Do you believe the Universe is infinite?

Damocles said:
BlueBearBoots said:
But isn't that just science anyway? Or physics? We know the answer definitely to one thing and can work out the rest based on that rule?
Or you are just being sarcastic and if so I'm not playing anymore

No I'm serious. The problem with trying to describe this is that entangled particles are a system of essentially random numbers that are ordered. When one of those random numbers escapes then the complete system is collapsed and you can know information about the rest of it based on the escaped particle.

The thing that appeals to me is that Sudoku is a game where people fully understand the idea of inter-connectivity and inference based on other information in each "system" like a box or a line.

It is how much of physics works. As I said, quantum entanglement is a little more mundane than others make it out on TV and the like. It's still fairly interesting though as we aren't sure of the details of how all of this works - the total value of the "system" doesn't seem to be pre-determined and instead the "collapse" of one part of it seems to determine the values of other parts.

I have just read that because John Bell didn't fully understand quantum physics he set out to prove Einstien right, that entanglement was just wrong and we must be missing something, he ended up proving Einstien totally wrong and not many people could ever claim that

The Universe I don't believe is infinite but I do believe there's more than one universe.

Watched this the other day , had me thinking that all the events that happened so that we are here now and so much more unlikely than a lottery win that I should be winning the lottery every week.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvNV0GdMilA[/video]

What was here before The Universe? Can't say nothing because if you do it brings up questions of time in a conceptual way.
Whether the The Universe is infinite is open to debate, I believe that if you set off in one way out intoThe Universe you will eventually return to the place you started, like travelling around the world.

kas_tippler said:
What was here before The Universe? Can't say nothing because if you do it brings up questions of time in a conceptual way.
Whether the The Universe is infinite is open to debate, I believe that if you set off in one way out intoThe Universe you will eventually return to the place you started, like travelling around the world.

Or Arguing with the wife.

Astronomers have stumbled across the biggest object ever detected in the Universe… and it’s a void that stretches for 1.8 billion light years.

Distinguishable by its emptiness, the ‘supervoid’, as it's being called, isn't the only hole in the Universe, but it's the biggest patch we've found, and is abnormal in the typically evenly distributed Universe.

The supervoid was spotted by scientists trying to explain an unusually cool patch in the radiation left over from the Big Bang, known as the Universe’s cosmic microwave background. You can see this patch, which researchers named the 'Cold Spot', circled in the image above, taken by the European Space Agency's (ESA) Planck telescope.

For the past decade, researchers have been extremely interested in the Cold Spot, because it doesn't fit with our current understanding of how the Universe evolved. While a few small warm and cold patches are expected, we shouldn't see such big cold patches, according to the current model.

So an international team of astronomers decided to investigate further, and stumbled across the hole. Although the void isn’t entirely empty, there are an estimated 10,000 galaxies missing from the patch of sky.

Previous studies had missed the supervoid as they were looking too far back - the researchers used the Pan-STARRS1 telescope in Hawaii, and NASA's Wide Field Survey Explorer to count the number of galaxies in a patch of sky just 3 billion light years away.

"This is the greatest supervoid ever discovered," one of the researchers András Kovács, from the Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest, told Hannah Devlin over at The Guardian. "In combination of size and emptiness, our supervoid is still a very rare event. We can only expect a few supervoids this big in the observable universe."

The supervoid isn't actually a vacuum, but because it's so sparse - it contains around 20 percent less matter than the rest of the Universe - it sucks energy from light travelling through it, partially contributing to the Cold Spot's unusually low temperature.

But, frustratingly, it still doesn't fully explain why that region of the sky is so cold.

"The void itself I’m not so unhappy about. It’s like the Everest of voids – there has to be one that’s bigger than the rest," Carlos Frenk, a cosmologist from the University of Durham in the UK, who wasn't involved in the research, told Devlin. "But it doesn’t explain the whole Cold Spot, which we’re still in the dark about."

