Discuss Pellegrini....

Status
Not open for further replies.
OB1 said:
TonyBookEnd said:
I don't remember that Holland team (before my time) but the team that sticks in my memory is the Brazil 82 side. It was the first World Cup I could remember but that team was magical, pure fantasy. I can remember the great goals and could still name the lineup. The only thing I can remember about the eventual winners is Paolo Rossi. History remembers these magical sides that inspire and fire the imagination, not the pragmatic, organised and rather dull sides.

That Brazil side and the Dutch side of '74 are the two best teams never to win the World Cup.

Hungary 1954 - unbeaten in 32 games going into the tournament, reigning Olympic Champions and on the back of 6-3 and 7-1 victories against England, and the highest rated international team in history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Football_Elo_Ratings#All-time_highest_ratings

He just overlooked the greatest run I ever saw at City, 20 games unbeaten. Needs to do it again now and cement our place in history.

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
Should this thread not be renamed the George,Billy and OB1 thread??

Can't we all just move on. Pellegrini is the man!

We could do with a thread that allows us to discuss Pellegrini's tactics without the poisonous inner/outer debate. Accept that he's the manager but still feel able to criticise or praise as we would with any manager.

cibaman said:

We could do with a thread that allows us to discuss Pellegrini's tactics without the poisonous inner/outer debate. Accept that he's the manager but still feel able to criticise or praise as we would with any manager.

I agree. I was quite vocal during the early weeks of his appointment however I have realised he is definitely the man to take us forward. inner/Outer debate went for me a long time ago. mancini = City legend but that part of our development is over. We ALL have to move on.
His tactics werefine the other night with the personnel he had available

OB1 said:
TonyBookEnd said:
I don't remember that Holland team (before my time) but the team that sticks in my memory is the Brazil 82 side. It was the first World Cup I could remember but that team was magical, pure fantasy. I can remember the great goals and could still name the lineup. The only thing I can remember about the eventual winners is Paolo Rossi. History remembers these magical sides that inspire and fire the imagination, not the pragmatic, organised and rather dull sides.

That Brazil side and the Dutch side of '74 are the two best teams never to win the World Cup.

i would prefer pellers team/teams to be remembered ala brazil's 70 team, france's 98 or spains 2010
super stylish teams who actually won things to go with the quality on show

Shaelumstash said:
supercity88 said:
Bodicoteblue said:
Well you created the hypothetical situation about the the place I live in where there is no car and no buses except the ones that don't go where I'm going and where their is no access to any other form of transport.
We could go on all night creating ever more ludicrous scenarios to try to prove points which are unprovable because they are matters of opinion and conjecture.
I didn't do Latin at school because it was a state run comp that didn't teach it , but I have never let that stop me from learning things , be they in dead languages or not. It broadens the mind and allows for the careful analysis and dissection of all sorts of situations and the application of alternative or complementary views to further debate.
If we had as you say 4 midfielders why was Demichelis being played out of position against one of the best midfields in the league and in Hazard one of the best players in that midfield where he was being ruthlessly exposed and when it was becoming so painfully obvious was nothing done about it?
Even if Milner and Rodwell were half fit they would have been more effective in stopping Chelsea just by weight of numbers if nothing else .
I just wanted to see some action taken to change the pattern of the game .
It's all very well to praise the free flowing, attacking football we've become happily accustomed to , but it's fairy tale stuff- two sides ( Bayern and Chelsea ) have both demonstrated how to beat that style - Palace nearly got a point at ours.
What happens when we get more injuries to key players - that is as sure as death and taxes- and other managers spot that whatever happens we will stick to the same system ? We will become more vulnerable and we lose more games .
I don't want to be Arsenal playing lovely football and winning nothing - I don't know how old you are but the Dutch side of the 70s was the best international side of its generation sweeping all before them in an orgy of sexy attacking football with flair and skill . What did they have to show for it - bugger all

So you are keen on learning and analysing things? Well how can I best teach you... hmmm. Let me start by telling you that Demichelis has played several times in that defensive midfield role. That he did a better job there than Rodwell who played centrally with Yaya against Watford and was removed when we were 2-0 down. We could play Milner who only trained for the first time that day and who may have caused himself greater injury. For all the talk of their excellent midfield, it was a pretty close game. I remember Messi playing for Barca last season in the Champions League. They rushed him back for a big game. He was anonymous and made no impact. A fully fit Demichelis playing in the same role he had done in the two previous games - at least in parts - was a better bet. I have explained numerous times why we were forced into playing the way we did. The other options were not viable. And we did change things second half. Pellegrini put Yaya further back and put Jovetic on so that we had more fluidity and movement in midfield. Watch the first 20 mins again, we could have been ahead.

