Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2014/15 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini (2014/15)

Damocles said:
richards30 said:
Huge day for manuel today and a bad or heavy defeat should spell the end asap.

First time I've said this about a City manager since probably Pearce, but you're dead on.

I don't think Manuel Pellegrini is a bad manager, in fact I think he's a very talented manager with the ability to play highly entertaining and successful football. My problem is that it would have shown that he is unable to arrest this slide that we're in. Not that we should sack a manager whenever we go into a slide obviously, but the thought of losing top four this season is absolutely unthinkable in terms of what it will do to our FFP position and ability to perform again in the future.

If he cannot turn this around then he has to go and we need to rely on the new manager bounce and a reshuffle of the deck to limp over the line.

Again, it isn't a personal thing but just a fact that dropping out of the top four is more important than any player or manager that City have and must not be allowed to happen. People look at that 5 point gap to Southampton and aren't particularly worried. Perhaps they have forgotten that we have to play them again this season? And we have to go to Spurs. Then our generally unmotivated team that is just seeing the rest of the season out also have to play against two relegation strugglers who will be right up for it in Villa and QPR.

If he loses today, I fully expect him to be gone and Vieira in place before West Ham next Sunday

Agree with that. If United do to us, what we did to them last season, and embarrass us, then it will represent such a slide that I don't think the owners would accept.
We have arrested the power from United, and whilst it isn't a City v United thing all the time, it happens to be the rivalry and the power shift that represents our rise to power the most.

Given current form you would expect United to win: the game represents much more than that though if it's a heavy defeat.

beast said:
Ray78 said:
Rijkaard's fate was sealed after 4-1 defeat against Real Madrid (3 games to go) but Barcelona didn't sack him until the end of the season. Even if we suffer that type of result, we still have six games left and there is also no guarantees Vieira can put that right either.
Were they staring down the barrel of missing out on CL football?
I think we are at the moment.

They were only 3 points off from dropping into the Uefa Cup that season.

FantasyIreland said:
Obviously the boss likes his job!
Don't get too excited .
He should have done this in the last few matches away .

FantasyIreland said:
kalouk said:
I have to disagree, there is every chance he could turn this round so if we do sack him we have done so because we got jittery. We are going to be going through managers at a rate of knots if we do this. We have to stand behind a manager and hold our nerve at some point. There are no guarantees with either option but sacking the manager at this point and hoping we get a bounce is a dangerous road to go down imo. It's rash and I don't believe these sort of decisions should be made at a time when people are panicking.

Where's the evidence for him turning it around? he continues to play square pegs.

Who's panicking? this has been a chronic demise,nothing at all sudden.

If he picks a team today that gives us the best chance of a result,one which every other man and his dog would choose.......and shows us that his approach might change in the last few games and that he will adapt accordingly....... then,I agree,it would be unwise to remove him - I wont be holding my breath though.

I can't see into the future but this team can and has played his way well. It can do it again. There is also no evidence that we will suddenly improve under a new manager rushed it at this point of the season either.
Three months ago we were joint top with Chelsea not many people were calling for his head then. Now after a dodgy few months people want him sacked. It sounds rash to me especially when things can be turned round. What would your verdict be if he chooses a team you don't agree with and we win today?

Edit. Just seen the team sheet, he's trying to get in your good books ;)

kalouk said:
What would your verdict be if he chooses a team you don't agree with and we win today?

He hasn't,i'm far more confident we will.

As my post suggested,he has obviously responded positively and accordingly,consequently I have hope he will do so for the rest of the season.

No complaints with players Pellegrini has selected but I hope the formation is a 4-2-3-1, with both Silva and Yaya starting a bit deeper i.e. I want Silva to actually be in midfield and not there as a second striker.

You are suggesting he may be thinking of playing Silva in a 4-4-2, with Bony injured and Dzeko out of form?

This place would explode......

OB1 said:
No complaints with players Pellegrini has selected but I hope the formation is a 4-2-3-1, with both Silva and Yaya starting a bit deeper i.e. I want Silva to actually be in midfield and not there as a second striker.

halfcenturyup said:
You are suggesting he may be thinking of playing Silva in a 4-4-2, with Bony injured and Dzeko out of form?

This place would explode......

OB1 said:
That has been the setup in the past with this player selection. Silva playing off Aguero with Milner on the left wing and Navas on the right.

OB1 said:
FantasyIreland said:
spanishblue said:
If he goes two up front today I will disagree

I disagree already.

Its all well and good calling LVG an imposter....but my design or by chance,he has his team playing a system suits their strengths.Pellegrini continues to handicap us by doing the exact opposite.

I don't want to praise anyone connected with the Rags but LVG is no mug and too many City supporters dismissed him too easily.

In the main, I think Pellers is actually trying to play to the team's strengths but it has not worked for him and some variation in approach might have brought greater reward.

He's got the team selection bang on for me today (at last)! Hope Silva's not shoved too far forward. I want us to dominate that midfield today and keep their team of gangly bastards away from our box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.