Do diferent jobs make you more tolerant to pain or safety?

urban genie

Just mentioned it on my gilet thread but being a chef the old asbestos finger guff rings true.

I have been sliced, skewered, burnt, steamed etc hundreds of time in the last 30 years and my tolerance to heat and cold (stock taking/preping in freezees for up to an hr at a time) seems to be more than those not in that trade, even today I picked up a heated plate like nowt gave it to the customer who bearly dropped it as too hot

also I have worked with people who needed to walk the edges of buildings or hang off balconies unharnessed.

So does your job change your tollerance/adaptability to thing others would feel pain/fear doing

Last edited:
I can also vouch for the Chef heat resistance. I put it down to the massive callusses (not a word I've ever wrote down before sorry if spelt wrong) you get from all the chopping and carrying stock pans.

Spent 10 years as a chef in a previous live and could quite easily take meat and veggies out of boiling water or stock by hand. I drew the line once at removing cooked beef joints from the oven with a damp tea towel, the pain was excrutiating and the beef joints went skating across the work surface and straight out of the window, 23 storeys up. I think it's a mind over matter thought process.

I worked in sales on the road travelling up to 40,000 miles a year, then started another sales job which was more office based and my mileage more than halved
It was very noticeable how my driving habits changed and how much slower I was on the motorway
Since becoming a taxi driver 5 years ago I rarely going a fraction over 70 on the motorway
Also more tolerant of sitting in traffic , probably because I’ve no choice
Will never be tolerant of boy racers weaving in and out of traffic

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.