Donald Trump

Heres a few questions that play in my head, ill just ask them to people here:

In the case Trump loses the election:
1) do you think that Trump would accept and recognize that he lost the election or do you thin he will challenge that loss in any such case?
2) Do you see it as so likely//unlikely that Trump would make claims of a "stolen election" if he looses, to then go to create instability and rile sentiment against the government in part as means de de-legitimize it?
3) do you think that a repeat of jan 6 as likely/unlikely, albeit to a potential lesser or greater degree?
Or that in general perhaps even the mobilization of a great amount of die hard supporters might start to factor in when Trump seems to be at the loosing hand?
4) Could trump try to use the SC in a challenged election result, as a means to lend legitimacy to a power grab? Would we expect the Trump following to accept his presidency even if technically illegitimate if only the SC had publicly signed off on it?

Where does legitimacy lie in the US when elections are challenged? Afaik some government agency takes care of a lot of things, i need to look a bit further exactly as in how the transition of power goes and how much time there is between president elect and sitting president. If a truly fascist style power grab would be part of Trumps contingency planning then i think its mostly a matter of creating enough uncertainty instability in that "in between" period for Trump to "rise as the legitimate president" by some legitimizing organ of government like the SC, considering at least that Trump had hitherto worked to de-legitimize much of the system its vague who would be left otherwise as an "impartial arbiter". Albeit that the same SC also gave the prelude for the potential of Trump using his power from day one to jail his political opponents and replace people down various levels of government with loyalists.

Last edited:

In the case Trump looses the election:
1) do you think that Trump would accept and recognize that he lost the election or do you thin he will challenge that loss in any such case?
2) Do you see it as so likely//unlikely that Trump would make claims of a "stolen election" if he looses, to then go to create instability and rile sentiment against the government in part as means de de-legitimize it?
3) do you think that a repeat of jan 6 as likely/unlikely, albeit to a potential lesser or greater degree?
Or that in general perhaps even the mobilization of a great amount of die hard supporters might start to factor in when Trump seems to be at the loosing hand?
4) Could trump try to use the SC in a challenged election result, as a means to lend legitimacy to a power grab? Would we expect the Trump following to accept his presidency even if technically illegitimate if only the SC had publicly signed off on it?

Where does legitimacy lie in the US when ellections are challenged? Afaik some government agency takes care of a lot of things, i need to look a bit further exactly as in how the transition of power goes and how much time there is between president elect and sitting president. If a truly facsist style power grab would be part of Trumps contingency planning then i think its mostly a matter of creating enough uncertainty instability in that "in between" period for Trump to "rise as the legitimate president" by some legitimizing organ of government like the SC, considering atleast that Trump had hithertho worked to de-legitimize much of the system its vague who would be left otherwise as an "inpartial arbiter". Albeit that the same SC also gave the prelude for the potential of Trump using his power from day one to jail his political opponents and replace people down various levels of government with loyalists.
*loses

1) do you thin he will challenge that loss in any such case?
2) Do you see it as so likely that Trump would make claims of a "stolen election" if he looses, to then go to create instability and rile sentiment against the government in part as means de de-legitimize it?
3) do you think that a repeat of jan 6 as likely albeit to a potential lesser or greater degree?
Yes.

Only a Dem landslide with clear victories in both the popular vote and electoral college (and with wide margins of victory in most or all the key "swing" states) will keep him from trying any or all of these.

That landslide being improbable, trouble is coming.

Where does legitimacy lie in the US when elections are challenged? Afaik some government agency takes care of a lot of things, i need to look a bit further exactly as in how the transition of power goes and how much time there is between president elect and sitting president. If a truly fascist style power grab would be part of Trumps contingency planning then i think its mostly a matter of creating enough uncertainty instability in that "in between" period for Trump to "rise as the legitimate president" by some legitimizing organ of government like the SC, considering at least that Trump had hitherto worked to de-legitimize much of the system its vague who would be left otherwise as an "impartial arbiter". Albeit that the same SC also gave the prelude for the potential of Trump using his power from day one to jail his political opponents and replace people down various levels of government with loyalists.
Answering points 1-4...

1) Trump has never accepted defeat.
2) See 1. Also Jan 6th.
3) I see a repeat of a Jan 6th style assault on the Capital in the event of a Trump loss unlikely. Security will be more than ample this time 'round should Harris win, and criminal proceedings against the original Jan 6th insurrectionists will serve as a deterrent;
4) See 1 - of course he'll appeal. Also, die-hard MAGA are in a cult. Any result against them is "fixed."

As for the following paragraph... Trump will do practically anything short of killing someone (I think) to regain power.

As for your remarks about the SC... 2 justices are obviously corrupt. And all of the 6 Republican-leaning justices are willing to overturn decades of past rulings in order to effect their desired outcome. Yet, there does seem to be some bounds to how far the Republican-leaning justices will go. Should Trump lose in 2024 it's hard to imagine that the SC will step in for him, having previously failed to step in, in 2020.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.