Discussing Religion with Kids

If I was explaining religion/mythologies to a child; if they are old enough, or once they are, I’d show them some of the following programmes:

Universe: God Star (The Sun)

Wonders Of The Solar System: Empire Of The Sun

A Perfect Planet: The Sun

Wonders Of The Universe: Messengers

I’d explain religions/mythologies and god as the end of a very long line of story telling that started out with early homosapiens looking up at the sky and the world around them and seeing how the Sun changed, affected and provided for all the animals including us. How the Sun was deified and then how other celestial entities joined the Sun in stories with gods or personifications attached to them. Over time, these stories became widespread, over more time these widespread stories, the deities and personifications, stories of natural events and disasters that happened in the world all became what we see as the stories on the books of religions/mythologies.

Some other good programmes are:

Operation Stonehenge: What Lies Beneath

Stonehenge And Archeoastronomy

They show how, from much further back in time than the times of the Torah/Bible/Quran, humans have been making a big deal about the Sun and the other celestial objects in the sky and the seasons. Holidays/festivals that we still have today (that the Christian church changed all their holidays/festivals to line-up with) are all to do with the different points in the sky at different times of the year of the Sun and the stars/constellations.

Understand that religions/mythologies are not real stories, the people in them are not real, the prophets and angels and demons are not real, heaven is. It real, the deity in them is not real. They are fictions, and the root of it all is scientific.
The wonders of the universe would be a better mandatory syllabus lesson than R.E in every school on the planet

I’ve considered this dilemma myself. Do I encourage my atheist stance, or allow them to make their own decisions.
But then their decision will obviously influenced somewhere.

I’ve picked a school with no visible or obvious religious leanings.

If I encountered the issue you’re facing, i’d be telling them, or opening them up to all mythology and religious teachings.
I’d personally offer them all the info on mythology and religious I could then tell them of my personal beliefs.

God created the earth the moon and the stars, if he truly wanted our children to believe in him he would not have chosen some soppy fucker that got bullied at school to read out inspiring psalms, he would turn the school bully into five foot six inches of Sifta salt and give the headmaster a forehead vagina

Tell children the truth, the universe is 14 billion years old, the earth 4.5, gravity and accretion, formed stars from hydrogen and helium, when stars lose their equilibrium they collapse producing incredible pressure heavy elements like gold, diamonds, carbon flung out into the universe carbon being one of the building blocks of life on earth, tell them they are quite literally stardust. Only joking, of course trying to explain this to young children is impossible, but there is no excuse for adults.

If I was explaining religion/mythologies to a child; if they are old enough, or once they are, I’d show them some of the following programmes:

Universe: God Star (The Sun)

Wonders Of The Solar System: Empire Of The Sun

A Perfect Planet: The Sun

Wonders Of The Universe: Messengers

I’d explain religions/mythologies and god as the end of a very long line of story telling that started out with early homosapiens looking up at the sky and the world around them and seeing how the Sun changed, affected and provided for all the animals including us. How the Sun was deified and then how other celestial entities joined the Sun in stories with gods or personifications attached to them. Over time, these stories became widespread, over more time these widespread stories, the deities and personifications, stories of natural events and disasters that happened in the world all became what we see as the stories on the books of religions/mythologies.

Some other good programmes are:

Operation Stonehenge: What Lies Beneath

Stonehenge And Archeoastronomy

They show how, from much further back in time than the times of the Torah/Bible/Quran, humans have been making a big deal about the Sun and the other celestial objects in the sky and the seasons. Holidays/festivals that we still have today (that the Christian church changed all their holidays/festivals to line-up with) are all to do with the different points in the sky at different times of the year of the Sun and the stars/constellations.

Understand that religions/mythologies are not real stories, the people in them are not real, the prophets and angels and demons are not real, heaven is. It real, the deity in them is not real. They are fictions, and the root of it all is scientific.
Fuck that, much easier to just trot out the two fairy stories that end in Xmas presents or Easter eggs. Having said that, you could add another sentence to yours

'and that is why you won't be getting any silly chocolate eggs or presents'

Should save you a few quid.

Fuck that, much easier to just trot out the two fairy stories that end in Xmas presents or Easter eggs. Having said that, you could add another sentence to yours

'and that is why you won't be getting any silly chocolate eggs or presents'

Should save you a few quid.

Could become a Jehovah's Witness and save yourself from giving out birthday presents as well.

Tell children the truth, the universe is 14 billion years old, the earth 4.5, gravity and accretion, formed stars from hydrogen and helium, when stars lose their equilibrium they collapse producing incredible pressure heavy elements like gold, diamonds, carbon flung out into the universe carbon being one of the building blocks of life on earth, tell them they are quite literally stardust. Only joking, of course trying to explain this to young children is impossible, but there is no excuse for adults.
I'd say to her, some adults believe in God and some don't.
Of course, I will take you to church, and you can see what goes on and eventually make your own mind up. I don't believe in God, but your auntie ??? does.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.