Division One Champions 2001/2002

what about gillingham away where benarbia did a sort of back heel flick up to goater who volleyed it in. benarbia my favourite ever player and he was free!

The best season of football I have ever witnessed by any team.

Ali B's backheeled chip that Wanchope volleyed in (even the opposition fans applauded)
Goater's million goals
Berkovic's volley against Ipswitch in the cup
Super Kev's super free kicks
Getting a man sent off every game and still pissing it.
Anyone remember that crazy header Shuker scored in the cup?
Demolishing burnley 5-0 when they were top of the league
Playing 0ne-twos all the way from our box into their net.
Huckerby destroying birmingham on his own (4 goals 2 assists IIRC)
Playing keep-ball for 70 minutes against swindon
Dunnaldinho's back-heeled through ball.
SWP finding his scoring boots
Throwing an 'unknown Algerian trialist' straight into the first XI
The players climbing into the away end to celebrate at millwall
John Macken scoring with his first touch for us.
Having 3 strikers all hit 20+ goals
Pearce's penalty miss

Still watch the video every now and then.

Didsbury Dave said:
Remember us winning 2 or even 3 games where we had 10 men for most of the game?

Was it Norwich and Millwall? Can't remember.

The Millwall game for me was the game of the season, Benarbia got himself sent off in the first 10mins or so and it looked like it could be a dodgy night for us, but they were never in it and we could have scored 10 that night easily - Pearce even missed a penalty as well!! before the Goat saved the day with 2 goals late on. I remember the Millwall boss at the time saying it was one of the best performances he had seen in a long long time.

We seemed to play even better that season when we went down to 10 men, when we played Newcastle in the FA Cup fifth round we battered them for 30mins then Dunne got sent off! but it didn't make a bit of difference we battered them for 90mins only to get robbed by a stuffy second half goal, but it was an top quality performance against a top 6 premiership side at the time.

Great memories from that season:

Sheff Wednesday away, 6-2, massive City following at Hillsborough.

Sheff United away when Dunne charged down the right wing to cross for Goater on a freezing, icy new years day.

Coventry away, lost 4-3, but the City fans were singing Ali Ali Ali for long periods... even though we lost it was a great game.

Wolves at home in the fog... Dunne's brilliant last ditch tackle... HTF I remember that I do not know!!!

Notts County away in the Cup on September 11th... a sad day when everyone's thoughts were elsewhere but City still managed to nearly blow it against a crap team before winning in extra time.

The whole season was brilliant... my best yet as a City fan.... maybe this one could better it???

Petemeister said:
what about gillingham away where benarbia did a sort of back heel flick up to goater who volleyed it in. benarbia my favourite ever player and he was free![/quo

It does not matter who we sign in the future with our new found wealth it will be Ali Bernabia who showed what a proper footballer is all about the guy was just pure class (dont care if it was in Div1 either before anyone comments) - "Always Ali"

I remember (from the video, I weren't there!) super Kev's thumping free kick in the fog against Wolves - a certain Joleon Lescott was sent off in that clash for a tackle from behind on Ali B.

Also, the 4-1 destruction of Ipswich away in the cup, a momentus result given a) our dodgy record there b) their then-premiership status c) their winning run of something like 6 out of 8 games at that time.

And who could forget Darren Huckerby's consecutive home hat-tricks?

Didsbury Dave said:
Remember us winning 2 or even 3 games where we had 10 men for most of the game?

Was it Norwich and Millwall? Can't remember.

norwich tiatto got sent off if i remember rightly. still won 3-1? loved that season. some of the best football i've seen at maine road. bernarbia and berkovic were a joy to watch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.