenever we were drawn against a lower division team away the reaction was often groans rather than cheers.
Barnsley, Brentford(when they were in 3rd Division) Cardiff, Chesterfield, Doncaster, Wigan....the list goes on!

I was there,managed to get close to the dressing rooms after the match,and remember Joe Corrigan had to be held back by Asa Hartford for fronting up a very angry City fan as they were getting on the coach after the game.

I was in the corner where the goal was scored.Remember that behind the stand to our right (opposite the main stand) looked like a fly tippers paradise.

Like many others, I was at Halifax, ankle deep in mud as the terracing (just like the old Springfield Park) didn’t cover the whole end. Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse - the game started. If I remember correctly, a few days earlier, we were due to play Villa away, so got all the way Birmingham only for game to be called off. Was ‘made up’ when the Halifax game didn’t go the same way a few days later - if only I’d have known what was in store.

I wasn't at Halifax but I was actually on a bus back from Maine Road into town when the draw was made, in the days when the draw was still made on Saturday (seems strange that, now!)
That day we had just beaten Derby 3:0 and someone had a 'transistor radio' ,as they were called in those days. When the draw was made everyone started cheering, little did we all know what lay ahead!
We got to the final the following year ofcourse (winning at another 4th Division Peterborough along the way) but In years to come whenever we were drawn against a lower division team away the reaction was often groans rather than cheers.
Barnsley, Brentford(when they were in 3rd Division) Cardiff, Chesterfield, Doncaster, Wigan....the list goes on!
Carlisle, Bolton, Bury…..

Anyone remember Barnsley away early 80’s and there was a burger van at the back of the stand and it kicked off with her so she threw chip fat out at whoever was rocking her van?
Also remember going on the train to Huddersfield in the late 80’s in the fa cup, 3rd replay if memory serves me correctly, open air stand, January, middle of the week, pissed down and I thought I look cool in a cream coloured jacket. Not cream after I slipped on my arse and was full of footprints when Steve Kinsey(?) scored!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.