Disproving Christianity?

ElanJo said:
Ronnie the Rep said:
Does this apply to all Gods or are you too afraid to diss Allah?

lol I'm just more familiar with the claims of Christians than I am of Muslims

and I don't want to be blown up :P

Sure it's not just cos it's seen a fair game and totally ok to have a pop at Christianity and our beliefs, but un PC and ''racist'' to have a go at muslims....?

ElanJo said:
So the "what opinions do you have that people love to hate" thread got me thinking again about religion (yes, yes I know that a good portion of the threads I start are religion centric) and the whole debate as to whether a God can be disproved. So here's a little effort of mine to disprove the Christians one.
The Christian God is a dictator. However, it is possible to have a somewhat loving or benign dictatorship. A classroom is one, a parent - child relationship is another.
According to Christian doctrine God is an all loving dictator.

I beg to differ.

1. He creates us (limited as we are)
2. He wants us to a)acknowledge him and b) to accept and worship him
i) If you do a) and b) you will be rewarded.
ii) If you do not do a) and b) you will be sent to Hell (or in a state of Hell - either way, it's everlasting torment)
3. To be able to do b) you must first do a)
4. God hides himself from us and gives no reason whatsoever to believe this scripture( in this case the Bible) over another. ***
5. It's already established that the Christian God is a dictator
6. Thus the Christian God is fictitious or, at the very least, evil (ie. a bad dictator/tyrant)

*** I sense an objection here so i will preempt it. If he revealed himself to us in some way as to make it pretty obvious that he existed this would not impede on our Free Will. We'd still have choice whether to follow him or not.

Is this line of thinking justified or not? If not, why not?

I tend to agree with the thrust of your arguement if you are prepared you use Christianity's own spurious rational against itself, however, Christianity's (and all other creationalist religions) arguements are all based in ignorance, stupidity or insanity and so in using their own arguements against them gives their arguements unjustified credence.

I have spent years learning history, physics, biology, and sciences in general and many other subjects and I have learnt something about standards of argument, standards of proof and standards of logic etc and it seems to me that these standards simply don't apply to religious matters. What continues to impress upon me is that the arguements for religious ideas seem so feeble and silly compared to the robust agruements of, say for example, science. In fact they seem embarrassingly childish.

However, I dispute the mentioned doctrine that the Christian God is all loving. In fact he is rather unpleasant. He is jealous and proud of it, an unforgiving control freak, he's vindictive, bloodthirsty, racist, homophobic, genocidal, meglomanical, cruel, unjust and a plain nasty bully. I am only taking these things from their own guide book ie the bible.

My hero Charles Darwin 150 years ago gave us an alternative explaination as to why and how were are here. For me there is no need to resort to the arguements of ignorance

ElanJo said:
So the "what opinions do you have that people love to hate" thread got me thinking again about religion (yes, yes I know that a good portion of the threads I start are religion centric) and the whole debate as to whether a God can be disproved. So here's a little effort of mine to disprove the Christians one.
The Christian God is a dictator. However, it is possible to have a somewhat loving or benign dictatorship. A classroom is one, a parent - child relationship is another.

I beg to differ.

ii) If you do not do a) and b) you will be sent to Hell (or in a state of Hell - either way, it's everlasting torment)
4. God hides himself from us and gives no reason whatsoever to believe this scripture( in this case the Bible) over another. ***
6. Thus the Christian God is fictitious or, at the very least, evil (ie. a bad dictator/tyrant)

*** I sense an objection here so i will preempt it. If he revealed himself to us in some way as to make it pretty obvious that he existed this would not impede on our Free Will. We'd still have choice whether to follow him or not.

So God is a dictator, but hides himself from us, and doesn't even exist, but he is evil and he wants us to worship him, even though he doesn't exist?
Have you thought this one through?

I have a particular problem with a number of areas of Christianity and most certainly, Catholicism.

The 'Bible' was written by 'scribes' was it not?
To translate into modern terms, scribes are writers...ergo 'journalists', story-tellers.
Which makes it about as reliable a source of information as the Manchester United Evening News.

gagiesotherhalf said:
I have a particular problem with a number of areas of Christianity and most certainly, Catholicism.

To translate into modern terms, scribes are writers...ergo 'journalists', story-tellers.
Which makes it about as reliable a source of information as the Manchester United Evening News.

John, Paul, Luke & John were actually the first people to report on us signing Robinho

PistonBlue said:
ElanJo said:

I beg to differ.

So God is a dictator, but hides himself from us, and doesn't even exist, but he is evil and he wants us to worship him, even though he doesn't exist?

Maybe God is telling him what to say? ;-)

Well let's see.

Some kid is born to a woman whose husband hasn't apparently shagged her. Three fabulously wealthy kings travel hundreds of miles to pop their head round the stable door to say hello and leave a few pressies.

Kid grows up, can walk on water, turn said water into wine and cure sickness with a touch. Then the Romans top him but he comes back to life and does a runner, appearing to people in dreams.

There aren't many holes in that story then.

PistonBlue said:
ElanJo said:

I beg to differ.

Have the Christians thought the whole concept through? ElanJo seems to be using the same kind of 'logical' arguement that theologicans use (eg Thomas Aquinas) to 'prove' God exists, just that ElanJo seems to have an independant mind and is prepared to question doctrine and use it against itself.
I hope that I am not doing ElanJo a disservice in saying that

gagiesotherhalf said:

This!
Like every religion no one was actually there when it(allegedly) happened.Its like chinese whispers.The bibles,old and new are just a load of stories put together by a bunch of church going nutters years after the events supposedly took place.The fact that there were 100`s of other chapters that were cast aside means the bible itself is as made up as a Dan Brown novel.How anyone of any intelligence can take it seriously is beyond me.
All religion is a joke and a means of controlling the masses..thats all.Its caused more pain and misery than anything else and has been the scourge of mankind.

If there is anything to be said about God and the Devil just look at the amount of deaths.God- millions The Devil-0

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.