Don’t Blame Fans For The Empty Seats

The biggest difference is that 80% of grounds are now filled with season ticket holders where as this used to be 25-50% if you were lucky. This means for league games almost all teams in the Premier League sell out because the actual amount of tickets being sold is negligible. For a cup game they have to "sell significantly" more to sell out (they need to shift 50000 for a Cup and 8000 for a league game). If your season ticket is (hypothetically) £570 -that is £30 a game. The fact that 8000 people pay £60 for that one game is irrelevant, to most it is £30. Ultimately when it is a cup game 45000 people who are paying £30 per game are being asked to pay £60.
Saying all that - it was dirt cheap at United last week £29 for a Semi Final - its just that they don't have 659 million mythical fans and now they are shit they are not going

I don't really blame anyone for empty seats. Clubs aren't obligated to give the tickets away for nothing, and supporters aren't obligated to pay what they're asking. If enough seats are empty for long enough the prices will adjust pretty quickly.

The biggest difference is that 80% of grounds are now filled with season ticket holders where as this used to be 25-50% if you were lucky. This means for league games almost all teams in the Premier League sell out because the actual amount of tickets being sold is negligible. For a cup game they have to "sell significantly" more to sell out (they need to shift 50000 for a Cup and 8000 for a league game). If your season ticket is (hypothetically) £570 -that is £30 a game. The fact that 8000 people pay £60 for that one game is irrelevant, to most it is £30. Ultimately when it is a cup game 45000 people who are paying £30 per game are being asked to pay £60.
Saying all that - it was dirt cheap at United last week £29 for a Semi Final - its just that they don't have 659 million mythical fans and now they are shit they are not going

What about that massive waiting list that the armchair rags always quote ?

Here are some fcats from 1976.

Typical football admission price ( rags v Arse ) was 70p. Typical cinema entry 72p. Average weekly wage was 70 pounds.

So, in 1976 going to the pictures and going to the footy were comparable admission costs and was 1% of your average earnings.

Here are some facts for 2019.

Typical admission fee is £40 for footy, cinema is $10 if you get lucky. Weekly wage is £570. Going to cinema costs you 1.75% of your weekly wages. Footy costs you 7%.

In summary. Football now costs you 7 times more in real terms than it did 35 years ago. I guess you have to pay to watch the best and in comfort but 7 times more?
Pedantic I know. 1976 to 2020 is 44 years. Hope your other figures are correct. The point you make is certainly correct as is the previous poster commenting on the number of games.

While every set of fans take the mickey when grounds are not full, lets look at the reason why it happens. At the swamp the other night by all accounts there were thousands of unsold Unit*d tickets. Many of those were £50 plus, while its great to take the piss, coming just after Christmas you cant blame fans who just cant afford to go. Many clubs including City at times get their pricing horribly wrong. For Port Vale & the Rags it and Fulham it was spot on ,for Real Madrid its barmy. Clubs up and down the country are struggling to fill there grounds week after week. The days and times of games are a big factor, fans are fed up of making plans then the game gets changed. The "Match Day Experience" isn't always up to expectations as fans can que up for ages then get treated like 2nd class citizens. Clubs don't appreciate loyalty anymore they just want to make as much money as possible and if that means excluding local, loyal fans so be it. Being a Football Fan is a dear do so no doubt more & more will pick and chose which games to go to. Flexibility in ticket pricing would be a big boost to fans everywhere, but clubs are reluctant to sell tickets cheaper for less popular games. Clubs and players may be rich but ordinary fans aren't. So next time we see a club with loads of empty seats at a game remember it is probably not because the fans don't want to go but they just cant afford to

I agree with everything you’ve put. The ticket prices for Madrid are ridiculous. I’ll bet the other games like Fulham and United sell out easily - why? Because they are affordable. They will be full of locals as well - most of whom won’t be at the Madrid game

However one of the main reason that there’s is lots I’m empty seats is because the club sell on ticket to ticket agencies. I’ve mentioned it other threads, but it’s a disgrace what the club are doing. Rows of seats sold off to the highest bidder, not in corporate areas either.

United away in the cup was the biggest example of that. Barely any tourists or corporates because the club hadn’t given loads of tickets away

Last edited:
CL group games averaged 50k. FA Cup v Port Vale was 52k. All our league games are sell outs.

Those games were sold out or close to sold out because they were affordable. Port vale in particular was very cheap and we had the champions league deal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.