Donald Trump

You sometimes just have to take a leap of faith.

That seems like a contiguous claim to make in regards to international diplomacy.

really you can count on how many agreements Russia has already broken that are relevant to this conflict, and argue that precedent forms a reasonable basis to consider ones expectations and the potential danger of naivity in this. Since treaties with Russia tend to not be worth the paper it was written on (even if it was previously utilised for the function of wiping of excrement) many likely asumes one would really need to be very naive to trust Russia, and they would see a rational basis to their judgement rather than just "faith" which is a very nebulous concept that has often led people to do ... the weirdest and most daft things immaginable, funny perhaps if its not like half of the times people die for it.

I’m pretty sure I wouldn't stand up straight afterwards and incant “fight”.

Would you?
I have absolutely no idea. None of us do and I don’t wish to find out anytime soon. I’m guessing we would act differently depending on the situation. If a madman with a gun broke into your home and was trying to rape your kids you would act differently than being shot at while sat at your desk eating your sandwiches. Who knows?

People who read this thread a lot will know I’ve been watching the Florida documents case very closely. While I’m not a lawyer and make no bones about that fact, I’m not sure there have been too many people matching my obsession for crawling court dockets and citing legal sources.

Despite that, this ruling from Cannon today is something I’m not sure anybody would have countenanced even a month ago - it has floored me with its brazenness. I noted Thomas’ concurring opinion in the immunity case. I also noted that not a single other justice on SCOTUS joined with him in his concurring opinion - not even Alito. That’s because it was totally off the rails, irrelevant musings that had no real basis within the boundaries of the immunity hearings.

Well the intention of his philosophical waxing has become abundantly clear today. Cannon cited his opinion numerous times in her order for dismissal. It is a dismissal, supported only by a SC justice’s opinion, but contradicted by hundreds of years of established legal precedent. There is simply no arguing with the black and white language in 28 USC §533:

The Attorney General may appoint officials-
(1) to detect and prosecute crimes against the United States;
(2) to assist in the protection of the person of the President; and
(3) to assist in the protection of the person of the Attorney General.
(4) to conduct such other investigations regarding official matters under the control of the Department of Justice and the Department of State as may be directed by the Attorney General.

The AG has the unfettered right to appoint a Special Counsel. This ruling is insane.

But they know that. What is happening here is extremely transparent. Thomas with his random diatribe in an unrelated case has attempted to provide just enough cover for Cannon to survive a hearing to get her recused from the case. And she has used that cover to (finally after months of fucking around) put out a ruling which is simply unsustainable.

This will go to the 11th. It will get overturned. Cannon may or may not get removed if they deem Thomas’ opinion is enough of a justification for being wrong. Then once again it will go all the way to SCOTUS. And even if they aren’t quite crazy enough to ride roughshod over the power of the judiciary for the second time in a year, it doesn’t matter. Cannon has done her job and she’s wound down the clock. This case won’t be heard for years. If ever.

This man has stolen and withheld highly classified documents that could compromise national security (some of which still haven’t been recovered). These documents were found in his fucking bathroom. It is about as open and shut a case as you can get. And it is the kind of thing others have spent decades in prison for. But it now seems unlikely that he will ever face consequences for those actions.

I have absolutely no idea. None of us do and I don’t wish to find out anytime soon. I’m guessing we would act differently depending on the situation. If a madman with a gun broke into your home and was trying to rape your kids you would act differently than being shot at while sat at your desk eating your sandwiches. Who knows?
What sort of sandwiches?

SCOTUS coming through for Shitgibbon. Using Thomas's argument to dismiss Smiths biggest case.
In the longer run, it may not help him. He committed the same crime in other states to where he transported documents, who may bring charges now the case is dead in Washington.
Correction: For Washington read Florida.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.