Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give Pellegrini a fully fit squad and he wins games, lots of them. I can't remember the last time we had a full squad to choose from.

Silva, Kompany & Aguero have been missing for huge chunks of the season. Nasri & Bony who back up Silva & Sergio, neither have been fully fit and have been injured far too often. Zabaleta and Clichy have missed 99% of the season. Delph who is essential to allow us to rotate in midfield.

Pellegrini seems to know how to win with his best team or close to it. I'm a huge fan, but I don't think he's that great at thinking outside the box.

As for Pellegrini, we looked unplayable for the first month, still the fans wanted De Bruyne in for Navas, Wanted Kolarov out and longed for Zabaleta back. Ignoring the actual form of the players and team.

Fans critisise the manager when they don't do what they like. Not one fan would pick

...........Hart.........
Sagna.VK.Mangala.AK
..Ya Ya....Fernandinho
Navas...Silva...Sterling.
........Aguero...........

Yet, we looked unplayable. We dominated in Seville many said it was our best European performance, post match some fans were slagging him. Then after the match, it was all about how to fit Silva in. I think Silva is arguably the Prem's best ever player. But certainly won't fit into a sit deep and break quick. Yet the fans want him in.

Pellegrini, pretty much manages like a fan, he wants the best players on the pitch even if it doesn't always benefit the team. I personally am a fan. His style will cost us now and then, but it will be entertaining.

I will be interested to see what happens after the shambles of Saturday, old Manuel really was annoyed.

I personally would just love a month/6 weeks of a full strength squad, we'd open up a decent gap then.

Pellegrini didn't pick that lineup in Seville. It would most likely have been overrun in midfield.

Most people's argument against Pellegrini is when he picks Yata+1 in centre mid against a decent team. The other selections are open to debate, but the next one would almost certainly be selecting Demichelis for any game. Doing both v Liverpool is sackable imo & has probably actually sacked him long term if he wasn't already.

Imo if there was any chance of us trusting him long term, he's just blown it. They will now be 100% looking for a replacement Pep or no Pep.

He's been here two years and was given a new contract in the summer. So it stands to reason that the club, the owners, know what his system and methods are and are comfortable with them. Frustrating as that is for many on here.
He's been here two years and was given a new contract in the summer. So it stands to reason that the club, the owners, know what his system and methods are and are comfortable with them. Frustrating as that is for many on here.

Frustrating isn't the word mate, I'm telling you now if you were there on Saturday you would have gone up like a fucking standard firework, it was that bad-he frustrates the fuck out of you, he has them purring against Sevilla and then there was Saturday-he's Jekyll & Hyde, I bet the players have no fucking idea what he's going to do next.

For me mate it was the straw that broke the camels back on Saturday, never ever seen a manager get it so drastically wrong before in both formation and team selection, as I've said previously to a man people were telling him to sort it out after 10 minutes of play-Klopp must have though Christmas had come early.

He's off his tits mate he really is.

Frustrating isn't the word mate, I'm telling you now if you were there on Saturday you would have gone up like a fucking standard firework, it was that bad-he frustrates the fuck out of you, he has them purring against Sevilla and then there was Saturday-he's Jekyll & Hyde, I bet the players have no fucking idea what he's going to do next.

For me mate it was the straw that broke the camels back on Saturday, never ever seen a manager get it so drastically wrong before in both formation and team selection, as I've said previously to a man people were telling him to sort it out after 10 minutes of play-Klopp must have though Christmas had come early.

He's off his tits mate he really is.

In my 20 years or so of watching City regularly I've not encountered a manager who doesn't make me go up like a firework and I did on Saturday.

But I like Pellegrini and think he is a dignified man who is misunderstood by a lot of people. Both in his manner and in his "system".

No matter how much he infuriates me when I read some of the crass shit that some people post on here and on social media I can't help but think he deserves better and more support. Certainly at least similar support to Mancini. But we both know that isn't ever happening as Pellegrini won't play to the gallery.

