Dissolve the British Monarchy: Yes or No?

der-bomber said:
l take your point ,mate, very succinctly put and you do make a very forceful and compelling case......but at the end of the day ,when all's said and done ,they are still fucking French.

Plus, and this is the clincher , anything that might make BillyShears think about moving back to Blighty is a big no-no in my book....

Sad Little Englander.

Yes.

We need to grow up on this one ..

We don't need mummy and daddy

and as for the insult of the title 'Prince of Wales'....don't get me fookin started.. WTF is that greek /German doing anointed to be Prince of a Principality of whom his ansecetors massacred the legitimate rulers.

Fook right off NOW

A bunch of ignorant tax dodging (until they thought their numbers were up) scroungers propping up the class system.

Welsh Republic now
Scottish Republic now

(only 200 years too late, but we've still time to grow up)

Forzacitizens said:
no, there are not many traditions we have left, nor national pride

'National' pride for the English maybe. But England does not = Britain

AlexWilliamsGloves said:
i dont really care...but this is something to consider...from 2006

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/royal-family-cost-62p-per-person-405824.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/th ... 05824.html</a>

The Queen and the Royal Family cost the taxpayer 62p per person per year, Buckingham Palace accounts revealed today.

The total cost of keeping the monarchy in the last financial year rose by 4.2 per cent to £37.4 million, royal accountants said.

The increase was partly due to the cost of extra security vetting at the royal residence in the wake of a national newspaper journalist who managed to get a job as a footman at Buckingham Palace and also several other attempts by the media to gain access.

It was also attributed to freedom of information inquiries and the cost of a number of long-haul overseas visits by members of the Royal Family.

Alan Reid, Keeper of the Privy Purse, said: "Given this is a World Cup year, 62p would buy you a ticket for one minute of England's game against Portugal on Saturday."

Mr Reid also said that more money was needed to maintain the royal palaces.

"If we're going to maintain historic buildings that we're responsible for, we will need more money. We will putting more pressure on the Department for Culture, Media and Sport."

The household receives £15 million annually for running the palaces, but said the figure was set in 1998 and is only reviewed every three years.

Senior officials said they would be asking for £1 million more, plus inflation.

The mausoleum at Windsor was said to be the site most in need of restoration, amounting to £2 million.

A senior aide added of other residences: "There was also asbestos which needs clearing all over and a two-acre lead roof at Windsor Castle which we've been patching that needs work.

"The quadrangle at Buckingham Palace. It needs to be completely cleared up."

He added that the Picture Gallery roof needs to be replaced. The spokesman said: "That will last but we're patching it rather than doing a proper job."

He said they understood the Government's position, but added: "It wouldn't take a huge amount of their budget to put us on a solid footing."

The cost of the Royal Family per person, now at 62p per year, rose from last year when it was calculated at 61p. The cost of royal travel rose by 10 per cent to £5.5 million.

During the year, the Royal Family made 14 journeys on the royal train compared to 19 in 2004/05. They made 48 journeys by scheduled rail.

The annual accounts disclosed that a consultant had been appointed to look at the royal train and that some initial savings had been identified.

Among the journeys detailed in the financial report was a reconnaissance trip by staff from Clarence House for the Prince of Wales's visit to the USA which cost £44,885.

In contrast, a reconnaissance trip by Buckingham Palace staff to Australia and Singapore ahead of the Queen's official visit cost £15,085.

A senior aide at the Palace said: "As far as the Prince of Wales's trip was concerned, it was a very complicated trip. There were a lot of different interests related to the engagement he was carrying out."

The report revealed that over the next five years it would not be possible to carry out significant projects with a construction cost of £800,000 or more due to funding constraints.

It said that this meant the work on the Victoria and Albert Mausoleum would not be included in building plans.

Aides said the site was in the process of being listed as a building at risk by English Heritage.

The Prince of Wales revealed earlier this week how much tax he paid last year, but accountants for the Queen said there were no plans to do the same for the monarch.

One spokesman said: "We take a strong view that the Queen's private finances are, like any other individual, private and she is entitled to have her privacy."

Wel I for one withdraw my 62 pence and suggest that the rest of us mugs do the same.

der-bomber said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
der-bomber said:
Thats a good enough reason to keep the Monarchy......l mean, we don't want to end up like the French do we.... perish the thought....

God forbid,no.
Better weather,better food,better wine,higher standard of living,lower level of unemployment,lower level of crime,more kids in further education,better health service,less congested roads,better rail network?
That would be awful.

l take your point ,mate, very succinctly put and you do make a very forceful and compelling case......but at the end of the day ,when all's said and done ,they are still fucking French.

Plus, and this is the clincher , anything that might make BillyShears think about moving back to Blighty is a big no-no in my book....

My wife is French...you got a problem with that ??

Don't be sad.

dom said:
der-bomber said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
der-bomber said:
Thats a good enough reason to keep the Monarchy......l mean, we don't want to end up like the French do we.... perish the thought....

God forbid,no.
Better weather,better food,better wine,higher standard of living,lower level of unemployment,lower level of crime,more kids in further education,better health service,less congested roads,better rail network?
That would be awful.

My wife is French...you got a problem with that ??

Don't be sad.

owned

I think as people from France (before it was) invaded us and told us what to do, and we have never gained our freedom may as well be French.

stony said:
der-bomber said:
...And the reason there are so many tree-lined Boulevards in Paris is that the German Army likes to march in the shade....

In WW2 more French died fighting for the Germans than against them.

This is the single most stupid innnacurate cooment EVER posted on Blue Moon (and that includes tha shyte that passes for the Transfer Thread) .

Everyone knows that the Vichy regime embraced some collborationist tendencies but the worst crimes they committed were in colluding with the anti semitic purges going on at the time.

The Vichy recruitment to the Nazis was to the eastern front to 'fight international communism'.

This recruitment campaign was a singular failure and most volunteers were treated with so much suspicion by the axis powers that they usually found themselves in menial non combattant roles.

meanwhile the Free French continued to furnsih soldiers and airmen to the Allies' north African Campaign as well as the RAF auxillary in Europe.
(not forgetting the Maquis operating within French territories).

So grow up and thank the lord that we had the English Channel as a natural rampart .. otherwise we'd have been faced with the same horrible sets of choices that the French, Belgians and Dutch were face with.

If you believe the Bayuex tapestry, the Anglo Saxon king Edward the confessor lived most of his latter life in France, due to the vikings taking over large parts of Britain.
He chose his illigitmate son William the bastard (as he was erstwhile known) to succeed him on the throne.
He sent Harold over to tell him. Harold was kidnapped in Picardie, William rescued him and both got on swimmingly for a while, William even knighted him.

Harold returned to England to find the king dead and took it upon himself to be king and reneged on the agreement.

William wasn't having any of it and the rest is history.

So there you go the English king wanted a frenchman to succeed him.

Well that's how it was explained to me when I looked at it last week.

BillyShears said:
der-bomber said:

Sad Little Englander.

Still, nice to know you're always thinking about me. Life must be gripping in whatever seaside shithole you live in...

Some things never change ,poor little Billy always takes the bait and bites, hook line and sinker, oooh look there he is in the Keep net yet again.....

l live in Torquay, you're right its such a shithole that people come here for their holidays, moved down 5 years ago and the novelty of living by the beach and going out to sea in my boat still hasn't worn off yet....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.