Diego Carlos

Cruel.
If that deal doesn’t go through, you’ll have another few years of those pretty short passes to enjoy/suffer. ;-)
Napoli have so many gaps to plug that someone of Zinchenko’s versatility could be highly useful. We’ve evidently used Otamendi as ballast in the Torres deal, so I‘d expect the same if we get Koulibaly.

He'd be fine over there, I think.

If there are no real quality right sided defenders, I'm not sure why a left sided one, who is talented, can't learn to play there & occasionally lump the ball from right to left, with his left foot. I can understand why Carragher couldn't, of course...

Amazing these guys can get away with having one foot to kick with.

In theory, you're absolutely right - there is no good reason why a leftie shouldn't be able to adapt like any right sided player who plays on the left (KK and Carlos being two good examples)

In reality, I guess it's about familiarity and opportunity. As right footers are more common, it's more likely they'll have at least played on the other side at some point through their development, and will be familiar with the adaptations they need to make when playing the role on the other side.

As left footer are a rarer breed, they generally play on the left and nowhere else - and may not have ever had to adapt their game to their other foot. They may not be able to make that transition and be as effective on the other side of the pitch.

And it's that unknown element which makes a big money transfer a risk most wouldn't want to take when the intention is to play them out of position from the off.

In theory, you're absolutely right - there is no good reason why a leftie shouldn't be able to adapt like any right sided player who plays on the left (KK and Carlos being two good examples)

In reality, I guess it's about familiarity and opportunity. As right footers are more common, it's more likely they'll have at least played on the other side at some point through their development, and will be familiar with the adaptations they need to make when playing the role on the other side.

As left footer are a rarer breed, they generally play on the left and nowhere else - and may not have ever had to adapt their game to their other foot. They may not be able to make that transition and be as effective on the other side of the pitch.

And it's that unknown element which makes a big money transfer a risk most wouldn't want to take when the intention is to play them out of position from the off.
Bang on the money in my opinion.

At least if we want this lad we just turn up and pay the money, no pissing about. He had a good year, watched a bit of Sevilla to just see how Navas etc was getting on. We are buying him off recent reputation rather than a sustained period as a top defender but that isn't the end of the world. Id be interested to see what Pep could do with him

At least if we want this lad we just turn up and pay the money, no pissing about. He had a good year, watched a bit of Sevilla to just see how Navas etc was getting on. We are buying him off recent reputation rather than a sustained period as a top defender but that isn't the end of the world. Id be interested to see what Pep could do with him

Looks a lot like Garcia in that he is not the biggest and is not a beast but can play it about like a midfielder.

I can see why the interest. Maybe this is the guy we wait on and hope Stones / Otamendi can move on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.