Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've picked a few games there in isolation for Silva, there's an argument he at his most prolific centrally, tbh mate hes fucking good everywhere!

Not really - in the four years or so that he's been at the club he's probably played as a pure number 10 no more than a handful of times - that's with two different managers. He also previous to that rarely played as a pure number 10 for Valencia as far as I recall. Same for Spain. So i'd guess that his best position is playing from wide but drifting inside.

Not really - in the four years or so that he's been at the club he's probably played as a pure number 10 no more than a handful of times - that's with two different managers. He also previous to that rarely played as a pure number 10 for Valencia as far as I recall. Same for Spain. So i'd guess that his best position is playing from wide but drifting inside.

Again, playing him on the left or right flank increases his work load defensively , centrally he isn't as exposed as much to defensive responsibilities , I'd expect if Pep comes in you will see him in the number 10 role, in fact if KDB joins you will see him nail down that position permanently.

decent article

http://thinkfootball.co.uk/tactical-analysis-where-is-david-silvas-best-position/

Again, playing him on the left or right flank increases his work load defensively , centrally he isn't as exposed as much to defensive responsibilities , I'd expect if Pep comes in you will see him in the number 10 role, in fact if KDB joins you will see him nail down that position permanently.

decent article

http://thinkfootball.co.uk/tactical-analysis-where-is-david-silvas-best-position/

Cheers I'd not seen that before. I agree about defensive responsibilities when he's played centrally, but then our problem has been a midfield which is too easily by passed. Putting Silva into the middle won't help that, it'll exacerbate it IMO. We need a 3 in the middle who are physically as well as technically strong enough. For me 4231 isn't going to get used as much as 433 to ensure we have more presence in the middle of the park.

Cheers I'd not seen that before. I agree about defensive responsibilities when he's played centrally, but then our problem has been a midfield which is too easily by passed. Putting Silva into the middle won't help that, it'll exacerbate it IMO. We need a 3 in the middle who are physically as well as technically strong enough. For me 4231 isn't going to get used as much as 433 to ensure we have more presence in the middle of the park.

Dare i say it but the player who puts a spanner in the works more than anybody defensively is Yaya, the blokes an enigma, certainly in a spell towards last season when we dropped the points that mattered there seemed to be a lack of willingness and squabbling between players to carry the water so to speak.As a side note if we want to prolong the life of the best player arguably to pull on a City shirt then a shift centrally permanently is a must.

Dare i say it but the player who puts a spanner in the works more than anybody defensively is Yaya, the blokes an enigma, certainly in a spell towards last season when we dropped the points that mattered there seemed to be a lack of willingness and squabbling between players to carry the water so to speak.As a side note if e want to prolong the life of the best player arguably to pull on a City shirt then a shift centrally permanently is a must.

I think that's exactly what's happening. We are going to play 433 to accommodate/protect Toure much more in the upcoming season. I also think that if you look at where the league was lost, it was lost while Toure was away at the AFCON. So for all the hand wringing about how he can't play in a 442, our results suffered while he was away and this was central to us throwing away the position we were in on the 1st January.

I see your logic with our existing squad, but where does De Bruyne fit here? I think it's safe to make the assumption that we want him.

If he signs for £40m+, he'll play. As will Sterling. As will Silva, and Aguero. How does that fit with a 4-3-3? Sterling will play wide left. So who is in the middle 3?

De Bruyne? From what I've seen, his best work comes from out wide; he's direct, not a very technical and possession-based player like Nasri. I don't think we'd see the best of him in a central role.

Ditto Silva. We all know that he's at his best in a free role drifting between the lines, rather than sitting deeper in a middle 3.

I like your 4-3-3 with our existing squad, but if De Bruyne does come, I can't see past 4-2-3-1 (with Silva as a no. 10 and De Bruyne on the right) as being the system that gets the best out of those players.

I agree with this all day long, we're both thinking the same

We'll probably go with 4-3-3 but i don't agree it's our best formation with the players we've got but that's my opinion and only time will tell

If the 4-3-3 works then obviously I'm fine with it but Merlin is incredible in the no.10 role so I would hate to see us put him out wide. If KDB comes then hopefully that means Dave goes back to behind the striker. Personally I think the reason for 4-3-3 is Toure. Using Fernando or Dinho as a holding mid makes more sense than to have them play centrally with Toure, just hope this decision doesn't come back to bite us as 4-2-3-1 clearly suits our side very well.

http://eplindex.com/68058/vincent-kompany-season-off-past-prime.html

My apologies if this link has already been posted. But stats here show that kompanys performance last year was better than when we won the prem. Refers to a lack of cover centrally as the problem and mainly from Yaya.

Except when Yaya was away at AFCON our defence didn't exactly improve though did it? Our best defensive performances were at the end of the year with Mangala and MD and Yaya in midfield but without Kompany.

Regardless of what the stats say, Kompany was well below par last season as pretty much everyone has pointed out and he has admitted as much himself.

He's just been on Sky Sports holding his hands up to making mistakes last year, his quote was:

"Last season we failed, I say that we failed, but also I failed"

The first stage of rectifying a problem is to admit you have a problem in the first place. He's shown great class and humility by recognising his mistakes. If only his most vocal supporters on here would follow suit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.