Diesel cars - would you buy

Hart of the Matter

searched but could not find current thread. A mate is about to splurge out 35k on a Disvovery. The version he wants is only available as a diesel. With all the talk of scrappage schemes, increased car tax and congestion charges for diesel, would he be stupid to invest? Are the issues with old diesel only. Are any retro fit solutions available.... any advice?

No I wouldn't but thats personal preference for petrol over diesel after some bad experiences. I'd suspect its more older diesels that are the main issue - say 3-5 years and beyond but I'd still used the anti diesel propaganda to haggle hard with dealers. Its financial suicide to buy a petrol Disco !

The facts are irrelevant. The anti diesel movement propaganda will ensure public perception will be that diesel cars are killers and make them disappear in the UK. Unfortunately the hysteria is fairly local so manufacturers will not be changing production anytime soon.
Higher taxes, scrappage schemes etc will see them off.

A petrol Disco would probably cost £35000 to run, so no contest there. Difficult really, with the latest hysteria about
diesel, persuade him to go for a Micra, if not, just use a hoop and stick.

A petrol Disco would probably cost £35000 to run, so no contest there. Difficult really, with the latest hysteria about
diesel, persuade him to go for a Micra, if not, just use a hoop and stick.
Unfortunately it an automatic she requires for motorbility issues - only diesel available I believe.
My own car is a 4 yr old diesel- second hand value has plummeted in last couple of weeks. This story is biting hard. Anyone know if older engine designs are redeemable?

Do you think this could harm the diesel car market?
I would definitely think twice at the moment.
I have a diesel and love it, need to change it in the next few months though.

The only thing that peturbs me with diesals is are they fit for purpose.
If you intend doing in excess of 90k plus then do give them a blast down the motorway every week to regenerate.
The amount of problems with agp's and clogged particulate filters is ridiculous and beyond a joke.
I will not do more than 25k over my three year tenure so continue to remain firmly entrenched as a diesal advocate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest stories ate market manipulation. I can't help feeling the general public are being conned at every opportunity.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.