Our goal is not to mimic the Dutch team of the 70s that didn't win things. Nor is it to mimic the Chelsea tactics in Europe of 2011/12. Or Greece or Denmark when they won the Euros. The Dutch sides attacking mentality was fantastic, it got them to two major finals and they are still talked about now as playing "total football". The Barca side that lost to Chelsea had already established themselves as one of, if not the, best club team in history. Bayern also lost to Chelsea but subsequently won the treble and have cemented their name in European club history. We all want to win things and be pragmatic. Had we had more options on Monday I would have been critical had Pellegrini not addressed our weaknesses but we didn't and those are the facts. But we are not going to follow the route of Chelsea and Mourinho's style that will leave no mark on football. I know that when we look back at the history books and we see Di Matteo's Chelsea in the Champions League winners list that it means the same as seeing Barca, Bayern and the great Ajax/Milan/Liverpool sides. But it doesn't. The same as when you talk about the Spain side that won the Euro's it leaves more of a mark than Denmark in 92 or Greece in 2004. Anything can happen in football, one team can beat another on any given day. But the great teams are those that look to win every game they play and leave a stamp on the sport. That is our ambition.

Great post, you make some excellent points. The sides you refer to: 2010's Barca, 70s Ajax. 70s/80s Liverpool, 80s/90s Milan all played different styles of football. The one constant? They won. In fact, they all won 3 or more European Cups.

Some of those teams (Barca and Ajax in particular) are remembered for a certain style of attractive, attacking football. I can't comment on Ajax as it was before my time. But the Barca side, I would agree seemed to stick to it's attacking, attractive philosophy, and were very successful.

The difference is though, Spain is essentially a 2 team league. You can afford to play open, attacking football, no matter how many injuries you have if you are Barcelona. The Premier League is a rather different proposition though.

Barca are clearly the model we are looking to emulate, and long term I think that is a fantastic thing for us to aspire to. Let's bear in mind, Barca started with their 433, tiki taka style throughout the club since Cruyff became manager in 1988. They have stuck to it almost every year since. The fruits of that was the incredible team that is still there today, with a core of players who have been brought up to play that way from being children.

That is the long term vision for us, and I'm absolutely delighted about that, and of course it should be supported and encouraged.

The other teams you mention, Milan and Liverpool, they took a rather more pragmatic approach. While capable of playing incredibly attractive, attacking football, they were also well known for being brilliant defensively, very hard to beat. Pragmatic. Winners.

Now, if we have to be practical and a little more cautious in some games while we are on the journey to becoming Barca 2.0, that's not necessarily a bad thing. If we have to be solid in some games when the players aren't available for open, attacking football, is that such a bad thing? Would we have lost a million fans in China and ruined our future if we'd lined up with one up front against Chelsea and Bayern, and come away with a better result? I don't think so.

The long term goal is to play like Barca, and that's fantastic. We are 6 months in to this new "philosophy". If we have to apply some of the solidity of a Milan or a Liverpool in the short term to get results and win trophies, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Would you rather be remembered as the attack at all costs losers, or the winning machine that in 4 or 5 games a season played a bit more solid?
Fabulous post

TonyBookEnd said:

Same for me, best team I have ever seen, that Brazil 82 side, I was eight years old and Zico became my first hero.

To be fair, the format was different then and Brazil went out because they just chased goals.

Dino Zoff also made an incredible save late on.

Rossi had just come back from some dodgy match fixing scam?

cibaman said:

I agree. I was quite vocal during the early weeks of his appointment however I have realised he is definitely the man to take us forward. inner/Outer debate went for me a long time ago. mancini = City legend but that part of our development is over. We ALL have to move on.
His tactics werefine the other night with the personnel he had available

I try to avoid the politics of the decision making as well. I remember being at the Sunderland game when Mark Hughes was on the touch line, the game was frantic and then I was told he had been sacked. It was very odd. I felt a loyalty to Hughes and a distrust of Mancini because he took another mans job before they knew they were leaving. It didn't take me long to come around to Mancini he certainly "wooed" us fans with his city scarf and on the field results. Similarly I remember being in the Green Man at Wembley and rather than look forward to the cup final, discuss Mancini's possible sacking and the arrival of Pellegrini. It was madness. Again though, I see why the club did it and so far they have been justified. Clearly we need to turn the results into trophies and titles but I am confident we will.

