"Disappointing" attendances

Gary can you show me where our attendances are better than Liverpool I’d love to throw that back into a few faces

Our average attendance as published in various yearbooks etc. This should do: https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/premier-league/attendances. Go back every season to 2003 and check. Important to say 'more people pay to watch MCFC's PL home games than LFC's PL home games and have done for most of the last 17 years' as LFC will say 'but your fans don't show up' - that's an irrelevance as more pay to attend. (you can't check before about 2012 on that site but there are plenty of others if you search for them).

Disappointing attendances, I am not disappointed, we have very good average attendances in the premier league, and champions league, yes the cups can be a bit up and down, but last night was different there were many reasons for the low attendance which has been mentioned. I don't think we are any different to the rest of the clubs, and need to be more positive , and ignore the shit which is thrown at us, City fans have always been loyal, that's been proven over our history.

Two blokes that have sat next to me for years weren't there because there kids were off for half term and they had both made other arrangements, and they normally never miss

Pulling out random examples from 10 years ago, does not necessarily correlate in my opinion. We do have an issue with attendances on a more regular basis than I would like.
And Tottenham had PL attendances of 29k and 33k last season.

When the Icelandic Ash Cloud hit Northern Europe ten years ago, Liverpool played West Ham in front of 37,697.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8620335.stm

When there was a bomb threat at Old Trafford and they had to rearrange their fixture against Bournemouth, there were no more than about 45,000 there.
_89722826_ot_tweet5.jpg

I’m disappointed with our turn-out last night, I thought it was piss poor. But never forget that the same thing happens at clubs with hundreds of millions of fans!

The proper core local support of any big club falls around 35-45,000. The rest is made up of out-of-towners and nobodies.
Could not agree more

Attendances - it's time for all of us at MCFC to start boasting of our support and looking for the positives. Obviously, the club needs to look at factors such as pricing, timing of games, transport etc. but what none of us should do is lose sight of what we are and what we demonstrate every time we attend a game. MCFC are not, nor have they ever been a poorly supported club. For example, we have never been the worst supported club in our division (both MUFC and AFC have for example!) and for most of the last 17 years more people have paid to watch our home league games on average each season than have watched LFC's PL home games. ALL clubs have occasional blips, or poorly attended games and so there's nothing to see there. Any club that gets 50,000 average (or even 40,000 average!) is a success. When clubs had 55,000 capacity stadia and attracted 39,000 no one jibed about empty terraces/empty seats, so why do we let them do that to us today?

We need to stand firm and challenge those who criticise and we need to do all we can to improve the atmosphere. No one can tell City fans what they must do or what they should do - we have so many opinions and backgrounds that no one will ever unify us all - but what we do have is a history of fan power; of supporters demonstrating all that is positive about being a City supporter. We've been bombarded and abused far too much and we know it's taking its toll, but it's time we started to fight back. Time we started to remind everyone of our loyalty, banter, achievements and humour as fans.

For as long as I can remember fans have whinged about the mood/atmosphere in certain areas of the ground (the Kippax dubbed the Maine Rd Main Stand the 'Moan Stand' for example) - let's not fool ourselves into thinking the atmosphere was always brilliant in the past. I've started to ramble but the point is we need to start boasting of what makes our fans unique; of our loyalty; of our humour and so on.
How do you give a standing ovation on BM?

Gary can you show me where our attendances are better than Liverpool I’d love to throw that back into a few faces

I made a post about something similar to this a few years ago. Sorry don't have the data anymore, but Liverpools record attendance is 61,905. City have many, many, attendances higher than that figure during our history.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.