Donald Trump

1. But I believe the majority of the 45% are simply people who have always voted Republican, not MAGA necessarily.

2. Evangelicals have always been around and always will be. That’s not changing. The “world has passed us by and I’m angry” types — that’s a little bit newer, or different than it was. The way I’d put it — social media has made them quite keenly aware of their “failings” or, better put, the success of others.

3. You’re right that an obviously Godless man has unified Evangelicals is odd. Of course, IMO, Evangelicals are looking for easy answers to complicated questions. That’s why they embrace what they do (or why it’s easy for grifters to sell them the answers). Trump taps the same vibe.

4. All populist movements in the US have eventually died out, or are killed. Again that’s because those in power historically are centrists, and centrism benefits the rich. If certain Southern states gradually go blue due to in-migration as the West has, under the EC, the GOP won’t be able to get a presidential candidate elected without changing its platform/rhetoric, and MAGA gets effectively defunded because it’s not a winning message. That religious shysterism has spilled into the political arena can’t make grifting pastors that happy — do you want MAGA buying Trump gear or giving the money to you? God will take back what is His, I assure you, and religion will be the opiate (and profit center) it once was as opposed to politics.
I'd put all Trump voters into 2 camps:-

1 the low education / easily conned dumb ass base. They watch fox news and like what they see. They shut out everything that challenges the simple safe traditional values they are advocating (ignoring the negatives like blatant racism and misogyn). Most evangelicals fit this type.

2 the smart but cynical right wing self centred types who know that Trump is a grifter and compulsive liar but they don't have a problem with it as they are on board with the broad program of divisive and regressive politics and a government that doesn't function well (many would prefer no federal government or taxes at all).

I'd put all Trump voters into 2 camps:-

1 the low education / easily conned dumb ass base. They watch fox news and like what they see. They shut out everything that challenges the simple safe traditional values they are advocating (ignoring the negatives like blatant racism and misogyn). Most evangelicals fit this type.

2 the smart but cynical right wing self centred types who know that Trump is a grifter and compulsive liar but they don't have a problem with it as they are on board with the broad program of divisive and regressive politics and a government that doesn't function well (many would prefer no federal government or taxes at all).
I’d say there’s a third group who aren’t specifically interested in policy other than ones that will make them money and will vote for Trump if they become richer as a result.

A lot of people are saying Yale have asked for his certificates back.
I mean thirty years ago we made A MOVIE WITH A SCENE ABOUT HOW FUNNY IT IS WHEN PEOPLE DON'T KNOW HOW TO PRONOUNCE HAITI OR HAITIANS.

It was a movie about a clueless and ditzy (but beautiful and loveable, which Vance is not) SoCal high schooler.

Ironically, Alicia Silverstone IRL actually didn't know how to pronounce "Haitians", but her mistake made the scene much funnier, so Penelope Spheeris left the take as is in.

I mean thirty years ago we made A MOVIE WITH A SCENE ABOUT HOW FUNNY IT IS WHEN PEOPLE DON'T KNOW HOW TO PRONOUNCE HAITI OR HAITIANS.

It was a movie about a clueless and ditzy (but beautiful and loveable, which Vance is not) SoCal high schooler.

Ironically, Alicia Silverstone IRL actually didn't know how to pronounce "Haitians", but her mistake made the scene much funnier, so Penelope Spheeris left the take as is in.

To be to fair to Alicia Stevenson, she just assumed that it was read phonetically rather than as an S sounding T.

It's also dumber to mispronounce the country when that's far more commonly used than the demonym.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.