A lot of the discussion has turned to International teams that set a marker but never won trophies. It is interesting, but they only get an opportunity to play together every month or so and major tournaments don't come around too often. Frank Lampard has been one of the best English players of the last decade - does anyone know how many major tournaments he has been to in his career?

Club sides that build a dynasty and establish a mentality and playing philosophy are generally rewarded. I made the example that Chelsea under Di Matteo won the C.L through defensive tactics and counter attack and beat Barca and Bayern on the way. That Barca side had already won the titles it deserved, and Bayern went on to win the treble last season. Chelsea won the Europa League but they didn't come close to anything else. Now City are not being short sited, we are building for the long term - you can see that with the infrastructure that is being put in place - new training facilities, stadium expansion etc. It is therefore silly to suggest that we will come and go but will not achieve and will be talked about in the same ilk as the Dutch and Brazilian national teams of the 70s and early 80s respectively.

I always think with football you can sometimes over analyse. Andy Gray with his marker pen used to frustrate me with his over analysis of individual players positioning. Footballers make mistakes. They are human. Sometimes despite having the best players on the pitch you do not win. Chelsea this season have lost games the probably didn't deserve to. Mourinho wasn't such a genius then. He picked the players he thought could do a job. He had a lot of options. We picked the players that were fit and available and tried to play a side that showed the same fluidity and style that had brought us success from the last 20 games. It has been done to death on playing alternative formations etc, but no one has put forward a realistic alternative that takes into account injuries, best positions etc. The way the first 20 mins went we could have scored and when Chelsea did it was always going to be difficult. We only lost 1-0 and Chelsea did not restrict us from having any chances to score so for me their tactics were not fully executed.

I am over discussing it any further, it was one game and people are looking too much into it. We played Garcia and Fernandinho together at Stamford Bridge with Yaya in midfield too. We didn't create much and still conceded. It happens. If Pellegrini wins us the league this season hopefully people will give more credit to his quick implementation of tactics etc this season.

Gillespie said:
OB1 said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
I wouldn't say I don't care about winning all before us this season, but irrespective of what this season yields, I know I will look upon it with great fondness.

As usual with this football club there's never been a dull moment and the football at times has been as good as ever witnessed on these shores and whilst, I repeat , I don't want this season to be a by-word for heroic failure, it's also worth remembering that the losing Holland team of 1974 has withstood the gaze of history much more robustly than the winning German one. Winning isn't everything.

Has this all been down to one man? Clearly not. Mansour's largesse and the infrastructure it has acquired has enabled this to take place, but Pellegrini has got a group of disaffected, underperforming young millionaires to play with the joy and freedom all too lacking last season. He deserves tremendous credit and comments about how he was outsmarted by Mourinho fail to appreciate (or acknowledge) the difficult hand he was dealt on Monday or for that matter that sometimes the better team wins on the night, just like we did in Munich. The way we play means were going to get mugged occasionally by teams that play like Chelsea. It's certainly preferable to having to endure watching it every week.

Whatever happens this season this team will go onto true greatness in the next couple of seasons imo. The age profile of the squad is perfect and the core players have been together for a length of time that can only pay dividends in the next 2-3 years. In the Summer get the likes of Nasri and Milner tied down on extended contracts; buy a world class centre-half and left back; bolster the midfield then light the light-blue touchpaper and sit back and enjoy the show.

It's going to be one hell of a ride and without Manuel Pellegrini I'm not sure it would be anything like as much fun.

You often make me smile but you really should make more contributions like this one. Love the point about one of my most admired teams, the Netherlands of '74.

I loved watching Holland in both the '74 and '78 World Cups

They didn't deserve to lose both, though my favourite was the '78 team with the likes of Arie Haan, Rep, Rensenbrinck, the van der Kerkhof twins, Neeskens, Ruud Krol. Fantastic team.

And has since emerged that Argentina bribed a referee on their way to the final.

Holland were done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.