Pellegrini didn't pick that lineup in Seville. It would most likely have been overrun in midfield.

Most people's argument against Pellegrini is when he picks Yata+1 in centre mid against a decent team. The other selections are open to debate, but the next one would almost certainly be selecting Demichelis for any game. Doing both v Liverpool is sackable imo & has probably actually sacked him long term if he wasn't already.

Imo if there was any chance of us trusting him long term, he's just blown it. They will now be 100% looking for a replacement Pep or no Pep.
It's too soon in this season to say. We could well end up winning everything domestically.

Much depends not on Pellegrini but on the injury situation. When City are at full strength and confident, we win games and Pellegrini becomes a great manager. When our best players are out, we struggle.

Most people think Pellegrini got his team selection wrong against Liverpool and I agree with that.

Is for example Mourinho a bad manager? You might not like him, but I think most people would accept he is a good coach. 12 months ago Klopp's team were in the relegation one in the Bunesliga. Now he's regarded as a Scouse messiah. Managers aren't all powerful

Based on the end of last season, I don't think City's owner is as hands on as someone like Abramovic.

In my 20 years or so of watching City regularly I've not encountered a manager who doesn't make me go up like a firework and I did on Saturday.

But I like Pellegrini and think he is a dignified man who is misunderstood by a lot of people. Both in his manner and in his "system".

No matter how much he infuriates me when I read some of the crass shit that some people post on here and on social media I can't help but think he deserves better and more support. Certainly at least similar support to Mancini. But we both know that isn't ever happening as Pellegrini won't play to the gallery.

He's an enigma mate, and fair fucks to him for being one.

That's why we have a DOF so spending with Manuel here isn't a problem,the players we buy would be same more or less whoever the manager is, but if we buy a defender and striker who are you selling to keep the squad numbers right ?

I'm sure the manager has some input and the type of player we go for must be influenced by the style of play the manager wants. If I had a magic wand I would give Demi a free and snap the hands off anyone that would give me five mill for Navas. Any decent fee for Nasri would do. If we could get 15 mill for Mangala I'd be back in hand snapping mode but no one would pay that much for him so I expect we are stuck. Given the choice and a decent fee I'd replace Bony with someone less fragile but he might come good.

We can free up two or three squad places if we tried.

Edited to add: I wouldn't turn down any halfway sensible bid for Yaya either. He's been great but now he's a squad player at best. He probably won't settle for that and he's earned the right to move on if that is what he wanted, with our gratitude.

Last edited:
It's too soon in this season to say. We could well end up winning everything domestically.

Much depends not on Pellegrini but on the injury situation. When City are at full strength and confident, we win games and Pellegrini becomes a great manager. When our best players are out, we struggle.

Most people think Pellegrini got his team selection wrong against Liverpool and I agree with that.

Is for example Mourinho a bad manager? You might not like him, but I think most people would accept he is a good coach. 12 months ago Klopp's team were in the relegation one in the Bunesliga. Now he's regarded as a Scouse messiah. Managers aren't all powerful

Based on the end of last season, I don't think City's owner is as hands on as someone like Abramovic.

Having players out injured doesn't mean he has to play the footballing equivalent of hari kari because of it, he could have played three in midfield at the expense of a winger against Liverpool, he should have played Otimendi instead of the baby elephant running around looking for its mother, the list is endless.

Every team has injuries, Liverpool had 10 for fucks sake.

So maybe if the fans got behind the players whoever they are we might not have gotten beat. Too much negativity at games I think.
I knew this would end up being my fault. :) I do agree to some extent, that sometimes the crowd aren't helpful at City. I think Bony has been a case in point this season. Decent premier league striker, looking short on confidence after a difficult start with us. If he doesn't produce perfection every time he touches the ball, people around me seem to be moaning and groaning and getting on his case. Clearly that doesn't help him at all and it would be in everyone's interest to give him a break. None of this however, comes even close to being the explanation for what happened on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.