Do you remember when footy boots were black?

Boots should be black with a small amount of white branding allowed

If you wear anything else you are a fucking twat

burnagelane said:
Going back further the boots were brown and were named "Stanley Mathews", they had a steel toe cap and a strap across the top. Permanent leather studs, nailed in,....did they cause some injuries.
The ball seemed to weigh a ton, specially in the wet, heading it could put you out for a fortnight.
Shin guards had cane in them.
The continentals introduced the soft boots,.they were much better.

Did I hear someone say "the good old days?"

Yep. Remember all that.

My first boots given to me were these Jimmy Grimble "Stanley Mathews" hand me downs. No thought of size, they were boots so I should be grateful. I wouldnt wear them though even though they were nearly new.

Finally persuaded my folks to buy me, their 10 year old, a pair of new fangled continental boots that didnt cover the ankle. Soft black leather that didnt have to be broken in with cheaper plastic moulded studs and soles. Three white stripes too in the days before Adidas became a brand. Before 1960 and well before George Best pushed Stylo brand footie boots. Did anyone actually wear a pair of this high street tat?

I mainly stuck with Adidas and Puma after that. Even these boots took a lot of looking after with the mud heaps that passed for pitches back then. You had to scrub off the mud, dry them slowly so they didnt go hard and crack and then cover them with dubbin. Same with balls which were inflated with a bike pump, laced up and dubbined. A wet ball on a frosty morning was like kicking a block of soggy ice. A wet ball in the goolies on a frosty morning was the worst pain I ever experienced.

This job of boot cleaning went to apprentices at football clubs. Now boots are synthetic slippers that come in any colour and pattern that can be wiped clean. I like the look of the old black leather boots and am sure they will come back into fashion as a retro style.

I do remember when boots were black. My first pair were Nike Division, that I had for school footie, I also had a pair of New Balance and a pair of Adidas Samba Special/Spezial astros, that were part of my school uniform as we played togger every morning play, dinner time and afternoon play !. For PE I had Dunlop greenflash !.

Pigeonho said:
Bendtner took untold amounts of shit from the press for his pink boots a few seasons back, basically because he's shit.
Hahahaha.

I suppose you've gotta justify being garish.

Wearing those boots suddenly everyone think you're a c#nt.

I can't remember the brand but I always hated those boots the "dirty" Leeds players wore back in the day. They looked really odd. Think it may have been admiral.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Do I remember them when they were black? Jeez, I remember them when they were brown and had to be dubbined and the studs came with nails sticking out of them and you had to hammer then in using a cobbler's last!
Excellent!

I can go back a fair bit, but not that far. I remember getting a tour of the England changing rooms at Wembley way back in the early 80's. One of Villa's past stars, Gordon Cowans' peg was set out with his boots below. His boots had the 3 white stripes blacked out and a Puma stripe painted in.

My first boots were horrible leather "Stanley Matthews" type of things, one lad in my class a few years later has a pair of Tuffspin with swiveling studs, rich git............shit a football though!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.