Does Mark Hughes deserve the best managers job in Europe?

Dogs Knob said:
Seriously?

Managers generally dont tend to like to have a black mark in the form of a sacking on their record, ask Sven, I think its a bit of a poisoned chalice similar to that of Newcastle - whatever a new manager does isn't going to be good enough now the mentality of your club has changed, with the large investment.

Its not a bad job, dont get me wrong as there is money in the pot, but its hardly that attractive at the moment - a few years down the line who knows, but currently, not very appealing.

I don't know about poisoned chalice, the new ownership hasn't actually sacked a manager yet and there is nothing to suggest that they are as trigger happy as maybe some on here.

As for waiting a few years, I think that reduces some of the appeal of the job. Picking a club from the lower reaches of the league is going to be seen as more of an achievement than gaining success from a club already on the brink of it. Sure it might be a bit of a longer process, and there might be a few difficult times early in the piece but I reckon the "wakening the sleeping giant" job is one of the best ones there is.

moomba said:
As for waiting a few years, I think that reduces some of the appeal of the job. Picking a club from the lower reaches of the league is going to be seen as more of an achievement than gaining success from a club already on the brink of it. Sure it might be a bit of a longer process, and there might be a few difficult times early in the piece but I reckon the "wakening the sleeping giant" job is one of the best ones there is.

Good post - someone coming in and getting City inside the top 6-10 by the end of the season may be a good start & that is quite a realistic challenge, which could help build the new managers credibility with the fans. Only problem is top managers want to compete in the top competitions, which is why, even with the endless pot of gold, it could be at least a couple of years before the type of manager that keeps getting mentioned would seriously consider dropping a top European club job and moving to the Eastlands.

*singingtheblues* said:
CBlue said:
They may be more prestigious but I don't believe they are any more appealing than the "Manchester bloody City" job. From a managers perspective you have the opportunity to build something very special with less pressure than those other jobs. We have constantly lurched from bad to abysmal & back to bad. We finished 9th last season & qualified for Europe - SGE was a hero! This job isn't just about building a team it is about building a club. You have the opportunity to start from scratch; a blank canvass. You have the resources to build a dream club. It really is fantasy football & if you're a manager worth his salt & "had a pair" then you'd be making the call to Cooke to offer your services.
As a life long supporter my expectations on Sept 1 was for us, if we over achieved, to be in the Champs league in 2 - 3 years time & maybe a chance of a pot - realistically it would take 4 - 5 years. Tell me honestly whether you believe that the "supporters" of these more "prestigious" clubs have that same expectation?

What is the down side to this job?
- the lack of prestige? Buy a couple of household names & they give you the prestige.
- the pressure of expectation? There is more pressure to deliver at the clubs mentioned above than City (do you think Hughes would still be manager at any of those clubs with City's league position?).
- the lack of resources to build a team to compete? Hmmmmm.......

This is truly one of the best managers jobs currently out there.

My thoughts exactly, but you didn't answer the question...

Do you think Mark Hughes deserves the job? Has he got the credentials?

No, he doesn't deserve the job & his credentials were no better than Alan Ball's when he was appointed City manager (he took Portsmouth to an FA cup semi final & won them promotion).

I posted at length, with proof, when he was first appointed about his lack of tactical ability to beat the top teams. His Blackburn teams, although gaining entry to Europe, were dumped out very early. I was willing to give him a chance but that chance has come & gone. He has done absolutely nothing to inspire me.

bizzbo said:
this is a much harder job than you seem to think, there is a tonne of work to do to get us even into the top 6, loads of uncertainties and problems. yep, the funding is good, but the expectation is beyond massive, and there is nothing substantial (apart from the dosh) to build upon

The expectation may be beyond massive but it is still less than the expectations of the other clubs in that list plus you wouldn't have the luxury of time to build a dynasty - the expecations are immediate.

He hasn't got the best managers job in Europe ..... It has the potential to be a very good job, possibly the best, but it certainly isn't at the moment.

Question, forget you support us and ask yourself this. You're a top manager, you're used to managing the best there is. If you were today offered the job of managing City, Barca, Real, AC or Inter, who would you go to? Honestly, would it be City?

Which manager would you bring in if we got rid of Hughes Monday? Would a top manager, managing a top level club leave his club mid season to come to us? Maybe in the summer, probably not now. Which managers presently available have got Premiership experience and if the ones available are so damn good, whey are they out of work?

moomba said:

Moomba, but how many managers actually do this? The top level managers move between the top level clubs, clubs where 'crisis' consists of coming 2nd in the league and not winning the CL. We're no where near the level Chelsea were at when Jose took over there, we're not even at the Ranieri level of progression! People seem to think we'll get a big name manager and immediately be challenging for honours. What happens if we still underachieve? Boot them out too?

Our squad is paper thin, not as good as some people seem to think, the whole club has been run by a load of clowns (or despot lunatics) for as long as I can remember. It has been massively underfunded for years, two summers of spending don't even come close to making up how far behind we were.

I've become just as disillusioned as most after the last few weeks and I'm very grateful I don't have to make any decisions! Hmmm, where is that fence ....!!!

PaulC1979 said:
Moomba, but how many managers actually do this? The top level managers move between the top level clubs, clubs where 'crisis' consists of coming 2nd in the league and not winning the CL. We're no where near the level Chelsea were at when Jose took over there, we're not even at the Ranieri level of progression! People seem to think we'll get a big name manager and immediately be challenging for honours. What happens if we still underachieve? Boot them out too?

I honestly think we are in a unique position at the moment, you're top level jobs don't become available every day and we have a whole lot to offer a big name manager. Great facilities (will no doubt be the best in the world in very near future), a whole lot of cash to spend and the chance to manage some of the top players in the world in the very near future. The salary we will offer the right person will probably be better than they could get anywhere else, and I actually think there will be less pressure in the early stages than you would get at one of the "big" clubs.

And I seriously doubt anyone thinks a big name manager is all we need to start challenging for honours, it will take time but the right appointment (if one needs to be made) will speed up that process.

allblackcitizen said:
*singingtheblues* said:

Does that happen to you often?

Why is everyone going to bed? I know it's dark but it's only half 4.

Wakey Wakey everyone. Ric's right, there's any number of managerial jobs across Europe that would appeal before City. We're a project, being built from quite low foundations. It will take time, hard work, unpopular decisions, maybe a couple of false starts before we can seriously hope to rival the traditionally successful clubs. City's only appeal at present is being cash rich, having the best academy around and a loyal, if hard to please, fan base.

which is more than aston villa have and tbh i recon we have a better team on paper than thay do. but they have martin o neill. so to answer your question singingtheblues id say no.............

Dogs Knob said:
*singingtheblues* said:
I cannot for the life of me understand why no one will answer the question, I am genuinely interested, why has everyone avoided the question?

What makes you think the City job is attractive? Aside from the money, the jobs almost as bad as Newcastle's.

Seriously how can you claim your club is an attractive one to manage when people's heads are being called for because of the near impossible targets that have been set.

Running a little scared are we? You want us to keep Hughes because you know that he's a shit manager & therefore won't be challenging you too soon with him in charge.

There have been no "near impossible targets" set - unless you know better? Perhaps you are right because with the squad he currently has it would be near impossible for for him to get us relegated - but he's having a good go. His head is being called for because he isn't even meeting basic targets.

Now fuck off & get back to colouring in pictures of your favourite tranny.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.