Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
cibaman said:
I can't see the point of playing Aguero in a 4-3-3 unless he's the central striker. I think Aguero should only play one of two positions, as a single striker or as one of a pair of strikers. Playing him deeper or wider is a complete waste of time. Whenever we play Aguero the aim should be to get him into the penalty area as much as possible

I think the beauty of Aguero is that he's mobile and can be effective as a striker from anywhere up front, unlike Dzeko or Negredo who are traditional number nines.

grahamgor said:
after bayern 1-3, the media put the boot into manuel pellegrini, claiming '' he had no ideas of his own'' that '' he hoped it'd be all right on the night'' and '' looked like the owner of a high class new york restaurant''
when everton were beaten by the same scoreline ,they gave him no credit for his preparation, team selection and tactics ie

preparation
the triangular free kick gambit was only the most obvious example of work done in training. it must've been rehearsed time and time again.It didn't quite come off but the mere fact it was attempted knocked everton out of their stride. it laid down a marker, we're different class!

team selection.
against bayern several players lacked focus as MP hinted to stubbs in the pre-match interview. clichy was caught napping, navas froze, nasri wasted energy mouthing off and getting needlessly booked for a petulant foul and Richards hurled himself into the fray, sometimes impeding teammates.
So none of these figured but Zaba, Kolarov and James Milner came in. all of these were fully focussed against everton

tactics
MP clearly identified 2 big individual threats- Baines for his freekicks and for his passing skill to start breakaways, Lukaku for his speed and strength on the ball.
He countered this by telling milner to stick tight to the scouser, deny him the time and space to start counters and to harass him so he wouldn't be fresh and confident if they got a free kick in a danger zone. Milner did just that and could be seen at the start of the second half checking instructions with MP
MP chose Lescott so he would have two physically strong centre-backs to keep Lukaku at bay and most times Joleon stood up to the Belgian lad

MP also clearly identified Everton's collective threat on the break and knew it was necessary to stop these at source by all means short of redcard recklessness . This was carried out eg when VK was booked for an alleged bodycheck on Lukaku,when Milner put macarthy on the deck and was booked though he got the ball, when Silva tripped Lukaku, and when Zaba cleanly stopped Lukaku in his tracks.
The end product was that everton, a side with a good record at the etihad, unbeaten this season till now, well-drilled,hard-working and combative, were disheartened and decisively defeated- not just by moments of magic from david silva, yaya or kun

is everything hunky-dory ? no, vk and joleon were not on the same wavelength for the long ball which led to the goal. same thing with vince and nasty at villa park. this must be addressed

Still, it was not a bad afternoon's work for an allegedly clueless, complacent old posh geezer !

Some complementary remarks by Baines in The Times today. "Whenever we tried to build up through the middle, which is one of the subtle changes in our way of playing....they had identified that and were quick to flood those areas. City had done their homework and did a good job."

grahamgor said:
after bayern 1-3, the media put the boot into manuel pellegrini, claiming '' he had no ideas of his own'' that '' he hoped it'd be all right on the night'' and '' looked like the owner of a high class new york restaurant''
when everton were beaten by the same scoreline ,they gave him no credit for his preparation, team selection and tactics ie

preparation
the triangular free kick gambit was only the most obvious example of work done in training. it must've been rehearsed time and time again.It didn't quite come off but the mere fact it was attempted knocked everton out of their stride. it laid down a marker, we're different class!

team selection.
against bayern several players lacked focus as MP hinted to stubbs in the pre-match interview. clichy was caught napping, navas froze, nasri wasted energy mouthing off and getting needlessly booked for a petulant foul and Richards hurled himself into the fray, sometimes impeding teammates.
So none of these figured but Zaba, Kolarov and James Milner came in. all of these were fully focussed against everton

tactics
MP clearly identified 2 big individual threats- Baines for his freekicks and for his passing skill to start breakaways, Lukaku for his speed and strength on the ball.
He countered this by telling milner to stick tight to the scouser, deny him the time and space to start counters and to harass him so he wouldn't be fresh and confident if they got a free kick in a danger zone. Milner did just that and could be seen at the start of the second half checking instructions with MP
MP chose Lescott so he would have two physically strong centre-backs to keep Lukaku at bay and most times Joleon stood up to the Belgian lad

MP also clearly identified Everton's collective threat on the break and knew it was necessary to stop these at source by all means short of redcard recklessness . This was carried out eg when VK was booked for an alleged bodycheck on Lukaku,when Milner put macarthy on the deck and was booked though he got the ball, when Silva tripped Lukaku, and when Zaba cleanly stopped Lukaku in his tracks.
The end product was that everton, a side with a good record at the etihad, unbeaten this season till now, well-drilled,hard-working and combative, were disheartened and decisively defeated- not just by moments of magic from david silva, yaya or kun

is everything hunky-dory ? no, vk and joleon were not on the same wavelength for the long ball which led to the goal. same thing with vince and nasty at villa park. this must be addressed

Still, it was not a bad afternoon's work for an allegedly clueless, complacent old posh geezer !

+1

Probably the best post I've seen on here.

Nowt to talk about really . Pellergrini knows he needs to do better . I expect us to win a few away matches now . After this crappy international break .

grahamgor said:

preparation

team selection.

tactics

Good post, that. Backed up by baines's comments about how we'd done our homework. Rather gives the lie to the comedy accusation that Pellegrini 'the puppet' is somehow hamstrung by executing txiki's one dimensional tactics and system.

By the way, that free kick routine was tried against united and wasn't far from success then either.

BillyShears said:
Just to go back to my earlier post about the kind of midfield player we need ... for my money we already have him in the squad in Nasri ... it's a shame that neither Pellegrini nor Mancini viewed him as suitable for that role.
Are you me in disguise? I mean, it is one thing to agree about a point. It is something else to use the exact same phrase. Thats scared me a bit. I thought this was my respoonse.

Lots of opinions I agree with on this thread. I should perhaps check this thread more. I generally thought it was a thread between the "Mancini faithfuls" pointing out how shit MP was, and others who wanted Mancini out arguing the opposite. So I often ignored the thread in general. My loss!

daxman said:
Lots of opinions I agree with on this thread. I should perhaps check this thread more. I generally thought it was a thread between the "Mancini faithfuls" pointing out how shit MP was, and others who wanted Mancini out arguing the opposite. So I often ignored the thread in general. My loss!
It... has its ups and downs. You might wish to avoid this discussion after a bad loss. But yes, for the most part it's a sensible discussion. I do think the manager needs to adapt his tactics to the PL because a whole host of clubs LOVE chucking long balls 60 yards up the field trying to split your central defenders. On aggregate, we haven't really been outplayed in the Premier League. Stoke was a very down performance as was the first half against Hull. Those two clubs are better than one might think at first glance. They suffer from what most midtable PL teams suffer, ie lack of a quality forward. The ones that do have a quality forward have issues getting them the ball in the final third. Anyway, this is a roundabout way of saying that we're susceptible to one prevalent tactic especially away from home. That's correctable. We need to start correcting it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.