Does anybody remember shopping here ?

bluekeith

CSR_MEN_201015badge_03.jpg
CSR_MEN_201015badge_01.jpg

We have come a long way

Good photos. I spent a fair amount of saved up pocket money in there during the 80s. When would you say that photo was taken? By the kit on display, I would say about 1992

I remember purchasing a souvenir ball and the lady behind the counter pointed out that it said Manchster City and did I still want it.

Didn't we get something like 10k a year from the franchise until Franny Lee booted them out?

It really was a second rate operation but the lady behind the counter (sorry can't remember her name) was a proper blue. Used to help out at Junior Blues meetings and was involved in the match day coaches IIRC.

I remember purchasing a souvenir ball and the lady behind the counter pointed out that it said Manchster City and did I still want it.

Didn't we get something like 10k a year from the franchise until Franny Lee booted them out?

It really was a second rate operation but the lady behind the counter (sorry can't remember her name) was a proper blue. Used to help out at Junior Blues meetings and was involved in the match day coaches IIRC.
Janice - Stan Gibson's daughter, lovely women.

When Lee took over he was shocked to discover Eddie Phillips (who was very pro Swales) who ran it gave City 60K a season..... Lee also found out Phillips owned the rights to the club badge so when Lee decided to cancel Phillips contract to run the shop, Phillips prevented the club from using his badge - hence the reason we have the badge we do today.

I used to shop in the one opposite in the 1960/70`s, that I think was owned by someone (Paul ??) who had something to do with Granada.
Do you mean the one half way down Maine Road opposite the Main Stand? (and not the one on the corner of Maine Road / Claremont Road)
I bought a few large badges from there, I still have a couple.... one says ''Sid Vicious wouldn't be seen dead watching Man United''

Janice - Stan Gibson's daughter, lovely women.

When Lee took over he was shocked to discover Eddie Phillips (who was very pro Swales) who ran it gave City 60K a season..... Lee also found out Phillips owned the rights to the club badge so when Lee decided to cancel Phillips contract to run the shop, Phillips prevented the club from using his badge - hence the reason we have the badge we do today.

He's trying to spin it as something else now
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ews/manchester-city-free-change-back-10299158

Thought i was in santas grotto being in the old shop! Just having somewhere that sold city gear - was amazing back then to me - we're all spoilt now ;)
And i love Janice, me and my mum were the last ever customers in the maine road shop, on the very last day that city owned maine road before it went to the council (if i remember right that would mean 30th june 2003, council from 1st july), we spent an hour sat in there talking with her til closing time, she was gutted tbh, i'm not surprised with all her family memories..

While i'm on here, wish someone from the council would fix the slab that covers the time capsule at maine road, it's in stans name and when i was there a few weeks back it's broke and been slid off.. A big deal was made of opening it with Janice and Tony Book etc there, but it's just been trashed.
Img_1129_zpsd8iinue9.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.