Disabled and Free Parking

I don't know why wheelchair spaces are near the front of entrances because if they're being wheeled surely it doesn't matter where they're parked? They should have wheelchair spaces at the back of the car park and maybe stick and crutch spaces nearer. Although many stick and crutch users won't actually qualify for a blue badge. Madness!!

Franny Lee's Barrel Chest said:
I don't know why wheelchair spaces are near the front of entrances because if they're being wheeled surely it doesn't matter where they're parked? They should have wheelchair spaces at the back of the car park and maybe stick and crutch spaces nearer. Although many stick and crutch users won't actually qualify for a blue badge. Madness!!

What makes you come to that conclusion ?

When I was in Lourdes the other year the car park was rammed but I just drove straight into a None Disabled place, piece of piss.

Paid car parks give the driver the opportunity to park near where they want to be. They could choose to park a distance away for free, or get a train or bus etc.

Disabled drivers often don't have the luxury of parking elsewhere or taking public transport, nor do their carers. This is why they are often given free parking.

rickmcfc said:
Can someone please explain why if you're disabled you get to park in a lot of places for free? I agree with special disabled places nearer to entrances etc, but why should it be free?

OK i will finally bite on this. After reading some of the absolute fucking nonsense in this thread.

Why is parking free? In many cases its not, its pot luck. Supermarkets will be free, but they will be free for everyone. The Peel centre is Stockport charge which explains why there are always loads of empty disabled bays. Hope Hospital charge but you can claim it back if you are capable off walking the 500 yards to the cash office. Tourist destinations invariably charge too, as i found out to my cost getting a ticket in Morecambe. The only place i regularly park for free is Cheadle village, even then its only 20p for 2 hours anyway.

Manchester City centre traffic wardens will not book a disabled badge displayer. Told this by one of them who was a great help in getting me 20 yards from Market Street one day. Parked on double yellows too. But watch for the Yellow on the kerb thats a no no park. Got a ticket for that.

If i get a parking ticket its a quarter of my weekly income. So i check, check and check again.

What i find more annoying than paying which dosent bother me particulary is the ignorance that people have to why disabled parking spots exist. You will have noticed im sure that they are wider and longer than normal spots. I can walk and can be quite well at times as some on here will testify, but if i drive to Hope i need a disabled space so i can open my car door fully and swing my legs out after moving my seat back so i can get out of the car. In a normal spot i simply cant get out. They are longer to allow for people to open boots and use wheelchair stuff.

Its not like we are asking the world, just greatful for a little help and a bit of compassion. On a bad day that few extra yards and bit more room is a fucking godsend and if not available i have had to go home.

Rascal said:
rickmcfc said:
Can someone please explain why if you're disabled you get to park in a lot of places for free? I agree with special disabled places nearer to entrances etc, but why should it be free?

OK i will finally bite on this. After reading some of the absolute fucking nonsense in this thread.

Why is parking free? In many cases its not, its pot luck. Supermarkets will be free, but they will be free for everyone. The Peel centre is Stockport charge which explains why there are always loads of empty disabled bays. Hope Hospital charge but you can claim it back if you are capable off walking the 500 yards to the cash office. Tourist destinations invariably charge too, as i found out to my cost getting a ticket in Morecambe. The only place i regularly park for free is Cheadle village, even then its only 20p for 2 hours anyway.

Manchester City centre traffic wardens will not book a disabled badge displayer. Told this by one of them who was a great help in getting me 20 yards from Market Street one day. Parked on double yellows too. But watch for the Yellow on the kerb thats a no no park. Got a ticket for that.

If i get a parking ticket its a quarter of my weekly income. So i check, check and check again.

What i find more annoying than paying which dosent bother me particulary is the ignorance that people have to why disabled parking spots exist. You will have noticed im sure that they are wider and longer than normal spots. I can walk and can be quite well at times as some on here will testify, but if i drive to Hope i need a disabled space so i can open my car door fully and swing my legs out after moving my seat back so i can get out of the car. In a normal spot i simply cant get out. They are longer to allow for people to open boots and use wheelchair stuff.

Its not like we are asking the world, just greatful for a little help and a bit of compassion. On a bad day that few extra yards and bit more room is a fucking godsend and if not available i have had to go home.

I know exactly what you mean having taken my mum out in the car, need to have the door wide open to get her out then major struggle with wheelchair out of the boot, you just need that extra room! Same with mother and baby spaces you need the wider space to muck about strapping the child in the baby seat!

Went shopping with Mrs HC tonight and the disabled were havin it large, ballooning around the massive free spaces next to the shops. I'm sure back in the 70's there were hardly any disabled, and certainly not in supermarkets at night.

Helmet Cole said:
Went shopping with Mrs HC tonight and the disabled were havin it large, ballooning around the massive free spaces next to the shops. I'm sure back in the 70's there were hardly any disabled, and certainly not in supermarkets at night.
I'm sure in the seventies supermarkets weren't open at night and cars in real terms are a lot cheaper than then,therefore more available and most disabled drivers were forced to drive the three wheeled blue 'spaz chaz's'.

waterloo blue said:
Helmet Cole said:
I'm sure in the seventies supermarkets weren't open at night and cars in real terms are a lot cheaper than then,therefore more available and most disabled drivers were forced to drive the three wheeled blue 'spaz chaz's'.
....Is it right to yearn for these simpler times when the shops shut at 5.30, all disabled people only drove reliant robins, and gay folk all looked like the village people or elton john?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.