The one thing the slow-down of light as it passes through the supervoid does support, however, is the fact that the Universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. As Devlin explains:

"This is because the photons convert kinetic energy to gravitational potential as they travel to the heart of the void and get further from denser surrounding patches of universe - think of it as climbing a hill. In a stationary universe, the situation would be symmetrical and so the photons would regain the lost energy on the way out of the void (down the hill) and exit at the same speed.

In an accelerated expansion of the universe, however, everything is effectively becoming less dense as space is stretched out, so voids become relatively shallower over time. This means by the time the light descends the virtual hill, the hill has become flatter and the light cannot pick up all the speed it lost on the way in."

So if you weren't already feeling like the Universe was a cold, lonely place, don't worry, there are now holes out there thousands of times bigger than our entire galaxy.

ancoats said:
everything must have a beginning and end and questions of WHY us with water and oxygen for living human and animal life on earth WHY we have a moon and sun it cannot be just down to luck

Agreed.

It's called evolution

Not sure why 'luck' is such a horrible consideration.

Think of something massively improbable, a one in a million chance. A one in a million chanced event would theoretically happen six thousand times a day on Earth.

Damocles said:
Not sure why 'luck' is such a horrible consideration.

Think of something massively improbable, a one in a million chance. A one in a million chanced event would theoretically happen six thousand times a day on Earth.

A million to one is great odds, especially in the Discworld. I'd put money on it.

In the fragile reality of Discworld, and with the gods who like to play games, a million-to-one chance succeeds nine times out of ten.
Traditionally, one has to say "it's a million-to-one chance, but it might just work!" to invoke this rule. It also has to be exactly a million to one - none of this fiddly "995,351 to 1" business, or whatever other number you might end up with. So while the list of things that people have accomplished with million to one chances is quite impressive, the list of things they have failed to accomplish with odds a few percentage points off in either direction is probably a lot longer and involves a lot more fatalities.

ancoats said:
marco said:
i think the universe is like an expanding bubble and it will eventually expand to its limit then start to deflate and at the final point of deflation there will be a chemical reaction to start it all over again, we are one of trillions of universes just suspended there like bubbles in a pint pot, we are positioned in the habitable zone between the sun and other planets but that's only habitable to us and not other species so i think there are many planets out there occupied by some form of life, out of all the known planets it would be interesting to see whats under the ice of Europa as there are active thermal vents, just a shame its not in my lifetime

I don't get why and how the sun and moon placements are so important to living life on earth its so unbelievable that all 3 just happened like that. a greater thing other than man is the power in the Universe and we will never understand it and many have spent there whole life looking for it and the answer is really man is land locked to earth

earth is man and outside of our great planet nothing really matters its not going to be man that finds the answers it will find us

We evolved because/despite of the positions of the sun and moon. They weren't Taylor made for us. We adapted to it. We evolved because of it. We are a bipoduct of it.
The same as other life has invariably endeavoured through different obstacles and circumstances to evolve.
I have no doubt in my mind that there is sentient life on other planets, in exactly the same situation as us.
Some sulphur eating, nitrogen breathing, Mercury drinking squid like creatures looking up at the sky thinking
"wow. What made us so lucky to have all this, I wonder if anyone else has done the same somewhere trillions of miles away. Nah probably not, it must be a supreme being. I shall call him bod."
This could have happened millions of times over, with millions of different outcomes.
Life finds a way, whatever the conditions.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we are not all that special. The universe is pretty big, we cannot be the only position in the whole universe that supports life, regardless of the form it takes.

Infinite is a scary word, and I don't believe that the universe can be infinite. My tiny human brain needs to define boundaries to allow me imagine scale. The men in black analogy is quite a good thought though. One universe Of many. (albeit held by a massive alien playing marbles) physics is not my strong point by any means, but is there such a thing as infinite in the world of physics? Surely that would throw a huge (endless) Spanner in the calculation works?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.