Donald Trump

In British English, Mathematics is a count noun because of the different branches. So Maths is correct.
We know the s is a suffix because we say mathematically, not mathematicsally. Same as statistically, electronically, acoustically, gymnastically, politically, athletically, all of which otherwise would have an s on the end. They also usually lose the s when they become an adjective, which is what suffixes do (change the grammar of a word). The thing that they all have in common is that they are extremely broad areas of study that involve multiple elements, hence, I'd argue, why they have the plural -s on the end. It's basic logic. Oh shit, that's the word that disproves the whole argument. It's basic logics.

What’s the study of the economy called when you’re at college or university? Or what about politics, linguistics, ethics, tactics, aesthetics etc.

And you may say not all of them have a shorter version but you’re into football yeah? How would you say the shortened version of statistics?
Again, the word started as mathematica, then they changed the a at the end to the English plural of s, it was then shortenend to math's and the the Americans dropped the 's and the British dropped the '. Both are correct

It's a preference. Hence why you and all the other English numskulls are wrong.

I won't correct you when you say 'maths' and you don't get to correct me when I say 'math'. Contrary to what you think, you don't have a logical basis for correcting others. Just a preference.

Color, colour flavor, flavour etc. We just do it differently.

Sick of people questioning his intellect, Donald Trump organizes a televised convention where he will answer a question live in front of 50,000 of his supporters

The compare asks Donald "Can you name one country other than United States?" "Sure", says Donald, "Paris."

"I'm afraid that's wrong" says the compere. The crowd start chanting "One more go , one more go"

The compere gives in, turns to Donald, and says "What is three times eight". "53" says Donald.

"I'm afraid that's wrong" says the compere. The crowd start chanting "One more go , one more go"

The compere gives in again, turns to Donald, and says "What is two plus two". Donald thinks for a minute and finally says "4".

The crowd start chanting "One more go , one more go"...
Per the earlier discussion re: math and maths — that would be funny if we Yanks referred to an opportunity or a turn as a “go”, but we typically don’t. Would probably be “time” or “chance.”

Last edited:
In British English, Mathematics is a count noun because of the different branches. So Maths is correct.
Plus it's our language so stop fucking bastardising. Knocking U or GH out of words cos you're too lazy to spell the long version.
Bloody yanks :)
Or us Dubliners not pronouncin’ T.
Or the endin’ of a lot of words, for tha’ matter. Try saying matter without the two T’s. There ye go. Dublinese.

Last edited:
Again, the word started as mathematica, then they changed the a at the end to the English plural of s, it was then shortenend to math's and the the Americans dropped the 's and the British dropped the '. Both are correct

It's a preference. Hence why you and all the other English numskulls are wrong.

I won't correct you when you say 'maths' and you don't get to correct me when I say 'math'. Contrary to what you think, you don't have a logical basis for correcting others. Just a preference.

Color, colour flavor, flavour etc. We just do it differently.
Numskulls, Numbskulls.
Jus’ sayin’.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.