Donald Trump

We've been down this path before -- "politicians play no part" -- who ultimately is on the selection committee and why couldn't a bad actor (or actors) there subvert the process?

I am not insisting that no part of the Constitution is failing -- it can and has failed in the past; that's what Amendments are for. Moreover it was DESIGNED to be changed. Amendments aren't impossible -- but they are difficult, and are designed to be.

I don't dislike the "pay judges/politicians more" argument and have advocated for it before, though it opens up other potential bad motivations. I feel the same way, for example, about the Electoral College, about which I have mixed feelings.

Trump has "subverted" the process because he's a bad actor, as are possibly some of those he appointed.
Of course it is always possible for a bad actor to attempt to subvert any process. The trick is in the regs for the process. The make up of the committee is enshrined in the law as are the processes they must follow.
Half are lawyers and half are non lawyers. They go through an application and selection process which takes into account their record to date. Their minutes are public.
Trump has no such process to follow hence he appoints Cannon a federal judge when she has presided over precisely four cases at state level. Her first federal case concerns national security.

Last edited:
Well, I’d say nearly 250 years of history and no civil war since the 1860s suggests they’re doing at least an okay job.
Just 250 years? A mere bagatelle. UK’s last civil war was nearly 400 years ago, unless you count colonial rebellion in 1773 onwards!

Of course it is always possible for a bad actor to attempt to subvert any process. The trick is in the regs for the process. The make up of the committee is enshrined in the law as are the processes they must follow.
Half are lawyers and half are non lawyers. They go through an application and selection process which takes into account their record to date. Their minutes are public.
Trump has no such process to follow hence he appoints Cannon a federal judge when she has presided over precisely four cases at state level. Her first federal case concerns national security.
He absolutely followed the process -- i.e. she had to clear the Judiciary Committee, and the Senate, after she was nominated. Those are supposed to be the checks. She may have lied during the confirmation/personal investigation process.

He absolutely followed the process -- i.e. she had to clear the Judiciary Committee, and the Senate, after she was nominated. Those are supposed to be the checks. She may have lied during the confirmation/personal investigation process.
My point is the nomination was not subject to a process. No qualifications required.

All accurate -- but also speaks to my point. No system can fully protect itself from bad actors. At the end of the day we rely on the voters to do that, and for those in power themselves to self-police. That some in the GOP have hit on the "election fraud" thematic so directly pretty much tells you how strong the overall Federal institutions are -- that's where they see the weak point, because the process is largely controlled by the individual states.
But those systems must be robust enough to be able to be changed and adjusted in response to new threats and challenges, and quickly where necessary. Unfortunately, the SC which is constitutionally mandated to be independent of government has been politicised (corrupted) to such a degree that it is nigh on impossible.

The whole system needs a reset, which can be said about many other established political institutions around the world.

Brett Kavanaugh certainly lied during his Senate confirmation hearings.

All accurate -- but also speaks to my point. No system can fully protect itself from bad actors. At the end of the day we rely on the voters to do that, and for those in power themselves to self-police. That some in the GOP have hit on the "election fraud" thematic so directly pretty much tells you how strong the overall Federal institutions are -- that's where they see the weak point, because the process is largely controlled by the individual states.

I have to agree here. there is no way to fully protect from bad actors in terms of people doing nefarious things. you can only learn from the mistakes and fill in the holes so next time they cannot be exploited. the the same as any system. there will be loopholes that can be exploited.

Over 90% of Congress is bought off by Aipac and dictates to them on foreign policy in the Middle East. Both sides of the Isle fuckin corrupted by these lobbyist working for a foreign Goverment.

It's one totally fucked up Country run by Cunts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.