Disillusioned with Football £££

MarcIsTired1986

Is anybody else feeling completely disillusioned with the way football is at the moment?

If I'm honest, it isn't going to stop me watching it, or being a fan - but I think the money involved is just totally unacceptable. Especially when you consider what is happening in the real-world that we all live in (mortgages/rent shooting up, people can't afford food or heating, people living on the street).

The money footballers receive has been daft for a long time. £10,000 a week, then turned into £100,000 a week, which has then turned into £200,000 - £300,000 a week becoming the norm for a top players salary (this is before their contracts with Nike/Adidas etc). But now (though he is unlikely to go there) Mbappe has been offered £1.9m A DAY, to go and play in Saudi Arabia! £58m a month! It is just not right, and they shouldn't be allowed to even offer it. If the Saudi's have that sort of money available to just give away, why aren't they doing something good with it in the world!? Instead of giving it a footballer. All they are paying for is his name and image - at £1.9m a day, where is the incentive for him to actually play well?

Transfer fees don't bother me too much (though they are ridiculous too) but at least they stay in the football system for a while and the money gets passed down to the lower leagues eventually. But, I guess it still ends up in the players pockets in the end!

I went to watch Manchester Giants Basketball last year, and couldn't believe how good the players were after the game. Kids were allowed onto the court to have their photo taken with the players - who were more than happy to hang around and do so. In football, the players are ushered off by Security and you have to hang around for 1-2 hours after a game if you wanted to see them, and even then there is a barrier and security - and the best you can do is wave at them.

I even had to unfollow all the City players on Instagram over the last few weeks as I couldn't bear to look at the photos and videos they posted of them hiring luxury yachts for a week, or staying in huge Villas without a care in the world for how much it actually costs - whilst I'm sat at home getting anxious about my mortgage going up a few hundred quid a month.

I know I'm ranting - and I completely appreciate that for them to earn this amount of money they also have to train and work very hard, and accept being scrutinised by thousands of people every week, and have very little privacy when they step out of their house etc. But, I still don't think this warrants the amount of money they receive.

I'm also probably jealous, and obviously wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me - but I would certainly give away/do some good with a large part of it, because lets be honest, who really needs that much money per week? I'd give my right bollock to get £100k a year!

No we've just won the treble Im pretty much the opposite of disillusioned. I do think some of the money involved is getting quite eye watering but at the end of the day thats just how the world goes. In my opinion a football player who entertains thousands with their skill and ability is much more deserving of the wage than some twat Chief executive who pays all his employees a pittance while taking 7 figure bonuses.

Inequality is rife nowadays I agree but football players aren't the bad guys. Its probably one of the few professions where a young working class lad can elevate themselves and their family into the top earners of the country.

If Saudi Arabia weren't wasting a billion on M'bappe they would probably be spending it on bombs to drop on Yemeni kids anyway.

Is anybody else feeling completely disillusioned with the way football is at the moment?

If I'm honest, it isn't going to stop me watching it, or being a fan - but I think the money involved is just totally unacceptable. Especially when you consider what is happening in the real-world that we all live in (mortgages/rent shooting up, people can't afford food or heating, people living on the street).

The money footballers receive has been daft for a long time. £10,000 a week, then turned into £100,000 a week, which has then turned into £200,000 - £300,000 a week becoming the norm for a top players salary (this is before their contracts with Nike/Adidas etc). But now (though he is unlikely to go there) Mbappe has been offered £1.9m A DAY, to go and play in Saudi Arabia! £58m a month! It is just not right, and they shouldn't be allowed to even offer it. If the Saudi's have that sort of money available to just give away, why aren't they doing something good with it in the world!? Instead of giving it a footballer. All they are paying for is his name and image - at £1.9m a day, where is the incentive for him to actually play well?

Transfer fees don't bother me too much (though they are ridiculous too) but at least they stay in the football system for a while and the money gets passed down to the lower leagues eventually. But, I guess it still ends up in the players pockets in the end!

I went to watch Manchester Giants Basketball last year, and couldn't believe how good the players were after the game. Kids were allowed onto the court to have their photo taken with the players - who were more than happy to hang around and do so. In football, the players are ushered off by Security and you have to hang around for 1-2 hours after a game if you wanted to see them, and even then there is a barrier and security - and the best you can do is wave at them.

I even had to unfollow all the City players on Instagram over the last few weeks as I couldn't bear to look at the photos and videos they posted of them hiring luxury yachts for a week, or staying in huge Villas without a care in the world for how much it actually costs - whilst I'm sat at home getting anxious about my mortgage going up a few hundred quid a month.

I know I'm ranting - and I completely appreciate that for them to earn this amount of money they also have to train and work very hard, and accept being scrutinised by thousands of people every week, and have very little privacy when they step out of their house etc. But, I still don't think this warrants the amount of money they receive.

I'm also probably jealous, and obviously wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me - but I would certainly give away/do some good with a large part of it, because lets be honest, who really needs that much money per week? I'd give my right bollock to get £100k a year!
Rag

Nope.

Once upon a time we didn't have a pot to piss in and were shit.

Now we are rich, best manager, best team a ground that will soon be even better than now and a future that looks as bright as something bright that has just won a what's the most bright thing competition.
And we all lived happily ever after.

The end.

p.s. nytid are fucking shit, this is true I heard it at Wembley, also SCUM.

Isn’t the amount of money they receive a function of the amount of people they bring pleasure to? In terms of the 8 billion people on the planet, I’m guessing elite footy does that to quite a high proportion. I always think of it in comparison to what someone like Tom Cruise would get paid for 3 months making a film. In that context it might feel wrong, but it’s proportionate (maybe).

I also think in this country we are a nation of watchers rather than doers in some ways, which explains why Sky has been - in the past - able to keep ratcheting up the value of their tv contracts and passing it on the subscribers.

As for other sports, I wholeheartedly agree; there’s life beyond football for sure - I only follow the sport at all because of City, and in many ways prefer athletics, cycling, rugby, cricket etc etc.

Anyway, one of the beauties of the forum is the ability to have a therapeutic rant, so hopefully you feel a bit better after that!

It’s not my money.

I get what you are saying and it is sometimes hard to relate the present to the stories from the likes of Paul Moulden and other youth team players of that era about how little they were offered by the club.
The gap between the rich and the poor is getting pretty obscene - anyone who does an honest weeks work should be able to live comfortably which is not currently the case. It would be great if wealth could be shared more fairly but I cannot see any way that could happen.
As was said above at least the top footballers have a skill to justify the pay unlike many of the rich elite.

Absolutely. And I'm worried about where it is going.

Nope.

Once upon a time we didn't have a pot to piss in and were shit.

Now we are rich, best manager, best team a ground that will soon be even better than now and a future that looks as bright as something bright that has just won a what's the most bright thing competition.
And we all lived happily ever after.

The end.

p.s. nytid are fucking shit, this is true I heard it at Wembley, also SCUM.

I think you're missing the point.

Market economics. If people will pay, then that’s the right price. What should happen is that the largess needs to be spread around much more to aid lower leagues, grass roots and the community.
Will the regulator persuade/order the PL to make a much bigger contribution to others?
I have seen fans of other clubs poo-poohing City in the Community but that effort seems pretty good really. East Manchester being slowly transformed by CFG/AbuDhabi investment. More needed elsewhere?
Dont forget that on the pitch football is a lot better than the bad old days. Stadiums modernised or rebuilt. So not all is bad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.