Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Obama administration ended immigrant family detention in 2009 — and brought it back in 2014

Its not a tweet so people may not take it as gospel but ... FACT

I was in the pub, trying to find the document which enforced zero-tolerance. I don't have access to the American Law Library so a Tweet will have to do, I'm afraid

I'm all ears - if you have anything that shows any kids were separated from their parents at the border then put in cages, please provide a link

The Obama administration ended immigrant family detention in 2009 — and brought it back in 2014

Why is Obama even a factor for this conversation?

There are thousands of kids living in internment camps due to the current administration policy. The administration that controls the entire US government right now. The administration that is issuing and enforcing these orders.

This could be ended with a phone call.

But instead they are mocking the situation, saying it's not happening, and claiming it's in accord with "biblical morals".

We've taken in 6,000 in those circumstances through Dublin, Drogheda, Rosslare and lots of smaller ports across Munster. They're all in housing from Mosney in Meath down to Lisdoonvarna in Clare and there's even 2 families down the road from me in Waterville. They were brought in safely from the seas by the Irish navy and fair dues to the navy lads for the work they're after doing.

You'd be an illegal migrant now as you've no reason to claim asylum. You've no persecution and every chance in life. You live in a country where you complain about disposable income. These poor cunts are fleeing from a country where they've no safety, no security, no guarantee their children will live through another day. If a town a wealthy and prosperous as Kinsale were to give out about giving sanctuary to a couple of hundred people that have been through hell I'd suggest that the town as a whole need a kick in the fucking teeth.
Honestly I don't know why I bothered saying anything.

At the end of the day I've no problem bringing into Ireland (and I'm sure the Americans are the same in general) anyone who's a genuine asylum case or any economic migrant who was legal.

Once it's processed properly. But that is the difficult bit.

I'll go back to saying nothing cos either the lefties or the righties will graciously offer to kick your teeth in and I have precious few left as it is.

And the zero tolerance policy that’s now being implemente????

As I said, you don’t know the meaning of the fucking word. And the fact you claim it’s faux outrage shows you up for what you obviously are.

Under Obama, families were detained - that's true, but mothers/children were only separated on rare occasions - a handful a year, not 1995 in six weeks - and it wasn't policy to do so. A Texas law professor is quoted quite widely as saying that often , under Obama, the parent was released to reunite with the kid, regardless of processing.

The move to prosecute and jail everyone means by law they are forced to separate the children, so it is the move to prosecute everyone - zero tolerance, which forces separation - that has caused the current change and the headlines.

Under Obama, families were detained - that's true, but mothers/children were only separated on rare occasions - a handful a year, not 1995 in six weeks - and it wasn't policy to do so. A Texas law professor is quoted quite widely as saying that often , under Obama, the parent was released to reunite with the kid, regardless of processing.

The move to prosecute and jail everyone means by law they are forced to separate the children, so it is the move to prosecute everyone - zero tolerance, which forces separation - that has caused the current change and the headlines.
Fact.

I think Trump is an awful president and the media that support him are very dangerous. And I think a huge chunk of people who unquestionably support him are the worst of American culture. And the people who unquestionably support him from abroad are just looking for any excuse to spout right wing crap.

But ...I agree with you that it's highly hypocritical to not address our own sins. And that it's becoming almost fashionable to berate Trump. And that some of what he does (or the guys at the lowest levels do) is not bad minded. Some could look at lot more palatable if the guy at the top wasn't Trump and the people supporting it weren't Fox.

When it comes to immigration it's a horrible dilemma. You can't allow illegal immigration IMO. You have to be tough but you also have to not to be cruel. But it's a fine line. You need a mix of cold logical thinkers and some genuinely fairminded people to ensure the policy, processes and enforcement is effective and humane. It's a crazy emotional cocktail.

I couldn't be on those borders. My heart would be broke by what you'd logically have to see or do.

The answer I guess is in stopping the mass immigration before it occurs but that needs political cooperation and with someone like Trump is that likely?

Super post fella!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.