Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mancini's squad?

I keep hearing this and after the constant moaning that Mancini never got to buy the players he wanted and it ultimately being one of the reasons he lost his job, its now become and established fact on here that whatever Pellegrini has achieved has only been because of Mancini's squad.

Both Bob and now Pellegrini have not had the luxury of picking their own players as we dont work like that as a club.

I suspect that will change when Pep arrives but for now, they don't get to pick and choose.
Mancini actually wanted Sinclair, Garcia and Rodwell did he? Funny I recall his press conference where he mentioned RVP and expressed his interest in Hazard and Martinez but got lumbered with the aforementioned plus Maicon and Nastasic and fell out with Marwood over it.

Why would a manager who brought Silva, Toure and Aguero to City want to follow up a title winning season by buying any of the other lot? Sorry, but those type of players just weren't Mancini's MO.

If we play Sterling as a number 10 for the rest of the season they we cruise to the league title.

Sterling's pace and movement is superb and he would offer us directness alongside Kun.

I'm a huge David Silva fan but playing him in the number 10 role with Yaya and Fernandinho in the middle isn't cutting it.

Yaya and Silva both like to dictate play from behind the ball. Fernandinho strictly has to stay back to cover Yaya's weaknesses which means we have very little central attacking options.

I've lost count the amount of times a ball comes into the box and no one is there or Kun is isolated.

Move Silva out wide and let him drift in. In fact his game is more suited to letting Kolarov overlap than Sterling. In addition, Silva will naturally have more space being out wide as well.

A more obvious solution would be to have Yaya as the DM as his legs are clearly not what they were a few years back and let Fernandinho move up. However this ain't going to happen.

Your first sentence is just speculative nonsense.

Secondly, if we play Silva wide, we know doesn't provide the best cover for the RB, so we then stifle that element of our side.

For me, Sterling has a long way to go to push David from the #10 spot.

All opinions though

Mancini actually wanted Sinclair, Garcia and Rodwell did he? Funny I recall his press conference where he mentioned RVP and expressed his interest in Hazard and Martinez but got lumbered with the aforementioned plus Maicon and Nastasic and fell out with Marwood over it.

Why would a manager who brought Silva, Toure and Aguero to City want to follow up a title winning season by buying any of the other lot? Sorry, but those type of players just weren't Mancini's MO.

He wouldn't which is what i have just said.

Bob never got his squad and neither has Pellegrini as we dont work like that as a club but given that, isnt it a little unfair to claim anything Pellegrini has won is only because he has Mancini's squad?

Bob never got his squad and neither has Pellegrini as we dont work like that as a club but given that, isnt it a little unfair to claim anything Pellegrini has won is only because he has Mancini's squad?

Mancini did the hard work no matter which way you want to look at. Took over a side that had no winning mentality and built that into them. Had to build a premier league winning side. Had all of the expectations on his shoulders promising to tear down 'that banner' which he did. He competed against the best premier league manager on record to win the title. Now except for being polite to the players and the tea lady what else had Pellers to do? Build on what Mancini had built which at the of season we will have our answer.

Plus how much has been spent on the current side?

The plain truth is that every manager has elements of their predecessors squads just the same as Mancini had Kompany, Zabaleta, De Jong, Barry etc who went on to become part of the core of our title winning squad.

When posters mention the same regarding Manuel the uneasy truth for some was that it essentially was Mancini's team, as Manuel was never going to be allowed to sell the lot and start from scratch which would have been madness in any case. What is interesting is that Hart, kompany, Yaya, Silva and Aguero continue to be the beating heart of this team and the players we mostly rely on.

4 seasons on, it doesn't say a lot for our recruitment policy since Mancini's last real window in summer 2011 does it?

Mancini's squad?

I keep hearing this and after the constant moaning that Mancini never got to buy the players he wanted and it ultimately being one of the reasons he lost his job, its now become and established fact on here that whatever Pellegrini has achieved has only been because of Mancini's squad.

Both Bob and now Pellegrini have not had the luxury of picking their own players as we dont work like that as a club.

I suspect that will change when Pep arrives but for now, they dont get to pick and choose.
But the core of the team is mancini's, or to take your point assembled by City whilst mancini was coach and the hallmark of Pellegrini is just to go on and on with what worked.

Initially that was to be praised. if it isn't broke don't fix it. But as the team has aged and as injuries inevitably disrupt a campaign, he carries on patching up the old dog. It's reached the end of its life. Maybe at the end of his managerial life at City he doesn't think he should start to rebuild a team for the next man. That's the only excuse I can give him.

There are loads of examples (Sagna could be the 3rd option at centre-back instead of Demichelis). Roberts and Iheanacho.

The plain truth is that every manager has elements of their predecessors squads just the same as Mancini had Kompany, Zabaleta, De Jong, Barry etc who went on to become part of the core of our title winning squad.

When posters mention the same regarding Manuel the uneasy truth for some was that it essentially was Mancini's team, as Manuel was never going to be allowed to sell the lot and start from scratch which would have been madness in any case. What is interesting is that Hart, kompany, Yaya, Silva and Aguero continue to be the beating heart of this team and the players we mostly rely on.

4 seasons on, it doesn't say a lot for our recruitment policy since Mancini's last real window in summer 2011 does it?
if Pellegrini was a stop-gap then it was a perfect appointment, but as a manager in his own right. No. He had the opprotunity to re-build but he just tries to extend the shelf-life of the old team he inherited.

The obvious solution at the outset, but you can't keep doing that.

Perhaps his brief was to take a caretaker role. Perhaps if he was the man for the future he would be more pro-active in his management.

The players who have come in are quality, but it requires a re-engineering of the old team. Something Pellegrini doesn't want to do.
Who, Bony, Mangala, Fernando, Navas? TBF all four have become whipping boys for many fans, but I've seen enough in all of them to know that they all just need that extra care and attention to their craft which a good coach should be able to nurture out of them.

None of the aforementioned have consistently hit the heights as we'd hoped, but maybe another coach can prove whether they are worth persevering with or not.

I can't stop thinking that if Bony were healthy on Wednesday he'd have come off the bench. But Iheanacho either gets three minutes or doesn't play at all in league matches and I don't understand why. MP will play a poor option over a good option based solely on size of their transfer fee.

Who, Bony, Mangala, Fernando, Navas? TBF all four have become whipping boys for many fans, but I've seen enough in all of them to know that they all just need that extra care and attention to their craft which a good coach should be able to nurture out of them.

None of the aforementioned have consistently hit the heights as we'd hoped, but maybe another coach can prove whether they are worth persevering with or not.

They're just not as good as players we've had recently in those positions. Tevez, Barry and Bellamy were better players, and we've spent a fortune trying to find a decent central defender to partner Komps and still not found one. Savic, Nasty, Ota, Mangala - for what we've spent there we should have just bid a huge fuck off unrefusable sum for one of Thiago Silva, Pique or Terry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.